Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29 plus (ish) on a Fat Bike
  • oysterkite
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of long distance events this year and am planning to use my rigid fat bike . It’s pretty good on most trails with 4″ tyre son DT Swiss rims but I’m tempted by the idea of building up some wide 29er wheels (prob 40mm) rims and 2.7 types in the hope of bumping up average speed .Anyone got any experience of running 29 (plus ?) vs fat bike 26ers over distance? Any thoughts welcome

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I haven’t myself, but if it’s any help when I was riding the Tour Divide last year I saw three people on fat bikes that had done just that, so it obviously helps in some way.

I thought you could see the bikes in this picture, but unfortunately you can’t, anyway, these two guys had done it:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QUvogv]Fellow divide riders, Brad Annis and Ronan MacCon[/url] by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

oysterkite
    Free Member

That’s good to know, do you recall if they were riding rigid forks ?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Yeah they both were, a can’t remember whether the other guy we saw was, actually thinking about it he must have been, didn’t see anyone using blutos

Andy

Works really well for me on 3″ tyres on 40mm rims. Need a frame with the clearance for bigger tyres. Normal 29er 2″ tyres fit fione on all fatbike frames.

This is on a Mukluk with the rear drop outs swung back a bit

Andy
    oysterkite
    Free Member

Well spotted ….( still need to convince myself before pulling the trigger)

Andy

Mods we seem to have two of these threads by the same op. maybe close one?

letmetalktomark

A Knard on a Dually will just about fit in the back of my Puffin (MK1) but only just clears the chain stay brace by a few MM.

With a smaller plus tyre it would be fine I imagine but where is the fun in that?

cartwheels

I’m interested in this also.
    Hope now one minds me posting this here as
    It’s close to topic , I didn’t want to start another thread.
    I also have a puffin mk1 and love it for most of my riding,
    Though I’m pondering a second set of wheels,
    Either 29″ with dirt wizards ,2.5 minions
    Or 2.4 Goma tnts on 30-35id rims
    Or go down the 27.5 plus route
    With something like 3″ tire on 40id rims
    Quite a few options out there now,but a stumbling block for me is the excessive prices
    of some of the plus tires, I’m looking at you Maxxis!
    Just wondered if anyone had any experience of doing a similar thing and how it turned out?

roverpig

On a similar topic, can anybody who has ridden 27.5+ and 29+ comment on the differences. I tried 27.5+ for six months and it wasn’t for me. On the other hand I love my 5″ fatbike. I still occasionally toy with the the idea of a 29+ wheelset for the fstbike, but if it’s just like 27.5+ I wont bother.

oysterkite
    Free Member

Interesting to see a couple of Tour Divide riders opting for 29er wheels in fat bike frames, seems to be pretty popular across the pond . I’m hoping for an extra mph or two average speed without too much loss of comfort on a rigid frame .

trout
    Free Member

@ cartwheels
    I dont think 29+ will fit in a mk1 Puffin ( i could be wrong here )
    but I have just gone down the 27.5+ for my mk1 Puffin and it rides great
    and just received from CRC a pair of WTB Bridger 3.00 tyres @ £34 each
    cant say what they ride like as not yet fitted em
    I have a pair of Bontrager chupacabra 2.8 on at the moment great on the road but not on the mud or wet limestone

cartwheels

Hi Trout
    I’m aware the Puffin is not really 29+ compatible .
    I tried a Dirt wizard in there and its tight at the chainstay brace 4mm at closest.
    I have a pair of used Dw’s I picked up, the plan was to try them out in there, if I liked the Dw in the rear (ooh er!) I’d consider grinding the mid section of the brace to allow more clearance.
    I believe the Dw is on the smaller side of plus, so wouldn’t expect to get a chronicle in there.
    I should really have a go on some 27.5+ and 29+ bikes to give me a feel for it.

letmetalktomark

My MK1 Puffin swallows my 3″ NNs on Hugo rims in 27.5″ Plus guise with ease.

I’d also considered grinding back the CS brace – I asked on here a while back – but think you’d need to take a fair bit off to make it worthwhile 🙁

takisawa2

I have a Mk2 Puffin, running 4″ rubber.
    Also have a steel Niner, running 29+ / b+., both singlespeed.
    Tbh, they are like chalk & cheese.
    The Puffin ploughs through everything, like a runaway jcb, its bloody hard work though. The Niner flies along, but it is 5lb lighter. Be interested to try the Puffin running 29+. For 90% of time the plus has the edge.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29 plus (ish) on a Fat Bike’ is closed to new replies.