Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 27.5+ advice
  • karnali
    Free Member

Hoping to get a kinesis ff29 frame and Suspension fork. Will use the wheels off my cx bike for fast mixed riding but a bit of internet searching seems to say it will take 27.5+ as well. Looking for recommendations on cheapish 650 wheels that will take a good sized tyre and advice on tyres, at present I’ve only looked at 2.4 chunky monkeys but assume I can go bigger. What’s a decent tyre and width to fit on wheels that will be for standard hubs. And what’s a decent value wheels set or even internal rim width needed for 2.4+ tyres.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Alpkit Rumpus which at £199 for the set is a steal. They are obviously made to a price but they run OK (nothing really to compare them with though) 45mm internal rim width. Bridger 3.0″ on the front, Trailblazer 2.8″ on the back. The set I have is standard (whatever that means these days) 100mm front, 135mm rear. They come with axle converters for both 15mm and QR.

I’ve no idea of how long the bearings in the Alpkit hubs will last, I’ve only done around 400Km on them so far so it’s early days.

I reckon wheels, tyres, and all the bits cost about £340 all in.

jam-bo

I’m waiting for a set of alpkit rumpus wheels to be delivered and set of 2.8 nobby nics from charliethebikemonger

scotroutes

If you can only fit in a “small” B+ tyre then be prepared for a drop in BB height. Of course, this might not bother you.

Check for tyre clearance in your forks too. Some models narrow exactly where you don’t want them to.

Rear tyre width will also be limited by your chainset.

Del

Think the ff29 is limited to 2.8 at the rear fwiw.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The nobby nics on my Scott have underwhelmed me. I don’t see the advantage when fitted to a full suss and both have punctured badly with tread blocks almost pulling out of the carcass

karnali
    Free Member

del- good to know 2.8 will be more than enough i think for my experimnet, i may just go with the 2.4 chunky monkeys yet.

thanks for the heads up onthe alpkit wheels.

jam-bo

is this on your really heavy, modified e-bike?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ advice’ is closed to new replies.