Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 26er Lefty fork to 29er frame with 1.125" head tube. What do I need ?
  • I’ve bought this 26er Lefty fork.

I want to convert it to a 29er and fit it to a frame with a 125mm long 1.125″ head tube.
    There doesn’t seem to be all that much information on Lefties on the web, I’m not even sure what model it is, other than being described as 2002. The upper is aluminium and the lower brake mount and axle section looks like titanium.

First of all, I need to reduce the travel to convert it to a 29er.
    I take it I need the Conversion kit here.
    Do I need the Air volume reduction kit as well as I’m reducing the travel ?

Secondly, and this is where it gets confusing, I need a 1.125″ steerer tube.
    According to Project 321, I need this one, because I’ve got clamp on crowns.
    Is that right ?
    This one from Dr Cannondale is a lot cheaper, but doesn’t appear to have the keyways in the collars to match the keys in the crowns.
    Would it work ?

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have just dropped the travel on mine but its a 08 DLR2 speed carbon one i think yours may be a bit old but if you have a look here there may be something on there http://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/official-lefty-thread-tech-mechanical-etc-572616.html,that steerer from dr Cannondale is for leftys with bonded clamps like mine you will need that 321 one.

STATO
    Free Member

Yep, unless you can get clever with a lathe to make a pressfit reducer your stuck with having to buy the 321 clamps, thats why the bonded lefty’s go for more on eBay, MUCH cheaper to modify.

OK thanks.
    Looks like I bought the wrong fork then if I’m going to need the $200 Project 321 adapter. At ~£130 plus postage, I might be better off looking for a newer fixed crown Lefty.

andyl
    Free Member

can you not just get a 1.125″ steerer with a pair of collars which lock onto the 1.125″ tube and make it the same as the cannondale one thus allowing you to use the original clamps?

That’s what I thought, Andy.
    Both types clamp on to the steerer, I can’t see why they can’t make adapter collars to suit the type that clamps on to the fork leg, similar to the adapter collars for the type that are all in one with the fork leg.
    I can’t understand why it needs two new complete crowns, not just two collars.

andyl
    Free Member

I guess there are stiffness/tolerance issues it fitting a collar inside a collar but it should be doable. Might just need mushroom type collars where you clamp a separate bit to the part that clamps the new steerer. Might add a bit excess material and weight but not much.

Maybe get hold of a steerer from an old set of forks with removable steerers and see if something can be made.

STATO
    Free Member

Can you remove the steerer from the lower crown? if you can then maybe your right, but as i understand it the steerer is fastened into the lower crown and hence, you need a new lower crown.

My steerer is pressed in to the lower crown with a pop rivet to locate it.
    I don’t know how tight a fit it is. It looks like it would be awkward to press out though because of the shape of the crown, there’s nothing much to press against.

STATO
    Free Member

Yep, the ‘collar type’ adaptors as you call them need pinch bolts on the crown to fasten onto the steerer, hence arnt designed to be pressed in (not sure if they are the same size nevermind tolerances). As i said, if you have access to a lathe then you could prob knock up something but there is nothing you can buy that will just work… other than the new crowns.

swampi
    Free Member

drop me an email i may have something of interest

Having done a bit more research, I’ve found that I have bought a 2000, not a 2002 model, and the lock out lever and rebound knob are missing.
    Currently waiting for a reply from the ebay seller.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Was about to say, that it looks like mine, sans lock out lever and rebound knob.. 😐

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘26er Lefty fork to 29er frame with 1.125" head tube. What do I need ?’ is closed to new replies.