Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • 29 vs 27.5 vs 27.5+? DH vs Trail? It's all here courtesy of Soho Bikes TV…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Yes it’s 22 minutes long, but it’s an enjoyable watch, even if mainly for Rob Warner and Steve Peat constantly bouncing off each other…

[video]https://youtu.be/_ssBGbD1ucU[/video]

Some very interesting results, mostly backing up what I suspected. It was interesting to note that some of the riders who’d not ridden certain wheel sizes before expected to be a lot slower and/or not like them at all, but actually found they were pretty close to (or even beat) their times on their regular bike in some cases.

When the question of “fun” rears its head, Tracey Moseley sums it up perfectly for me. Fun is different things to different people, if you want a flickable bike that pops of every feature you’ll prefer one with smaller wheels, but if fun is going as fast as you can then you’ll prefer 29ers. Though ever grumpy Chris Porter’s face when talking about 29ers is priceless!

Watch… Enjoy… Comment below… 😀

roverpig

Well that was a lot of fun. It suffers from the same problems that all these tests do for me though. First they are not remotely scientific, but more importantly for me, they start with the false premise that all that matters is how fast you get down the hill. Mind you, I think all that proves is that I’m not really a mountain biker.

mboy
    Free Member

I’d say given the nature of the wobbly pink thing at the controls on a bike, it’s very hard to be scientific. For a properly scientific test, you need to remove all the variables except the one you are testing. Unfortunately humans tire, they are inconsistent and make mistakes or just have bad days. I’d say this was as scientific as you’re likely to get, given the likes of Steve Peat, Tracey Moseley et al have made their livings from being as consistent as possible time after time. The telling thing for me here is that Tracey Moseley did 6 full runs, having pedalled back up 4 times, where Chris Porter was destroyed and had been using the uplift each time! And he’s the one that hates 29ers… 😆

Could the test have been improved? Of course it could… You’d take Schurter, Absalon, Richie Rude, Greg Callaghan, Aaron Gwin and Gee Atherton along for a start, and I’d pick a track where the course is a little more varied than 50 shades is too, and have segment split times, to better highlight the differences in the bikes.

I found it interesting though. To see the reactions of some of the guys riding different wheel sizes for the first time, and to see how a grumpy old man who’s set in his ways responds too. Perhaps the biggest shock though was Peaty saying he felt quicker on his trail bike and that his DH bike felt harder work (50 shades if you’ve not ridden it, is rocky but it’s not steep at all) yet the clock showed he was much quicker on his DH bike! Most other riders times were closer between bikes.

mrhoppy

they start with the false premise that all that matters is how fast you get down the hill

Given its a test of enduro bikes it’s not the biggest surprise that’s what they go for.

I quite enjoyed it really. Thought it was a bit of a shame they left the girls quiet apart from Tracey though.

thepodge
    Free Member

I think rider fatigue and getting to know the track made a huge chunk of difference

Northwind

thepodge – Member

I think rider fatigue and getting to know the track made a huge chunk of difference

Yeah, for these tests you need to blank the rider after each run.

thepodge
    Free Member

Easier said than done

NormalMan

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed that.

Never before has ‘ride and decide’ been so fitting for choosing your mtb as now IMHO.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

There were a lot of names riffed off of people who were faster on their 27.5 bikes as well, weren’t there?

4 faster on 27.5 and 5 faster on 29. Not enough to really call it? Is it 😀 Considering all sorts of other factors come into play including fatigue and bike setup.

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah good vid.

Pressures on the b+ seemed high. Necessary for the track perhaps. I run closer to 12-15 in Surrey. We don’t have long rocky black runs though.

Never before has ‘ride and decide’ been so fitting for choosing your mtb as now IMHO.

Mate of mine is looking for a new high end trail bike right now. It’s a bewildering choice.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

TBF, I loved the fact that the B+ bikes were ripped apart in the that video.

The bounceyness, tyre roll and thin sidewalls are all issues that I felt they had.

Glad to see they got the shitting on they deserve by decent riders instead of mincing/ageing/golfing/audi driving bike journos.

sprocker
    Free Member

That Chris Porter is a cheerless …. isn’t he, seems unable to accept any opinion other than his own.

BillOddie

I enjoyed that/found it interesting…

Having spent quite a lot of time of a Krampus I can say that in a rigid format + tyres are ace, but really don’t see the point of them on a full susser.

Even then the amount of tyre roll you get when you push a 29×3 EXO chronicle hard into a corner is alarming.

Moseley is a f***** beast! (I mean that as a compliment!)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I think they also need a mid pack benchmark rider

All those folk are getting the best out of anything and push it to the limits

Would be interesting to see how big an impact technology plays under a flat average mildly unfit rider. Bigger gaps at the technology trumps talent, or smaller as the rider is the limit…

mark88

mincing/ageing/golfing/audi driving bike journos.

Your man from MBUK put in similar times to the EWS boys. Obviously not been spending enough time on the golf course!

Alcopop
    Free Member

Really enjoyed that never been a great fan of Rob Warner but he’s beginning to grow on me but like that facial fuzz of his 🙂 decent real world test ..good work

mboy
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed it really. Thought it was a bit of a shame they left the girls quiet apart from Tracey though.

With Steve Peat and Rob Warner in the room, anyone else had to fight to get heard! 😆 To be fair, Tracy isn’t scared to jump in and have her say, and I think that she’s the one girl that’s universally respected even by the most chauvenistic of male racers.

Moseley is a f***** beast! (I mean that as a compliment!)

She’s as professional an athlete as they come in any sport, she takes having fun very seriously if that makes sense. More than that though, she’s switched disciplines having won pretty much everything going in DH many times over, and totally dominated EWS ever since its inception. She’s 37 now and showing no signs of slowing up either! That said, Peaty ain’t doing bad for an old boy, pretty much the only guy that came anywhere near his times was the one that built the track (Rowan Sorrell)!

That’s why you will never get a true scientific test whilst humans are involved in piloting the bikes. Get enough data points (hundreds, preferably thousands) from the same riders on the same track on the same bikes, and you’ll start to be able to paint a pretty true picture, but it’s never going to be truly scientific.

4 faster on 27.5 and 5 faster on 29. Not enough to really call it? Is it Considering all sorts of other factors come into play including fatigue and bike setup.

Quite… Familiarity is going to have a play in it too. The whole point, reinforced largely by what Tracy said, is that different wheel sizes suit different riders based upon their personal preferences. At 5ft4, most people would say she’s too short to rider a 29er, but clearly she’s capable of riding one at a level far beyond the majority of riders. And then you have Chris Porter who’s over 6ft tall so by rights should be full of the benefits of 29ers, but openly dislikes them!

Mate of mine is looking for a new high end trail bike right now. It’s a bewildering choice.

High end you say? There can only be one… Give him my phone number, we can talk! 😉

TBF, I loved the fact that the B+ bikes were ripped apart in the that video.

The bounceyness, tyre roll and thin sidewalls are all issues that I felt they had.

Glad to see they got the shitting on they deserve by decent riders instead of mincing/ageing/golfing/audi driving bike journos.

I was expecting them to get a lot more of a slating than they did. Clearly, there are some advantages, but there are a lot of downsides too. On rocky or hardpacked terrain, plus tyres will at least grip well, but in the softer more natural trails, they will float over the top right when you need a tyre to dig in. Then there’s the fact that to make a 3″ tyre as sturdy as a decent 2.35″ it’s going to weight a LOT more. Then like they say, there’s the dodgy “rebound” effect. And… And… I can see for slower trail centre riders, newbies and people wanting more confidence on tamer trails, they’ll be superb. For the harder riders, they’re just too fragile and inconsistent to be taken at all seriously. Loved it when they were ripping the proverbial out of Dan Critchlow from Burgtec, I know Dan he’s a top lad, he’s a hard rider too so doesn’t surprise me he killed a tyre on the + bike at all…

That Chris Porter is a cheerless …. isn’t he, seems unable to accept any opinion other than his own.

You think? 😉

I’ve never met him, but I’m told by those who have, that he’s even more miserable and opinionated than he came across in this video! Still… He can afford to be… Good luck to him.

Would be interesting to see how big an impact technology plays under a flat average mildly unfit rider. Bigger gaps at the technology trumps talent, or smaller as the rider is the limit…

Normally, technology and equipment has a bigger effect the more mediocre the rider, so I would expect that us Joe Bloggs types would experience bigger variance in times when riding bikes that we weren’t used to or that weren’t our preference. Which is why I was surprised Steve Peat was so much faster on his DH rig than his trail bike.

ART

Phil has it! *waves* I enjoyed that but couldn’t help thinking if you are aiming this at the ‘average’ bike buying rider then those are the people you want riding & testing. I guess ‘ we the people’ don’t make for such engaging telly 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Pressures on the b+ seemed high. Necessary for the track perhaps. I run closer to 12-15 in Surrey. We don’t have long rocky black runs though.

50 Shades at BPW is a monster though, sharp edged rocks and boulders all over the place. Ran about 35psi rear and 30 front in 2.35″ tyres last time I was there, and still bottomed the tyres out on the rim occasionally. My normal pressures for trail centres would be 26F/32R by contrast.

never been a great fan of Rob Warner

Get out, go, be gone! Warner is a ledge – never quite made it big, but part of MTB history for me -and some of his commentary’s…

russyh
    Free Member

I thought it was a great video. I liked listening to Tracey Moselys explanation of the differences. To be honest by her description an enduro spec 29er would probably suit my riding style. I love my xc 29er….got me thinking and looking at the bloody jeffsy or whatever it’s called now!

charliemort

i thought this confirmed that for most normal do a bit of everything riders, a 29’er is a good choice – if they are competitive on this sort of track, combined with advantages on more pedally stuff / uphill / mud and slop, they make a great all rounder

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks. As an aside its an excellent shop run by good guys who stock Cotic 🙂

colournoise

Cool little video. More entertaining than a bunch of riders having a chat should be. Hardly surprising that the outcome was ‘ride what you find most fun’ though – isn’t that what we all do anyway?

And for me, Chris Porter came across fine. Maybe that makes me a miserable bugger too?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Hi! 🙂

I suspect…

Someone like my Mrs would roll along happily at the same speed on any of the bikes. She stated this, by the way. She’s not into pushing it in any way (although did do 8 runs of Pleney in a day on a hardtail once!) but just enjoys being on a bike

I’m a decent descender (raced DH on the same team as DC for a few years, him Elite, me back in mid pack age group, making up the numbers and doing words/pictures) but lack any real speed or skills. I suspect I’d still brake early, miss lines, bottle jumps and smash into stuff on any bike until I really put the time in to learn it. Might even be initially slower then slowly unlock the potential. A recent shock change then move from 26 to 650b shows this, on Strava anyway.

These guys are pushing the limit and using all the bike, so exploiting all grip available but getting the biggest rewards.

That’s just my theory, would be great to have a clock on a wide range of ability and see if there’s a sweet spot. The ‘industry’ might not like it though 😀

At the end of the day Tracey nails it for me, pure speed is fun but I also like skids and my new bike is loads of fun, my ear to ear grin is the only measure I need even if Strava isn’t telling me it’s faster!

mattjg
    Free Member

i thought this confirmed that for most normal do a bit of everything riders, a 29’er is a good choice

yeah that was my takeaway too, (and augments my confirmation bias). 29er for a trail bike or a proper DH bike for proper DH. in real life most rides are mostly pedally and most of us are not as skilled as that crew. 26.9 seems a bit pointless. that’s probably unfair, lickler wheels mean more travel options without building a monster truck frame.

High end you say? There can only be one… Give him my phone number, we can talk!

he’s been told, I think he wants to find his own long way around back to the right answer I gave him on day 1.

chiefgrooveguru

Very interesting! I’ve always liked Chris Porter’s contentious opinion pieces but he’s didn’t seem too happy when bigger wheels were looking faster. I do wonder though if the bigger wheels’ advantage comes from them not falling into the holes created by smaller wheels, and that if everyone was on bigger wheels that mismatch between trail erosion and tyre would vanish?

I think the biggest deal for any rider is feeling confident on the bike, which I would say comes down to tyres and geometry first (geometry matters more when it’s fast or steep, tyres matter more when it’s slippery) and suspension second. And once that’s sorted you can do tyre diameter optimising…

kimbers

Yeah that was very interesting, as a test obviously lots of variables, major one seems to be that especially with the racers that any runs later in the day will be faster, even with fatigue they will be hitting them better each time.
    I wonder if they could sort the tyre issues out with 650+ that things could be better.
    Glad they choose 50shades as its defo the best trail there but still relatively straight.
    Which feeds on to the 650/29er debate, I read the results the other way, 650b the most fun option for the average trail rider but for out and out racers 29 is best.
    That said I have a 650b Enduro race bike and a 29er trail bike !
    I love both but ultimately the 29er can be a bit boring and the lack of pop and my inability to get it off the ground really robs the fun out of it for me.
    I just wish I could justify a DH bike, they are so worth it for big terrain.
    Also was Peaty subtley slagging off his Bronson at the start ?

mrhoppy

That was my take on it.

tillydog
    Free Member

Original video was good to watch.

I thought that the video below was very good at systematically comparing 27.5+ and 29 (don’t shoot the messenger!)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6TMA2vI8bA[/video]

[edit ^ For a given rider / requirement]

akira

Bit random testing to be conclusive, getting hold of a 29er and 650b enduro, and maybe a stumpy 6fattie to test would have been better. Riding your own bike then riding a 29er for the first time isn’t ideal. Was a decent bit of entertainment but what struck me was how so many riders had formed pretty strong opinions, often without riding different wheel sizes.

scotroutes

what struck me was how so many riders had formed pretty strong opinions, often without riding different wheel sizes.

Not been around here much then?

akira

Well on here I expect it, thought proper riders might be more open minded though. 😆

roverpig

Downhill mountain biking (and presumably Enduro as well) looks, on the face of it, to be a pure sport and all about who is the fastest to the bottom. In fact, image is every bit as important as time (see, for example, the ban on skinsuits). If 29ers or plus-size bikes aren’t seen by the opinion formers of the sport to be acceptable then it doesn’t really matter if they are faster and anyway, there is a huge amount of confirmation bias with these “tests” i.e. if you don’t want to like a 29er you’ll probably be slower on it. Which just perpetuates the myths. It’s all just a bit of fun though.

jabbi
    Free Member

Chris Porter seems to be up for trying new stuff, just look at the Geometron! I just don’t get why he has such a bee in his bonnet about 19mm of extra wheel radius?
    It’s almost like he dismissed them originally (like a lot of us) but can’t bring himself to go back on what he said.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought he’d just had an unfortunate choice of words that could have been construed that way, which Warner kind of picked up on and gave him a mischievous look and then they were both trying not to laugh.

I was under the impression he normally rode a 29er trail bike BTW

thepodge
    Free Member

i.e. if you don’t want to like a 29er you’ll probably be slower on it.

There were at least two riders who had never ridden 29ers but were quicker on them

I’m fairly sure Warner has an Anthem as his normal trail bike.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Get out, go, be gone! Warner is a ledge – never quite made it big, but part of MTB history for me -and some of his commentary’s…

Warner is a top bloke who had no end of time/patience giving my brother and me useful tips when we were younger.

He did use to like waking everyone up on the race campsites by razing his moto around though. 😀

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Downhill mountain biking (and presumably Enduro as well) looks, on the face of it, to be a pure sport and all about who is the fastest to the bottom. In fact, image is every bit as important as time (see, for example, the ban on skinsuits). If 29ers or plus-size bikes aren’t seen by the opinion formers of the sport to be acceptable then it doesn’t really matter if they are faster and anyway, there is a huge amount of confirmation bias with these “tests” i.e. if you don’t want to like a 29er you’ll probably be slower on it. Which just perpetuates the myths. It’s all just a bit of fun though.

Opinion formers? Most of the people who push new shit down our throats are journos!

These are racers, and there was jack shit to differentiate the 29ers and 27.5 bikes….but like everyone guessed….the plus bikes are clearly not suited to racing/hard riding.

Northwind

jabbi – Member

It’s almost like he dismissed them originally (like a lot of us) but can’t bring himself to go back on what he said.

It’s exactly that tbh. He keeps coming out with pseudoscience nonsense to justify it, like, apparently more BB drop is great on a 26er or 650b but on a 29er it makes the brakes stop working. TBH his opinions are always worth listening to but he seems to be one of those people that isn’t happy just having opinions, he wants them to be Facts. And he ends up undermining himself in the process. See: clutch mechs/chainless, as your perfect example.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘29 vs 27.5 vs 27.5+? DH vs Trail? It's all here courtesy of Soho Bikes TV…’ is closed to new replies.