Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 207 total)
  • £27 to fit a childs rear brake cable Rip Off Mugdock Country Cycles Glasgow
  • convert

It would have had to be £50+ for me to not bother

You can’t put a price on your kids happiness… it costs what it costs.

You just did 😉

Just thought about it again. My multitool would do everything needed to get a brake cable replaced apart from the cable cutter but by winding the extra into a loop and a bit of duct tape (a few cms of duct tape and zip ties always in saddlebag/rucksack) to secure and you’d be golden for at least a day’s ride. Plenty newly assembled bikes have left my shed for a shake down ride in that condition. In 40 years cycling I can’t recall ever snapping a brake cable mind.

angeldust
    Free Member

The post I think has served its purpose

which was?

Tight bloke so shocked at having to open his wallet that he had to share on internet, apparently.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Tight self satisfied ‘engineer’, apparently.

Hit return and sat back smugly; pleased with trashing a business transaction he could have dealt with at the time.

He must have rode around that day with steam coming out of his ears. All the way home and in front of the keyboard.

Or he could have said something at the time. Especially if he had an engineer membership card.

Kryton57

Brake cable for £3.99? Wiggle are knocking them out for 79p….

*walks away whistling*

Drac

I have checked with a number of cycle shops who ALL agree it is grossly over priced

No you haven’t.

£27 is you look at the part price is a lot but you’re not just paying for that.

tjagain

I’ve never been in the shop nor do I know the owner. £27 to fit the cable is expensive but not ridiculous. If the OP is an engineer he would know that its not a 5 min job for a shop ( or really for anyone)

So mr engineer – how much do you get paid an hour?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I just think it’s funny.
    a) that he didn’t aske the price before hand.
    b) that he didn’t have the kit to fit a cable. How would he mend a bike out in the woods?
    c) that he would expect sympathy here.

br
    Free Member

TJ it’s not how much is he PAID by his company, but how much does he COST to get the comparison with the £27.

Dickyboy

If I were the OP I’d be having a go at my bil for letting my neice’s bike get into such a poor state of repair that the brake cable snapped – will no one think of the children?

BoardinBob

Here’s Evans’ price list

https://static.evanscycles.com/production/campaign/static-pages/Servicing/Servicing_pricelist_2016.pdf

No specific mention of replacing a brake cable however

“We will undertake any other stand-alone repair charged at £15 per 15 minutes (£15 minimum).”

So they’d be charging you £15 minimum plus parts therefore £27 is entirely possible

On the flipside, here’s Willy Bain in the southside. He’s a one man band operation working out of a shoebox sized shop in a shabby part of town.

http://www.bicyclerepair.co.uk/brake-service.htm

He’ll charge you £7.50 an end and I’d assume parts are extra

£10 at Southwest Community Cycles: http://southwestcommunitycycles.co.uk/bike-maintenance-repair/#1483975044585-28666cfb-6650

£25 front and rear at Dales: https://www.dalescycles.com/servicing

“From” £20 to adjust gears at Cyclelane: https://www.cyclelane.co.uk/workshop.php

So in short, there’s no right or wrong price for this. It varies

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d expect those prices to differ if it’s a walk-in and fix there and then job.

Tbh thats the bit I really don’t get, it’s not a chippy you normally stick a bike into bike shops for them to book in.

Walk-in and fix immediately, I’d expect to pay a premium.

tjagain

correct BR – just trying to show him the comparison.

ransos
    Free Member

I can see both sides of it. £27 does seem very steep for a simple inner cable replacement, but I’m conscious that whenever friends have asked me to look at their kids’ bikes, they’re invariably trashed. Inner rusted and seized, brakes out of alignment, wheel out of true, etc… £27 to fix that lot would be very good value.

BoardinBob

Aye but he’s an engineer! Who works for free!

neilthewheel

Always amazes me when customer walks in with a 20 year old bike still with original parts, worn out shifters & expects them to work like they did the day they bought it after we’ve replaced the inner cable (they wouldn’t stump up for an outer too)

“I don’t want to spend too much on it, mind. It only cost me £25…”

ulysse
    Free Member

Granted, you can buy the bits from CRC for about £3 and wait a week and fit them yourself, or pay lbs price of around £7, and fit it yourself, or you could pay the guy a not out of the way £20 for his Labour and not inconsiderable overheads.
    So the op begrudges giving a twenty spot to someone digging him out the shit?
    I’d drop some random a 10 or 20 spot if they fixed a mechanical at the trailside if I couldn’t fix it myself – but I ain’t a Tightwad!

akira

I didn’t realise he was an engineer, he’ll have been charged the universal engineer tax then. Very common in bike shops 😀

BoardinBob

10 ways to be a dick in your local bike shop

(it’s heavily ironic that the shop in question is the shop in the article and video 😆 )

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Says a lot about the dude in the shop that he’s not on here arguing about it, despite Iainc running to him like a 4 year old girl… 😆

gummikuh

No-one mentioned the cost of qualifications.

My Son has just completed his Cytech and I could say the cost is a bit steep! He is really keen to learn and all the local mums would bring no end of awful bikes around for him to fix. They would never offer him even a fiver for his troubles (he would often use all the bits from my spares box), but I got a bit annoyed when I had to fix a puncture only to find all the patches used up.
    He politely says no now, and the kids ride around using their toe caps to stop.
    I think people look at a kids bike and assume prices are somehow cheaper, they probably only paid £50 for it.
    I once had a VW polo, that my wife removed the door mirror on a post, a replacement was nearly £250 the car was around £5000 new, I was shocked, that did not include fitting it!
    Learn to do it yourself, I have often had my day ruined when I’ve managed to unseat the bead on a tubeless set up and failed to get it back on, had to go home early.

Sanny
    Free Member

Looks like a classic example of Number 7 on the list with a bit of Number 4 too!

Man, that piece I wrote just keeps on giving, doesn’t it? It was written with a good dose of tongue in cheek but threads like these help prove the point. Ha! Ha! 😆

(Sits back, smiles and contemplates the merits of dark v milk chocolate digestives).

Sorry OP but the inflammatory title of your thread and your subsequent “I am an engineer” statement have left you wide open to some good natured ridicule. Perhaps next time, your brother in law could ask for a quote or ask you to fix it for him and save you having to post your displeasure online thus incurring the ire of the STW hive mind? 😀

iainc

Nobeer – there were a few of us riding there yesterday morning and popped in as usual for a natter with Keith. He had seen the thread before we went in and asked for some ‘special brake cables’ 🙂

buckster
    Free Member

I reckon a cable inner on a kids bike is longer than 5 minutes to fit. £27 sounds steep. A lesson in life there I suppose. If you ask for a fix it now, it will cost you, if you want it cheap, DIY or leave the bike to be fixed to the shops time schedule.

mcc01
    Free Member

Good morning everyone,
    Can I firstly apologise to Ronnie’s brother in law, we did over charge him. The charge should have been £17 not £27, unfortunately Ronnie’s swearing and abuse put us on the backfoot and we didn’t deal with the situation properly. If Ronnie can get his brother in law to get in touch we will gladly refund him the difference.
    But what I won’t put up with is any kind of abuse in my shop, whether that be verbal or any other kind, I’m sure Ronnie won’t be returning anytime soon but if he does I for one do not want to hear that kind of language and attitude(especially in front of kids).
    I can only apologise for our part in his day but hopefully when the toilet refurbishment is complete and we’ve had more success with getting the council to back more cycling trails up here, he’ll come back and have a better experience.
    All the best, Richard Turpin.

krixmeister

ulysse
    Free Member

Call it a tenner t**t tax?

iainc

nice one Keith 😀

br
    Free Member

+1 mcc01

Maybe you need a ‘folk on this list are barred’ like they use to have in pubs? 🙂

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Well – if nothing else this thread would warn one to avoid dealing with the OP in the classifieds section 😉

kerley
    Free Member

Of course they could have just continued riding with one brake, I used one brake for years as a kid (as did most people – having 2 brakes was not cool).

Also no legal aspect presumably as they were not on the road. Then just fix the cable when you get home.

ronnierush
    Free Member

Hi Richard
    Many thanks for getting back regarding the brake cable.
    I apologise unreservedly for my behaviour, I was extremely upset when i heard the the charge but should have been much more reasonable.

I will ask my brother in law to contact you.

I respect you for your honesty and candour and will be happy to come back to Mugdock with my niece and nephew.

regards
    Ronnie

perchypanther
    Free Member

All the best, Richard Turpin.

Commendable effort to avoid being a Dick. 🙂

scotroutes

I’m still going for the Astroturfing angle.

Sanny
    Free Member

Fair play OP. Good to read that things have worked out now that both sides of the story are out there. 😀

km79
    Free Member

Well you can put your prices up now I suppose since there are so many mugs on here who think £27 for a replacement brake cable fitted is reasonable.

taxi25
    Free Member

Kicking off and swearing not cool !! But as it happens £27 for the job was overcharging, something that so many on this thread seem to have missed. Or maybe they didn’t but just wanted to join the queue to put the boot in to the Op.

weeksy

Kicking off and swearing not cool !! But as it happens £27 for the job was overcharging, something that so many on this thread seem to have missed. Or maybe they didn’t but just wanted to join the queue to put the boot in to the Op

Just because he was over-charged, doesn’t mean the price charged was unreasonable…

angeldust
    Free Member

I apologise unreservedly for my behaviour, I was extremely upset when i heard the the charge but should have been much more reasonable.

Route of the ‘problem’ here is now clear. OP is tight, and acted like a dick about it. At least he has now apologised, which is more than I would expect from some on here.

Kudos to the shop owner (who I don’t know, I’ve never been to that part of the world) for his measured response.

munrobiker
    Free Member

£17 is a bit of a bargain.

Pointing out the OP is actually a massive sweary asshat is priceless.

russyh
    Free Member

Jesus wept. Sounds like OP and his BILneeds to go on some anger management classes.

Well maintained child’s bike breaks at the start of an unsigned ‘non’ official trail. LBS nearby helps out by fixing straight away, charges customer unfairly who then blows up over £10! Bloke the slams the shop, facilities and trail online. Largely because he was too aggressive in the shop to sort the issue out there and then….then to cap it all off plays the ‘im and engineer card’

Perhaps a strongly worded letter to the Mail next time?

Made my coffee break entertaining thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘£27 to fit a childs rear brake cable Rip Off Mugdock Country Cycles Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.