Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Know any saddles with a smooth low friction finish, eg brooks but cheaper?
  • captaindanger

For commuting to reduce wear on jeans. I like brooks but too expensive and impractical when it rains. Any other models have a low friction top? Only thing I can think of is a plastic 90s BMX saddle, or those painful looking carbon jobs…

amedias
    Free Member

Spa Cycles do a range of Brooksalike leather saddles but cheaper, have a good reputation, might be worth a look?

rain issue is easily solved with a shower cap or plastic bag

captaindanger

Thanks, good find! Will get myself an aire. Do you have one? They look slightly more matt than the brooks?

colournoise

Fabric Scoop is pretty slippy with no seams. Dead comfy too.

nedrapier

my Spesh toupe expert is very slippy. Toupe comp is very grippy.

nstpaul

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SASMPNZARW/san-marco-ponza-arrowhead-saddle

Tried one on CX to see if central channel made any difference to comfort as cheap, felt disturbingly slippery each time I got on it compared to saddles on my other bikes

captaindanger

Hmmm… like the look of the fabric one, will try to find a local shop with them too…

superstu
    Free Member

Fabric, I Demo’d a bike with one, dead comfy but took some getting used to due to lack of friction

nstpaul

I have a Charge Scoop on MTB and a Fabric Line now on the CX (same cover material) and they feel a lot less slippery than the San Marco I linked to above just as a comparison for you

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I have a Spa on my Brompton, bought for the same reason as you after the original saddle ruined several pairs of trousers in quick succession. It’s pretty stiff, not much sign of breaking in despair over a year of use, although admittedly it only sees about 5-10 miles a day. Haven’t worn out any trousers since I’ve had it, compared to a pair every 3 or 4 months with my old saddle.

mattyfez

My maddison flux I recently bought (about £20) fits the bill.

lunge

Old Flite’s are very slippy, mine is polished to a shine and would fit what you want.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Know any saddles with a smooth low friction finish, eg brooks but cheaper?’ is closed to new replies.