Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • 26 or 29?????
  • nickyg1987
    Free Member

Hi all, looking at getting a new bike but can’t decide between 26 or 29?? I have never ridden a 29 so don’t know what it’s like! Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a 29er please??

timraven

Endless threads on here.

The best advice is try everything you can, preferably on your usual trails, not just round a car park. It’s your bike and your hard earned cash.

I tested 4 very different bikes for at least 2 days each, including a 29er, before I bought my 26er Cotic Rocket. For me a 29er didn’t add up, but there will be plenty along to tell you otherwise 😀

muckytee
    Free Member

I have never ridden a 29 so don’t know what it’s like!

Well I suggest you ride one and then a 26er and decide for yourself.

Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a 29er please??

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

convert

For me it’s one of a myriad of “features” about a bike that adds to the sum total of what it’s like to ride. But it’s no more significant than bar width, tyre type and pressure, gearing, stem length, saddle to bar drop, fork and fork setup, frame material, frame geometry etc etc etc. If you are the anal type (I think I might be!) that obsesses about what tyre pressure or bar width you are riding and if it’s wrong the ride is ruined you may well notice the difference. If you just get on and ride your bike you might not even notice, and if you do you will have forgotten about it again in 5mins.

I’ve ended up with one of each. Some might describe this as best of both worlds. I describe it as a pita with switching kit between bikes more difficult and would avoid getting myself in this position again in the future.

Jase
    Free Member

650b

TooTall
    Free Member

Go and ride one. See what you think.

HTH

Cheezpleez

Physics and common sense say 29ers are:
    * faster rolling
    * less manoevrable in tight, twisty stuff
    * better suited to taller riders

All these things are sort of true. But:

* It’s not the most important feature to focus on when buying a new bike
    * You need to try it to see
    * There are lots of different types of 29er and 26er, with lots of overlap
    * Your ideal bike might be either

Have fun choosing your new bike 😀

Endless threads on here.

This, plus most of them will mention;
    “less manoeuvrable in tight, twisty stuff”, which will be followed by someone mentioning that most of the winning bikes at Bristol Bike Fest, a very tight, twisty course, were 29ers
    better suited to taller riders” which will be followed by someone mentioning Willow Koerber.

Clink

Firstly what type of bike do you want? Once that it is decided draw up a list of both wheel sizes and book some test rides. None of your mates got one?

IanMunro
    Free Member

650C is the future. One letter bigger than 650B.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Also what riding is it for?
    I find my 26″ full suss better for rockier/Techy stuff, but I also like my 29ers rigid with no gears.
    Try if you can

nickyg1987
    Free Member

I’m going to go for the stumpjumper fsr!! Just not sure about wheel size!! To I’ve been told that the 29er is good in tight trails which most of our trails are here over in Northern Ireland!!

andyl46
    Free Member

29er xc bike here, 26″ full bouncer (meta 5) as the 26er is more confidence inspiring for jumps and drops and more techy stuff, whereas the 29er is very capable on rooty and smaller rocky singletrack stuff. As a big guy, the 29er feels great, and I look like I’ve nicked a kids bike on the Meta.

nemtbroutes
    Free Member

Agree with the others, it’s all about the kind of riding and/or racing you’ll be doing. I think for many XC racers 29ers are the way to go but if you’re riding for fun at trail centres the added suspension travel of 26″ bikes may have the edge in terms of the entertainment stakes.

I’d always read it was the 26″ bikes that were better in tighter situations but actually found my 29er (Canyon CF SLX) to be superior to my 26 full suspension bike (Zesty 514). It’s very nimble and responsive in the tight stuff with great balance.

I think it was Mountain Bike UK last month that ran a comparison between 26, 27.5 and 29 bikes. The 29″ bikes were the fastest over their test course with the 27.5″ bikes a close second. The 26″ were noticeably slower. As with all these decisions it’s best to test ride the bike in question on the terrain you plan to ride.

mrmo
    Free Member

In all seriousness.

It is all Bollocks,

buy a bike you like the look of and ride it. 26,27.5,29 marketing crap for the most part as far as most riders are concerned. Yes there will be advantages and disadvantages to each but do you change tyres for every ride, that is something that would make a big difference. Do you tweak the damping on your suspension depending on if your riding woods, trail centre, AM etc etc etc.

charliedontsurf

Get a demo ride on a 29, it is a better option for a lot of people, not all, but a lot.

psling
    Free Member

Overheard last week in a bike shop (a branch of quite a large chain) – a member of staff chatting with a customer stating that “we are unlikely to be ordering 26″ wheeled bikes for 2013”. Now, how much authority said member of staff may have I don’t know but I was pretty surprised to hear it. Whether BS or a sign of where major manufacturers are going with their marketing I don’t know; if the latter it’s bad news if component manufacturers follow their lead 🙁

nickyg1987
    Free Member

I’m not sure if we can get demos over here in Northern Ireland??

JCL
    Free Member

Just go with the 29″ Stumpy. It’ll be a better all-round trail bike in every situation.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I agree with mrmo.

There is a lot more to the bike than what wheels it happens to have. The 29er I got was slower over the riding I do than the equivalent 26er so I sold it. However speed is not everything. Fun is more important and my 29er was a lot less fun than my 26er…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Jase – Member
    650b

+1

nickc

there were two 26″ wheeled bikes in my local branch of Leisure Lakes. The rest were 29ers. I think 26″ bikes will become niche in a couple of years (once one of the major fork manufacturers gives up on 26″ that’ll be that.) 29ers are probably better for most UK rides and riders, and once someone sorts out a decent looking 29er full suss, it’ll be all over bar the shouting on the forums.

Which is why I ride a LT HT 26″….

Buy what you want, as long as it makes you smile, nothing else matters

muddyfunster
    Free Member

This should be of interest to you.

http://www.nsmb.com/5374-stumpjumper-evo-head-to-head-test/

http://www.nsmb.com/5422-stumpjumper-evo-head-to-head-test/

No conclusive outcome, but still worth reading. Personally I’ve always tried to keep an open mind about these things but as things go on I can’t help think but it’s the biggest marketing scam the bike industry has ever pulled on MTB’ers.

Yes, a 29er might roll better, it may ride over small bumps and objects more easily, but, and it’s a big but – Nino Schurter has proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that any perceived benefit they may have can be more than negated by the rider. And for those of you who don’t know, that was in the arena of XC world cup and world champs.

Manufacturers are still banging on about trying to “replicate 26 inch geometry on 29 inch bikes”. Why bother. Until this whole fad happped no one ever rode a bike and then proclaimed “it’s good but it just needs bigger wheels”.

I’m sticking with 26 because the bikes have better geometry, and a much better selection and availability of key components, forks, wheels, tyres, rims. And if the industry does force me one day onto another wheel size I hope it’s 650b, not 29. I don’t need 29 inch wheels on my mountainbike thankyouverymuch Specialized and Trek.

andyl46
    Free Member

Nicky, what height are you and where in Norn Irn?

gb1m
    Free Member

Manufacturers are still banging on about trying to “replicate 26 inch geometry on 29 inch bikes”. Why bother. Until this whole fad happped no one ever rode a bike and then proclaimed “it’s good but it just needs bigger wheels”.

I’m sticking with 26 because the bikes have better geometry, and a much better selection and availability of key components, forks, wheels, tyres, rims. And if the industry does force me one day onto another wheel size I hope it’s 650b, not 29. I don’t need 29 inch wheels on my mountainbike thankyouverymuch Specialized and Trek.

Couldn’t of put it better myself muddyfunster

Sam

650C is the future. One letter bigger than 650B.

If it wasn’t for the fact that mountain ‘650b’ aren’t actually 650b anyhow you might be on to something….

nickyg1987
    Free Member

Cheers muddyfunster for them reviews!! I’m 5’11 and from Maghera

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What type of riding do you do/are you going to be doing on it? No one can really answer unless we know that. I own a 26 and a 29 so can probably help you a bit.

nickyg1987
    Free Member

I want to have fun at trail centres, doing epic’s and hopefully some enduro events!! I have a hard tail which I would still use and possibly use it for xc racing! Any help would be great

JCL
    Free Member

No conclusive outcome, but still worth reading. Personally I’ve always tried to keep an open mind about these things but as things go on I can’t help think but it’s the biggest marketing scam the bike industry has ever pulled on MTB’ers.

Yes, a 29er might roll better, it may ride over small bumps and objects more easily, but, and it’s a big but – Nino Schurter has proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that any perceived benefit they may have can be more than negated by the rider. And for those of you who don’t know, that was in the arena of XC world cup and world champs.

Nino is the best XC racer in the world regardless of wheel size. He’d win on 26″ and 29″. The reason he went with 650b is because he didn’t like the ‘in the bike’ feel of the 29″ and Scott are pushing 650b.

650b will be the norm up to 130mm in the future but that is more about marketing than anything the 29″ marketeers have come up with. I mean, an inch and a quarter larger than 26″? If you’re going to go to the trouble of new components and frames you may aswell get some real world benefits and go 29″.

The NSMB test is the worst I’ve ever read. They didn’t do a single timed run and the only good rider in the test is quite short and rides a 26″ Evo. It’s obviously going to feel massively odd for him but I bet a million bucks that if they did a timed run he would be a LOT faster on the 29″ Evo.

I have a 26″ Evo and just spend a couple weeks on the 29″ Evo. The latter has about 20% more grip and feels like it has 10mm more travel than the 26″. Yet it easily outclimbs the 26″ and just demolishes it on the descents.

Nicky at 5’11” you shouldn’t even consider the 26″. A standard 29″ Stumpy would more or less be as quick on the descents as an Evo 26″ but it will easily outclimb it. Think tech root climbs, you can just sit on the 29″ and ride across diagonal roots and up small steps that would have the 26″ wheelspinning going light on the front etc.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hmm there’s no clear cut answer really. Because you’ll be using it for trail centers and epic’s, my first reaction was that you should go with a 26. But some people simply prefer 29ers I think! If your trails are very tight and twisty then I would chose a 26, as the one area 29ers still seem to fall back on is sharp cornering, just a tad though, not a major issue. I love my 29er for endurance racing, but if I wasn’t a racer I probably wouldn’t have bought one. For racing they are really nice once you get the speed up and seem to carry speed better through rough sections. Hard to say really!
    But ye, if you’re not a racer then I’d stick with 26.

nickyg1987
    Free Member

But is the 29 not lacking in tight twisty switchback trails as we have here in Ireland??? That’s my concern about the 29er!! And also not as sharp on cornering??

coolhandluke
    Free Member

26″ worked great for years and years before 29ers arrived.

They still work.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

But is the 29 not lacking in tight twisty switchback trails as we have here in Ireland??? That’s my concern about the 29er!! And also not as sharp on cornering??

Mine feels a tad slower in tight twisty forest sections, thats the only drawback I can find with mine, apart from the added weight. I’d stick with a 26 for your type of riding. I haven’t even used my 29 in Ireland yet, just been using my 26 bikes here.

mrmo
    Free Member

compare an old school Bontrager Race, 63mm travel on the front 71degree headangle with the newer jump bikes with 67degree headangles and 150mm forks.

Both use 26″ wheels and that is where the similarities end.

far more to picking a bike than the wheel size.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Nino is the best XC racer in the world regardless of wheel size. He’d win on 26″ and 29″. The reason he went with 650b is because he didn’t like the ‘in the bike’ feel of the 29″ and Scott are pushing 650b.

He’s a pretty amazing rider. 100% agree. But I think his peers are close enough to him, skill and stamina wise, that if they had any mechanical advantage it would manifest itself in terms of results. The general consensus is that 29ers are considerably faster on XC terrain. Despite his competitors having bikes that, going by your estimation have 20% more grip, feel like they have 10mm more travel, and easily out climb their smaller wheeled counterparts; he dominated. How is that? The answer is there is nowhere near the amount of difference people bandy about. Nothing that can’t be easily negated.

650b will be the norm up to 130mm in the future but that is more about marketing than anything the 29″ marketeers have come up with. I mean, an inch and a quarter larger than 26″? If you’re going to go to the trouble of new components and frames you may aswell get some real world benefits and go 29″.

Why? Why is it absurd ? If a larger wheel size has the massive benefits you speak of, but obvious drawbacks concerning weight and geometry on long travel full suspension bikes, then it stands to reason a middle size is a good compromise. It will have some of the benefits and less of the drawbacks. I LOVE how the quickest people to slate 650b are people who already ride 29ers and who sing their virtues from atop their virtual mountains of smugness.

The NSMB test is the worst I’ve ever read. They didn’t do a single timed run and the only good rider in the test is quite short and rides a 26″ Evo. It’s obviously going to feel massively odd for him but I bet a million bucks that if they did a timed run he would be a LOT faster on the 29″ Evo.

Worst test you’ve ever read?. Perhaps you should write your own? I’d like to read it. I thought it was a good idea to get a mix of riders view points, which is close to all the real world views and info out there. Most opinions being spouted online are just that, opinions. Few people ever get the chance to do what that test did, identical bikes, different riders. More often the comparisons are conjecture based on 29er hardtails vs 140mm full sus 26er etc. Perhaps you didn’t like it because some of the opinions differed from your own? The article didn’t seem to have any agenda as such.

I have a 26″ Evo and just spend a couple weeks on the 29″ Evo. The latter has about 20% more grip and feels like it has 10mm more travel than the 26″. Yet it easily outclimbs the 26″ and just demolishes it on the descents.

Nicky at 5’11” you shouldn’t even consider the 26″. A standard 29″ Stumpy would more or less be as quick on the descents as an Evo 26″ but it will easily outclimb it. Think tech root climbs, you can just sit on the 29″ and ride across diagonal roots and up small steps that would have the 26″ wheelspinning

He “shouldn’t even consider it”. Well that’s definitive. And yet you have no idea what terrain he rides on. What the Irish gravity enduro tracks are like. Whether his local shop keeps 29er tyres, or rims, or even tubes. Carry on.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its the marketing scam sh** I get bored of. generally by people who have bought into all sorts of different axles sizes/set ups, uppy downy seat posts, 1×10 etc.

Just because it doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean its just a marketing scam. There will always be marketing behind every product as to why its better etc than product Y. Bike companies will always be trying to sell you something its what they are there for.

There is always an element of brands pushing pro’s to ride their latest product and what they are pushing, but what would sell more bikes Nino last on a 650b or 1st on a 26er. The bike the rider is fastest on would come first.

Try everything you can and buy what you want it may be what your mates rides it may not, just as long as it puts a smile on your face.

JCL
    Free Member

That’s a total garbage myth pushed by the 26″ crew. I should know I used to be one! We’re talking 25mm longer wheelbase. Do you really think that will make such a huge difference? Most DH bikes have a 40mm+ longer wheelbase for size than a trail bike yet a DH bike will destroy any trail bike through tight stuff on a descent.

What it is is your center of mass or specifically roll center on the 29″ is lower so it doesn’t flip-flop left to right as quickly as a 26″ but once you get used to it you are just a little more aggressive with the bike in tighter stuff. The benefits of that lower COM is what really makes the biggest difference when you’re smashing it.

mrmo
    Free Member

Just because it doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean its just a marketing scam. There will always be marketing behind every product as to why its better etc than product Y. Bike companies will always be trying to sell you something its what they are there for.

i would look at this slightly differently, it is in the interest of manufacturers to come up with new ideas, it is after all how they pay the bills. There has to be a benefit, and there will be for some people some of the time. But for most people who ride once a week if that you really aren’t going to see any benifit beyond your head justifying what you have bought.

Most bikes on the market these days are good, use your head look at the marketing and buy the bike that appeals. 26/29 is really a non issue, assuming you buy a bike for what you want to do you will be fine.

Buy a DH for XC racing and you won’t be happy, but just buying a 29er XC bike won’t stop you getting a kicking from the old bloke riding in a canoe helmet on a 1980’s raleigh mustang. …

That’s a total garbage myth pushed by the 26″ crew. I should know I used to be one! We’re talking 25mm longer wheelbase. Do you really think that will make such a huge difference? Most DH bikes have a 40mm+ longer wheelbase for size than a trail bike yet a DH bike will destroy any trail bike through tight stuff on a descent.

sorry that is bollocks, depends on the bike, the rider the trail, different 26ers ride differently, same as there is no such thing as one magical 29er.

JCL
    Free Member

He’s a pretty amazing rider. 100% agree. But I think his peers are close enough to him, skill and stamina wise, that if they had any mechanical advantage it would manifest itself in terms of results. The general consensus is that 29ers are considerably faster on XC terrain. Despite his competitors having bikes that, going by your estimation have 20% more grip, feel like they have more travel, and easily out climb their smaller wheeled counterparts; he dominated. How is that? The answer is there is nowhere near the amount of difference people bandy about

Like I say, I’m sure Scott being ahead of the market with 650b influenced the wheelsize choice for him. Again, he would probably win on any size as he’s unbelievable. The question is would Fontanna be as close on a 26″? I honestly doubt it.

Why? Why is it absurd ? If a larger wheel size has the massive benefits you speak of, but obvious drawbacks concerning weight and geometry on long travel full suspension bikes, then it stands to reason a middle size is a good compromise. I LOVE how the quickest people to slate 650b are people who already ride 29ers sing their virtues from atop their virtual mountains of smugness.

I don’t own a 29″ I have a 26″ Evo that is currently up for sale. The thing with 650b is it isn’t in the middle, it;s a little over an inch bigger. Worth a total industry shake up? Hardly, that is a marketing ‘solution’ if ever there was one. I’ve ridden a couple 650b so I’m not being totally ignorant regarding them. I also think most 29’ers look crap. The Stumpy Evo 29″ with it’s ugly swoopy toptube etc doesn’t look half as nice as the 26″ but it’s night and day faster so I don’t have a lot of choice than to move on.

Tyres wise Specialized make all you need. Purgatory, Ground Control, Butcher’s. Quite amazing tires. The Schwalbe Hans Dampf is great also.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘26 or 29?????’ is closed to new replies.