Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • 27.5 or 29?
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

I had a Cotic Solaris for a couple of years (29er), then went to a Chromag Samurai65 for a couple of years (27.5) and I’m now back on a Chromag Surface (29er).

For me (average height, don’t weigh much), doing the sort of riding I do (general up and down trail riding with some uplifts thrown in, not a lot of jumping or similar excitement) then for that sort of bike (mid-travel, robust trail hardtail) the 29″ wheels feel noticeably swifter, the roll-over effect is fairly noticeable but any additional wheel weight or flex is not.

🙂

chestrockwell

I went from. 26″ Orange 5 to the 29″ version and loved it. I reckoned it was the better bike (for my needs) 90% of the time. As others have said, the 29″ makes covering ground much smoother and you don’t get bogged down anywhere near as much.

Not long after I switched I tested the 650b 5. Thought it was good but it felt like half a 29er if that makes sense. The benefits over 26″ just with the edges smoothed off. 29er lite, and that was not what I wanted.

scotroutes

Which is all fine but iun reality reading some of the stuff above doesn’t really give me much of a clue, we don’t even have an idea of what sort of bike your looking at. My personal opinion still is the wheel size is lower down the list than a lot of other factors. Whats on your short list?

Yep, what are planning to do with the bike? For long distance bikepacking I’d always go for a 29er hardtail (with B+ compatibility). Hooning down trailcentres I’d choose a 27.5 FS.

taxi25
    Free Member

For you, 29 for sure.

You aren’t going to be doing anything rad, let’s face it. Your idea of a good ride is covering lots of ground in an adventure sort of way, isn’t it? So 29, for sure. The difference on those rocky valleys climbs is quite something.

Mg has it James. I’ve got a couple of very different 29ers your welcome to take out for a ride. They’ll be a bit big but not so much you wouldn’t be able to ride them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hooning down trailcentres I’d choose a 27.5 FS.

At the moment part of me fancies a 29r Hightower for hooning around trail centres, mate had a rocky instinct that was a riot through stuff like that.

chestrockwell

My Segment is ace at hooning round trail centres!

scotroutes

TBF, I was meaning that for me, a 29 FS would be too tall, not that it’s a format that wouldn’t work for some.

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s shopping on Wheelies. I reckon the Longitude is the best bike on there for the OP’s uses. Comes with B+ tyres and wheels. Everything else on there seems pretty XC orientated, probably the Orange Clockwork is the next best bet if the Genesis is unavailable…

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘27.5 or 29?’ is closed to new replies.