Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 27.5 or 29?
  • SaxonRider

All things being equal, if a particular bike model you liked was available in both sizes, which one would you pick?

I am asking because I have to make a choice as part of an insurance claim, and I have only ever ridden 26″ (other than a ‘go’ on molgrips’ 29er).

P.S. I know it’s subjective. I just want to hear what you like and why, really. And by all means, recommend what you, yourself, have!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s only one small factor of many, It wouldn’t be my main driver.

If, however, all things are absolutely equal, I’d choose 650B. They are lighter, stiffer and a better choice of tyres.

siwhite
    Free Member

29″ frame, as it gives you the option of running 650b+ tyres. As far as I am concerned, b+ tyres are the best thing since sliced bread. Others will likely disagree, but you did ask for opinions….!

Rubber_Buccaneer

So far I prefer 27.5 as the 29s I’ve tried felt a little ponderous to me. I’d be test riding to decide if at all possible though

Tracey

Would depend on which bike. Had a like for like replacement in the summer on 26″. In the end with a bit of juggling between us went for a 650b and a 29er

scotroutes

Depends what you want the bike for and also how tall you are. Short folk on long travel 29ers is an obvious conflict.

NormalMan

It’s such a personal preference thing but for me, 29er.

jimdubleyou

Having never owner a 27.5er, I’m going to say 29er all the way.

ratherbeintobago

I’m 174cm and have a 29er. Not sure I’d want one if I was much shorter.

joebristol

Tried both and went for 650b. The 2 x 29ers I tried felt a bit more dead than the 650b. Mind you – the comparison was on fairly cheap (maybe £500) Scott hardtails I think.it was at a sporting event.

I still think my current 650b steers slower than my previous 26er. Although I suspect that’s more down to geometry than wheel size.

Garry_Lager

29er if it’s going to be seeing some miles.
    Needs a decent wheelset, though. I can put up with OKish wheels on a 26 or 27.5 but a flexy or heavy set on the 29er spoils the ride.

The boost standard is meant to help a bit here AFAIK.

pjm7
    Free Member

As already mentioned, depends on where you’re likely to ride and how tall you are. I’m 5’8″ and had a Scott Spark 29er and have changed to a Whyte T130 (27.5) the Whyte seems so much more fun to ride/chuck about and changes direction so much easier than the Scott did. They are different bikes though so it could well be the different geometry as much as the wheel size that made the difference for me. On place the Scott did have the advantage was on straight but rocky decsents (peak district), the large wheels just seemed to roll over everything really well.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Just get one of each.

However if you’re poor, then flip a coin. No different doing that than it is asking for opinions on here, people will just say what they have.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Test rides are the way forwards, I’ve a 27.5 and a 29er, the latter (Stumpy 29er Evo) is an amazing bike mainly because it fits me perfectly and the balance is absolutely spot on. There are occasions during the driest of summer days when it feels slightly less rapid than my other bike (Norco Sight Carbon), but I never really notice the wheel thing otherwise.

I’ve timed my local loop on both bikes, the Stumpy is a whisker faster (even when it feels slower), the Norco is slightly more involving, but I don’t know whether that’s partly due to the suspension with its noticeable ramp-up. The Norco is easier to get off the ground, though, but that’s not really my style.

vincienup
    Free Member

Slightly flip answer from Larry above, but it’s about on the money.

Where you will ride and how you want to ride it have a huge impact on this decision with a big potential modifier from amount of available spend.

As a general rule, 650b’s are likely to suit tighter conditions and highly technical riding better than 29ers and 29ers will eat distances at speed better but the more you spend the quicker this distinction is being blurred. It’s very worth noting that DH are starting to take 29ers seriously so the old tropes are well and truly on the move – a lot of conventional wisdom on this sort of thing is based on earlier 29er frames and there’s been a lot of development done.

If I needed to make an unridden choice, I think 650b is probably the safer bet – but I imagine if you ran a reader poll and stripped out everyone suggesting 26, fat, plus, BMX etc you’d find it pretty nearly 50/50 right now even if you tried to adjust for location. It’s genuinely a personal choice.

schmiken

Tried both a Spark in 29 and 27.5. Bought the 27.5.

Disclaimer – I’m 5’10 and I did have a lot of nice wheels already in the garage.

chakaping
    Free Member

Depends how compromised the geometry on the 29er is – to fit the bigger wheels in, I mean.

If the chainstays are an acceptable length, I’d go for that myself.

zinaru
    Free Member

like many have stated, its different for everyone / height / type of riding but for me 29″ wheels are probably the single biggest difference to biking for me in the last 6 years. munched the miles, extended the time im out, generally feels ‘better’, more stable, smoother, faster.

totally not scientific but i still love the difference the big wheels have made after 20+ years previously on 26″.

metalheart
    Free Member

Limited experience on 27.5″ (didn’t feel appreciably different from 26″) but I’d go 29er (that is 650B+ compatible).

Err, just like what I did…. 😳

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

29er for me, absolutely everytime… almost.

I made the switch from 26 on a whim, and loved the way the bigger wheels rolled – and the speed I was picking up added to the grins. That was on a Whyte T129, which for other reasons I fell out with. I decided it was time to trade up for something new just a few weeks ago and the Fuel EX just fitted the bill, although I went b+ on that one, then stuck some 29er wheels in anyway 😉

Everyone is different though – perhaps my choice would have been different if I lived somewhere else?

z1ppy

29er would be my first choice but it depends on the bikes geometry, I like the modem slack/long setup. Wouldn’t be in such a rush for a more conservative setup & it might be enough for me to go 650b

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the solution is, of course, a 27.5 rear and a 29 front.

But that’s not going to happen soon…

2 years ago I went 27.5 but if I was buying again it’d be a closer fight.

jabbi
    Free Member

For me, at 168cm (5’6″)short, I prefer a 29er, yeah, it takes a bit of manhandling round corners. The roll over ability, coupled with the out and out speed, outweighs it for me.

Northwind

I had that decision and went 29er, partly for cantankerous reasons, partly for good ones

Good reasons- the 29er Remedy knocked me out and the 650b left me pretty cold- it was slow and unimpressive frankly, good fun but not actually that good at the job. But that’s not a wheelsize thing, it’s just that the 29er Remedy is bloody awesome- the trailbike that accidentally became the most succesful enduro race bike ever made, and now has spawned the awesome looking fuel ex and slash. It suits me so well.

Performance? Well, the best trailbikes I’ve ever ridden are all modern 29ers. It’s taken a long time for 29ers to overcome conservatism, in fact lots of manufacturers still haven’t, for so long people seemed scared of the difference so we had all this ridiculous “2 degrees steeper so it feels more like a 26er” “Less travel to do the same job” thing- only a few have really embraced the whole “big mad bike with big mad wheels and lots of travel and wheelbase and slackiosity” which is where they naturally shine. Why go 29er and not embrace it?

The B+ thing leaves me cold but it’s another advantage, the ability to stick 3 inch tyres in my bike was pretty interesting, even if I did find it pointless and inferior in the end choice is good.

Lastly… My 26er was old and tired and I wanted a new bike. And I thought, if I need to replace my beloved Lyriks, and my carbon wheels, because of all this new wheelsize bobbins, I want it to be a difference I can actually see 😆 The sizes of the logos on all the first crop of 650b stuff said it all, tyres marginally bigger, logos massively bigger, they had to spend so much time telling you to be interested. Why spend the same amount of money for about 1/3d of the change, I figured.

Now, I’d buy a 29er again, just because I have the infrastructure- wheels, tyres, etc. (Boost can **** off) I do prefer it but even if I was agnostic about it, that’d still put me off switching to another size.

welshfarmer

Except for the fact that Liteville have been selling them like this for years

http://www.liteville.com/en/68/bikes/301-mk12/all-mountain-factory-machine/

ehrob

Just gone to a 650b after 18 months on a 29er.

Main reason for me was that the 29er was a bit of a monster truck. It was fast, especially in a straight line. But I don’t race a lot, am not that fast, and prefer to spend riding time having fun with trail features. The new bike is much more playful, with an emphasis on going over things rather than through them.

My new bike is better for me with the smaller wheel size, but there’s a lot more than the wheel size that makes it that way. Many reviews seem to suggest the right 29er can also be playful, but I fancied a change.

Perhaps think of how you want your riding to progress and the direction you want to take it in during your ownership of the bike, and feed that into your choice. There’s no wrong one really – I still had a blast on my 29er.

jabbi
    Free Member

Northwind put it better, but yeah, that’s it for me too (though I have no hatred for boost, it’s just a new hub, not the end of the world!).

crashrash

Fully 29 convert – I find them awesome and easy though I am 6’2″ and 90kgs! The idea they are not playful is personal. And I reckon you can have fun on both. For a hardtail though I reckon 29 wins out. I have a Solaris2 and that is quick and fun!

chakaping
    Free Member

Many reviews seem to suggest the right 29er can also be playful,

Yeah, hence my comment above about chainstays.

I’ve noticed a few brands make 650b bikes with 430-435mm stays, while their 29ers have the same length front end but 10-15mm extra on the rear.

Obviously this is to accommodate the bigger wheel, but it’s a compromise I’m not happy to make.

funkmasterp

For hardtail I definitely prefer 29, but I couldn’t tell you why though. Only really ridden hardtails (all 3 wheel sizes) and the Trans AM 29 I’ve got at the moment is just great at a multitude of different things. I’ve never felt under or over biked and despite weighing more than a small planet it doesn’t half shift and I’ve ridden long distances with no ill effects. Kinda reminds me of the Bfe I used to have.

Hardtails just seem to benefit from the larger wheel in my opinion. I had a 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 29, but got rid as it was boring as all hell to ride. Just lifeless and mundane. That was my only foray in to full suss though. Need to try again at some point.

I’m 5ft 8″ and built like a racing snake, ride a medium with a 50mm stem and it fits great. All personal choice though. Can you test ride a few in different wheel sizes and see what floats your boat?

chakaping
    Free Member

» the solution is, of course, a 27.5 rear and a 29 front.
    But that’s not going to happen soon…

Except for the fact that Liteville have been selling them like this for years

http://www.liteville.com/en/68/bikes/301-mk12/all-mountain-factory-machine/

I’m not gonna post the link to my blog about my homegrown version of this again, but I do think it might catch on as a bit of a niche.

I’d like to try a large Enduro 29er with 650b rear to lower the seat tube and an offset bushing to slack it out a bit more.

Going a bit off-topic now though.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which ever rode better for me, wheel size is near the end of the factors that bother me these days. Even bikes where they have 650/29 variants are not the same bike.

SaxonRider

mikewsmith – Member 
    Which ever rode better for me, wheel size is near the end of the factors that bother me these days. Even bikes where they have 650/29 variants are not the same bike.

I totally understand this, but test riding the bikes is not really an option, as this is an insurance claim from Wheelies.

To be honest, I am the type of person who, pretty much no matter what I end up with, will make myself happy; but I want to read (as people have kindly obliged me with, above) people’s stories and experiences and opinions. That way, if I am in any way unhappy, I can ultimately blame you lot.

CheesybeanZ

I’ll happily take the blame if you go 29er – 650b your on your own 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

For you, 29 for sure.

You aren’t going to be doing anything rad, let’s face it. Your idea of a good ride is covering lots of ground in an adventure sort of way, isn’t it? So 29, for sure. The difference on those rocky valleys climbs is quite something.

29 plus capable frame might be interesting though.

If I had to buy a bike from a catalogue in your position given your riding, I’d get a rigid Stache 29+..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To be honest, I am the type of person who, pretty much no matter what I end up with, will make myself happy; but I want to read (as people have kindly obliged me with, above) people’s stories and experiences and opinions.

Which is all fine but iun reality reading some of the stuff above doesn’t really give me much of a clue, we don’t even have an idea of what sort of bike your looking at. My personal opinion still is the wheel size is lower down the list than a lot of other factors. Whats on your short list?

afanmark
    Free Member

I recently went from a 29er to 650b. All I had ever ridden up to that point was 29ers. I prefer 650b, its more nimble, easier to throw around corners and nicer to jump. I found my 29er big to move around. I have moved down a frame size though which i’m sure also makes a difference.

The only negative I have found is that it is slower over straight, rough sections where there is a bit of a slope. Its only now I realise how much momentum a 29er carries over rough terrain. I used to be able to ride some sections at Afan where I barely pedaled and could carry a lot of speed, now I find my self having to fit some pedal strokes in to keep my momentum up. This can be tricky on narrow, rough sections but I guess I will get the hang of it.

The difference in momentum though is only really obvious where there is only a little bit of gradient, on steeper sections it isnt an issue. I can def see why 29ers are a popular choice for xc riding. I did have a lot of fun on my 29er and would def recommend giving it a go if you get a chance but I prefer my 650b.

Northwind

Every time someone says 29ers are harder to throw round corners, I think of this:

29ers can’t do corners

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and this one 😉 Riders have limits
    [video]http://vimeo.com/40560345[/video]
    On cornering I was told heaps that you had to throw them harder into corners, my conclusion was that applies if you weren’t throwing your older bike into corners.

afanmark
    Free Member

I take your point, I meant more like switch backs, I find them easier on my 650b. Not that the guy in the video would have much prob doing it.

To be fair my 29er was really good cornering generally.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘27.5 or 29?’ is closed to new replies.