Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 207 total)
  • £27 to fit a childs rear brake cable Rip Off Mugdock Country Cycles Glasgow
  • tjagain

Yep – all comes out nicely in the end. Nice apologies from both sides.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

£17 is a bit of a bargain.

Pointing out the OP is actually a massive sweary asshat is priceless.

Two thumbs up.

Funny how that small nuance was missing from the initial onslaught.

jonnyboi

ahh, truth will out. Respected shop owner sticks it to rude customer, plus gets final win and STW kudos online.

kerley
    Free Member

Could do with changing the title now maybe?

Something along the lines of “losing it and swearing for minor issues is not the best approach”

ransos
    Free Member

ahh, truth will out. Respected shop owner sticks it to rude customer, plus gets final win and STW kudos online.

There was fault on both sides, but I’m glad they’ve resolved it.

zerolight
    Free Member

I’ve found Keith who owns and runs Mugdock cycles to be super helpful and friendly. I’ve had him replace my chain for price of parts plus a coffee and a chat. He also stripped the seatpost on on my then new road bike (not bought from him) and carbon pasted the bizarre infinite angle adjust mechanism so it wouldn’t drift every time I hit a bump, at no charge. Never had issues with them, and they always have a massive queue of bikes waiting for a service, so I can’t see them being too in-competitive. When I frayed the gear cable on my roadbike a few months back, he gave me a couple of new cables for free.

As to the trails, I love Mugdock. It’s my regular haunt, granted I’m no jump/drop hunter. The best trail, as far as I’m concerned, starts just outside Mugdock in Milngavie, runs past the Kyber Pass and along the West Highland Way out to Dumgoyne and the distillery, along some lovely single track, then up behind the distillery, through the forrest to Strathblane, and then a short road trip into Blainfield, from there up into Mugdock via the stables, then to the visitor centre for coffee before heading down Rosie’s Road via Mugdock and back along the WHW to Milngavie. It’s a great loop – known as the Dumgoyne Loop. Worth a look if you ever visit Mugdock for a cycle.

taxi25
    Free Member

Just because he was over-charged, doesn’t mean the price charged wasn’t unreasonable

IMHO I reckon it is unreasonable. I also reckon kicking of and swearing is unreasonable as well.
    No real winners here 🙁

atlaz
    Free Member

All the best, Richard Turpin.

27 quid for a brake cable? Highway robbery

(IGMC)

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Brilliant, all the stories above recounting the free work received from Keith, then he overcharges the OP’s 9 year old niece when he does decide to present a bill!
    Mmm makes you wonder.

matt_outandabout

This thread always had potential. Today, that potential was met.

pinetree
    Free Member

Just a thought, for posterity’s sake. How sure are we that Mcc01 is actually Keith @ Mugdock?

If I were a more cynical man I might suggest someone has registered an account and offered a reply designed to entice the customer back in to Mugdock Country Cycles, expecting a partial refund that will never happen, just for giggles.

I really hope I’m wrong and that MCC01 is genuinely the business owner, but this is the internet after all…

weeksy

pinetree – Member

Just a thought, for posterity’s sake. How sure are we that Mcc01 is actually Keith @ Mugdock?

If I were a more cynical man I might suggest someone has registered an account and offered a reply designed to entice the customer back in to Mugdock Country Cycles, expecting a partial refund that will never happen, just for giggles.

I really hope I’m wrong and that MCC01 is genuinely the business owner, but this is the internet after all…

You for or against Man Walking on the Moon in the 60s ?

munrobiker
    Free Member

How else would they know that the OP was effing and jeffing at them?

pinetree
    Free Member

How else would they know that the OP was effing and jeffing at them?

Given the OP immediately jumped on a forum and started flaming away, it’s not a great stretch to imagine he’s a somewhat unreasonable and perhaps aggressive fellow.

As I say, I hope (and I’m sure i am) wrong. It was just a thought…

You for or against Man Walking on the Moon in the 60s?

For, but even if I wasn’t, I certainly wouldn’t be the most paranoid person on this thread.

I have checked with a number of cycle shops who ALL agree it is grossly over priced

I suspect that a number of the posts have came from friends of the owner

eshershore
    Free Member

“engineer”…LOL

I have managed stupidly busy workshops for Evans and Cycle Surgery stores in London, a Specialized Concept store and a Giant brand store, and have never had any “engineers” work me in those workshops?

we don’t employ engineers in bike shop workshops, we could not afford them, and well, they wouldn’t be actually much use for bicycle repair 😉

13thfloormonk

I’m an engineer, and work in an office full of other engineers.

All the other engineers in the office know I used to be a bike mechanic (of sorts) and bring their bikes to me if they need fixed, because they can’t fix them themselves.

Despite being an engineer *and* an ex- bike mechanic, I usually end up making a mess of it anyway 8)

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Please do change the thread title Mods, I wouldn’t want this thread to tarnish the Shop’s name on a google search.

docgeoffyjones

we don’t employ engineers in bike shop workshops, we could not afford them, and well, they wouldn’t be actually much use for bicycle repair

Don’t see many bike shop assistants in an engineering office. the ‘Gods gift attitude’ makes them too hard to work with. 😀 😀

avdave2

The bike shop has apologised and the op has apologised and both appear sincere. I think it’s best left there if they are both happy.If we just carry on berating either side we just make it less and less likely that anyone will ever feel there is a point in apologising.

docgeoffyjones

The bike shop has apologised and the op has apologised and both appear sincere. I think it’s best left there if they are both happy.If we just carry on berating either side we just make it less and less likely that anyone will ever feel there is a point in apologising.

I got biscuits in specially

matt_outandabout

If we just carry on berating either side we just make it less and less likely that anyone will ever feel there is a point in apologising.

Yes, but we are having fun, aren’t we?

convert

Well that was a most excellent twist to end the thread. No winners here – OP feels silly for being a gobshit and the shop gets to feel silly for overcharging.

Best of all the posters defending the price get to look like mugs and those saying he should have grown a pair and said something in the shop instead of bitching on a forum get to learn it’s possible to do both (and then some by the sounds of it).

Nice work all around!

docgeoffyjones

Well that was a most excellent twist to end the thread. No winners here – OP feels silly for being a gobshit and the shop gets to feel silly for overcharging.

Best of all the posters defending the price get to look like mugs and those saying he should have grown a pair and said something in the shop instead of bitching on a forum get to learn it’s possible to do both (and then some by the sounds of it).

Nice work all around!

and there was some engineer bashing and I work in a bike shop posts…

perfect thread

richmtb

we don’t employ engineers in bike shop workshops, we could not afford them, and well, they wouldn’t be actually much use for bicycle repair

One of my mates is a proper PhD’ed civil engineer, earns a lot more than me helping to design bridges.

I wouldn’t trust him to put up a shelf never mind fix my bike

docgeoffyjones

One of my mates is a proper PhD’ed civil engineer, earns a lot more than me helping to design bridges.

I wouldn’t trust him to put up a shelf never mind fix my bike

someone is not good at doing some things that have no relation to their job……..Shocker

eshershore
    Free Member

good mate of mine has a Masters degree in engineering and works for a living designing suspension kinematics and physical packaging for a bike “brand”, his bikes are well regarded.

very smart guy, but would not trust him to put a boxed bike together…and he is the first to admit that.

bike mechanics have been told since time began that a customer who is a “an engineer” knows better

docgeoffyjones

A lot of my friends have Master degrees in engineering and can all fix there own bikes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m an engineer, and I pay £160 a year for some more letters after my name to prove it.

I can also hang wallpaper, put shelves up level, work on my car and fix a bike. None of which are in any way engineering, those job titles would be ‘painter and decorator’, ‘handyman’, ‘mechanic’ or possibly ‘technician’.

Still unemployable though 😥

Waderider
    Free Member

I’ve just decided that the internet has been deteriorating since it went mainstream and is now dominated by ****.

As evidenced by this thread and by D. Trumps Tw*tter account.

Hence I must remove myself from the internet…….

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    I’m an engineer, and I pay £160 a year for some more letters after my name to prove it.

I can also hang wallpaper, put shelves up level, work on my car and fix a bike. None of which are in any way engineering, those job titles would be ‘painter and decorator’, ‘handyman’, ‘mechanic’ or possibly ‘technician’.

Still unemployable though

Too good an opportunity too miss posting this video .

poltheball
    Free Member

Haud the bus, it’s been eight hours and a page-and-a-half, and only one person has picked up on the R.Turpin banter?

Poor form STW, poor form indeed..

Poopscoop

Glad there was some sort of resolution to this.

Time to let the thread go nu-nights I think.

I’m off to read about bike stuff instead.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

picked up on the R.Turpin banter

I picked up on it, a weak attempt at irony.
    I think he knew he’d overcharged them and because the OP was gobbing off in the shop he thought he’d keep the tenner and kick them out.
    AND
    He would of got away with it if it wasn’t for you pesky kids! 😆

vincienup
    Free Member

Haud the bus, it’s been eight hours and a page-and-a-half, and only one person has picked up on the R.Turpin banter?

Poor form STW, poor form indeed..

Nope, STW has been busy willy waving and engaging in “I am considerably more” … “than you” , as is usual as soon as it gets away from actual questions about bikes and gets dangerously close to ‘is it time for tea, yet?’ and ‘what’s for pudding?’

angeldust
    Free Member

Everyone picked it up. No one felt the need to share.

matt_outandabout

I just felt that the R.Turpin gag would hold up the thread humour.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Thread of the year (so far) nomination 😆

sprocker
    Free Member

Kids only need one brake anyway

stumpy01

Sorry for veering off topic, but…..

thisisnotaspoon – Member

That’s cheap good value! Who’s that with? And what letters do you get?

I pay around £230 to the IMechE – for that, as far as I can tell I get a very boring magazine once a month & if I decide to go chartered everyone tells me my salary will leap up, but no one can tell me by how much or whether it actually will. But, I then have to pay >£400 a year for the privilege…..thinking of sacking them off & trying the IET….

buckster
    Free Member

Nice work all around!

Exceptional summary

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘£27 to fit a childs rear brake cable Rip Off Mugdock Country Cycles Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.