Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tri wetsuit for surfing
  • andyl
    Free Member

Would it be a terrible idea?

I normally hire wetsuits for surfing but hate the restricted arms and quite fancy something I can use for other water sport like swimming, sup’ing etc.

ferrals
    Free Member

Yes terrible idea

grahamt1980

You would most likely kill it, tri wetsuits are way more fragile than normal wetsuits

scruff9252

Agree with the above, my tri/open water swimming wetsuit is a super delicate thing – trim fingernails before use sorta delicate.

My watersport wetsuit is far more rugged.

convert

Terrible.

The reason they are so flexible is because they don’t have a nylon outer coating to the neoprene making them flexible and hydrodynamic yet very vulnerable to abrasion damage. Your average newbie will put a finger nail through them on their first use. Surfing in one would trash it in no time especially around the knees and arse.

They are also not that warm. The thicker 5mm sections are placed where they are to help you float in a fast efficient position with the remainder being as thin as they can get away with (typically 1- 1.5mm). If making a wetsuit for warmth you would distribute it differently (making it a bit stiffer but a compromise worth having).

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just buy a decent surf brand wetsuit and not a budget one.

TomB

For all the reasons above, I bought a good surf wetsuit for mainly open water swimming, plus the occasional surf. Easily flexible enough for swimming (although it wouldn’t be fast to take off in tri transition) and much more robust.

andyl
    Free Member

Thought so. Will check out the sales post Xmas for a decent surf one.

tuboflard

Yep, as others have said, you’ll trash it within hours or days at best. Not that warm either, mine are 2/3mm with just 4mm panels round the hips to aid body position.

If you want, I’ve got a spare Gul on you can have for nowt, currently running at 7 wetsuits at the last count so need to have a clear out at some point. Am size M.

bikebouy
    Free Member

2mm body, 1mm arms, none protected neoprene?

Last about 20 sessions before the knees give out and the arse end of the zip pulls out of the stitching.

Like the flexibility idea has to be said, not practical though.

ceepers

Early reports of these are good

http://needessentials.uk

olddog

A decent surfing wetsuit will be really stretchy anyway, any of the big brands mid range up. it’s easy to tell when you try them on. And you should try on for fit as it is quite variable,my last three wetsuits have been O’Neil as I’m big in shoulder and long in the body. As well as going for stretchy,look for blind stitched and glued seams so the only water in and out is thoroughness, hand and feet holes.

CraigW
    Free Member

Worth a look at Lomo, they are reasonably priced and pretty tough. http://www.ewetsuits.com/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tri wetsuit for surfing’ is closed to new replies.