Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 29er build – Which wheels?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

I’m building a 29er hardtail in Ti…..bit of all round XC use, odd trip to the Lakes but leaning towards a nice light build to race on. Am 84/85kg so wont go silly on weight saving, I’ve narrowed the choice down to 3. Will probably have a go at tubeless, first time with that. Budget around £500 or so.

American Classic Tubeless 29″ – 1600g. Get good reviews and look the part. Ready for tubeless. Have never used AC though and dont know anyone who has…..how do the hubs stand up?

Mavic Crossmax ST 29 – 1710g. I’ve always got on with Mavic wheels though not sure you get what you pay for. Set for tubeless.

Hope Pro2/Crest – Anyone know the weight of these in big wheel? Am I too big for Crest? These will just do the job and wont cost an arm and a leg right?

Other suggestions welcome too but thinking one of these.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Hope Pro2/Crest

These, they are about 1717g or so for the pair.

letmetalktomark

Flange has some rather nice carbon “Dave” wheels 😉

IA

Loving my AMclassics, light, tubeless easily, plenty stiff (I’m just under 90kg). Hubs have a good rep amongst folk I know.

Got them from http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/index.asp he had a good price, and always gives good service IME.

Wheels look ace too 😉

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Used 26″ AC, had them for over 4 years and not had to do a thing to them apart from grease the freehub. Using Hope Pro2/Crests on both my 29ers and not had a problem so far apart from dinging the back rim on a rock. Setting up tubeless on the Crests is easy, not tried on the AC.

mcboo
    Free Member

Thanks…..I can get Hope/Crest for £300, looks like AC will cost £500. Might come down to price.

thepurist

Bought some 26″ AC years ago when Merlin were knocking them out cheap. Have adjusted the rear hub once when a bit of play developed but they still spin and spin and spin on the original bearings. I stuck some Stans tape in them & now run them tubeless on my winter hardtail (that’s the one that’s being used at the mo) so they’ve taken their share of muck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘29er build – Which wheels?’ is closed to new replies.