Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • 29 vs 27.5 vs 27.5+? DH vs Trail? It's all here courtesy of Soho Bikes TV…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Chris Porter seems to be up for trying new stuff, just look at the Geometron!

That’s not Chris Porter trying new things… That’s Chris Porter finally finding someone to work with him and bring his vision to a commercial fruition. Fair play to the guy, he’s got his opinions. Some of them I agree with, some I take with a pinch of salt, and some I downright disagree with, but my opinions have been formed from an open mind trying out various different things for myself. Chris Porter’s opinion is that what works for him should work for everyone else, and that he is not to be questioned!

mildred

Chris Porter is entertaining.

That Chris Porter is a cheerless …. isn’t he, seems unable to accept any opinion other than his own.

A little interaction I had with him some (many) years ago when the paint/coating on my Fox talas was bubbling & fell off within the space of a week:

CP “people like you always moan about the look of thing and ignore the function” (having never met me or spoken to me before).
    Me “eh? I look after my stuff and ignoring how something functions, the way it looks is important to me”

CP “it doesn’t matter how something looks, it’s the functions that counts”

Me “how can I trust the product if a fundamental part is well below standard? How do I know that it’s been put together right when they can’t even coat the things right?”

CP “people like you always say things like that. Why don’t you just go out and ride the things instead of polishing it?”

Me “you’ve never met me; I’d love to ride my brand new bike but all the paint just fell off the forks, which I don’t think is right, given its a week old”

CP “so, what you going to do, paste this conversation all over the Internet? People like you (again – never met me) shouldn’t have bikes; they’re functional things and it doesn’t matter what they look like.”

Me “just fix the **** forks”

CP “click…..”

The man is a ****.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Seb at Bike Radar had a slighty more scientific look at 27.5+ vs 29ers. It’s an interesting read and I know Seb doesn’t hang about on his bike.

Entertaining video too.

superfli
    Free Member

Good watch that.
    Basically confirms what I’ve always wanted. A short travel (110-120 rear) 29fs would be my perfect race (enduro) bike. Unfortunately I (like most) cannot afford a race bike and so use my all round race bike/trail bike/fun bike for enduro race duties. It’s slower, and I know that, but it’s more fun and versatile (well in a fun kind of way)

And I’m glad that 650+ didn’t do too well. To me, it seems an in between, average, excel at nothing kind of bike. For the man that needs n+1. I’m glad because I don’t want to change 🙂

arogers
    Free Member

Is anyone else desperate to see a big name DH rider aboard a DH bike with 29er wheels? If we seem to be coming to a vague consensus that 29 is probably a bit quicker, then wouldn’t that hold true for DH bikes too? I know Trek have a prototype and can’t help feeling 29 would suit someone Gee’s size…

mattjg
    Free Member

I think the key phrase on the b+ judgement was “not competitive”. Under a world class rider racing for time down a black run, they offered no advantages.

I ran b+ on my 29er HT through the winter, it was a great way to add a little float to a stiff frame, smooths out trailcrap on the climbs and roots on the descents. I think it was faster, but if it wasn’t, it was still “nicer”.

I’ve yet to ride a b+FS so the jury’s out on that one for me.

And one of my mates runs a 29+ Stache, he adores it and is anything but slow.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s not really conclusive enough to form a decent opinion either way between the 2 main wheel sizes, IMO.

That said, I only have a big 160mm bike at the moment so am on the lookout for a short travel 29″ trail bike (Smuggler).

I don’t expect it to be any faster in reality, but I do expect it to me more lively and fun on the local stuff.

I will race it on occasion too, so should be interesting to compare 🙂

The plus bikes seem (and look) utterly pointless to me.

BillOddie

Chris Porter seems to be up for trying new stuff, just look at the Geometron! I just don’t get why he has such a bee in his bonnet about 19mm of extra wheel radius?
    It’s almost like he dismissed them originally (like a lot of us) but can’t bring himself to go back on what he said.

He thinks the wheels are too flexy (he’s right – they are flexier for the same spec and build quality) and that you can’t “pump” them through terrain (he’s right-ish, you can pump them but it requires bigger undulations in the trails).

He also thinks that big wheels make suspension performance worse.
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/bike_news/size-matters-part-3-bicycle-geometry-sucks-324160

thepodge
    Free Member

Chris Porter might be a bit blinkered but he’s got a lot of good ideas in there.

I think what this video also showed is the old men weren’t really interested but the younger generation were doing more runs and tried more stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great video and getting 100+ runs in over that range of riders is a great base.
    Overall T-Mo nails it, pick waht you like and what works for you. Myself I’ve got an XC 29r, trail/Enduro 26 and a DH bike. Next bike to be replaced is the trail/enduro bike – no idea what wheels it will have.

On the + stuff, I think the telling thing is regardless of benefits the rubber isn’t good enough for riding tough trails. To only get 3 completed runs in says a lot and why I’ve got no interest in them at the moment. In terms of grip if I can make my 29×2.2″ Ardent races grip when I need them and my 26×2.4″ Minions grab the trail “extra grip” at the expense of more weight and less resilience seems pointless.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t need to pump 29er wheels ‘cos they carry so much flippin’ speed anyway.

Wish someone had pointed that out to him in that video.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wish someone had pointed that out to him in that video.

They could just have put the straws he was clutching for a bit closer. His world seems very black and white whereas the real world is many shades of grey with there being no absolutely correct answer.

nickc

Isn’t there a 29er Geometron? I like the fact that Chris Porter has a opinion and is prepared to back it up with a bike that’s built to that idea. Given they seem to selling like hot cakes and there seems to be a line of folk willing to part with quite a bit of cash to own one. He might be onto something..?

enjoyed the vid, the thing I took from it is that luckily for us, there’s probably a bike that will suit pretty much any type or style of riding. oh, and +tyres are pretty flimsy! 😆

BruceWee

So the + size tyres needed more reinforcement in the sidewalls but that would result in wheels that would be too heavy. Sounds like you could have many of the benefits of + size tyres with less of a weight penalty if you reduced the diameter of the rim.

If only there was a solution. A smaller diameter rim perhaps.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘29 vs 27.5 vs 27.5+? DH vs Trail? It's all here courtesy of Soho Bikes TV…’ is closed to new replies.