Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • 26 or 29?????
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Why is it then that all the manufactures gravity based bikes are 26 inch then?

Toughest market to convince, after all its marketing hype. 😉

26″ is generally stringer but more brands are bringing big wheels out.

As I’ve said before 29″ is an option not an answer.

TooTall
    Free Member

Until more people like Rob Cooksley (winner of the 2011 UK Gravity Enduro, on a 29er) understand what they are all about, then it will take time. It was 5 years ago when Specialized swore they wouldn’t do 29ers. Things change.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

So Nicky any more thoughts yourself?

nickyg1987
    Free Member

I’m so far undecided!! I think I will try and see if I get my hands on a 29er and try one out!! I don’t want to knock them but I think they might not be for me tho…

JCL
    Free Member

Just because you’re scared to do it, doesn’t make it a myth, i’m afraid.

Buying a 29er is like buying a people carrier. They have obvious advantages over a car, but maybe aren’t as much fun to drive.

The bigger wheels are definitely faster in this case. Riding your ass off but still going slower on a 26″ Stumpjumper doesn’t sound like fun to me.

Hard to engineer long travel around those wheels but I suspect the forthcoming Enduro 29″ will change things a little.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

When everyone is racing 29ers all we’ll be left with is no perceived advantage and everyone on bikes that look shit.. I’ve yet to see anyone riding (trail centre or natural ride) a 29er where I thought “wow, he’s flying!” it’s generally someone utterly mincing down the least tech descent/section with less than no style. Tell me, is this ‘cos the bikes or the people riding them are just shite?

mattjg
    Free Member

Tell me, is this ‘cos the bikes or the people riding them are just shite?

In my case, it’s the rider.

(I really can’t get over how aggravated some people are about this subject).

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

On my part it’s mainly the big fat ****you from the bike industry about the whole subject, I want to ride a 26er, the advantages of a 29er are clear to me and they haven’t won me over. Try buying a high end 26 inch full build for XC, it’s pretty much impossible and getting harder in the mincemountain category, 650b seems like it’s gonna kill off 26ers whether anyone wants it to or not. Choice is good, enforced change isn’t and that’s how it’s heading.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Tell me, is this ‘cos the bikes or the people riding them are just shite?

Rider, deffo 😉 .

muddyfunster
    Free Member

wobbliscott –
    650B? whats the point? They’ve got most of the disadvantages of 26ers and not quite all the advantages of 29ers.

That’s like saying 160mm of travel, what’s the point? It has most of the disadvantages of 200mm of travel and none of the advantages of 100mm of travel. And while we are on it, what are the disadvantages of 26 inch wheels again? I…am ….struggling…to…think…of…any.

wobbliscott
    There are clear advantages to 29ers – that’s just a fact, with very few downsides, certainly none that are not able to be overcome with good design and development.

Let’s just do a quick recap shall we, this year 29ers won what exactly? The Olympic XC Gold. Anything else? XC World Cup – 650b. XC World Champs – 650b. Olympic XC Ladies gold – 26 inch. DH World Cup – 26 inch. DH World Champs – 26 inch. Red Bull Rampage – 26 inch. Megavalanche – 26 inch. Trans Provence – 26 inch. and so on, and so on.

Just what are these clear advantages and facts again? I am still waiting for someone to explain how a 29er can lose the XC world champs, and XC world cup to a smaller, inferior wheel size that has little or no advantage over 26 inch wheels according to i’s detractors. Saying Schurter is simply a better rider doesn’t cut it. The awkward truth is that the difference is tiny on anything but the flattest or least technical terrain.

TooTall

Until more people like Rob Cooksley (winner of the 2011 UK Gravity Enduro, on a 29er) understand what they are all about, then it will take time.

Rob Cooksley owns an Intense dealership does he not? No offense but that makes him as partisan as the next guy. Do you really think that Nico Vouilloz, Jerome Clementz, Joe Barnes, Mark Weir, Rene Wildhaber, Dan Atherton are all mugs and lacking in the perception or will to win that Cooksley has?

mattjg
    Free Member

Good lord mate, calm down before you do yourself an injury.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Nnnnnnnnggghhhhhhhh!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not to repeat what I said at the top of the page but it’s mostly all bollox the wheel size does not define the entire bike. There are advantages and disadvantages we will only know in a few years time what will happen. Anyone declaring one is best is talking from their arse.

mrmo
    Free Member

Not to repeat what I said at the top of the page but it’s mostly all bollox the wheel size does not define the entire bike. There are advantages and disadvantages we will only know in a few years time what will happen. Anyone declaring one is best is talking from their arse.

+1

TooTall
    Free Member

No offense but that makes him as partisan as the next guy.

But he WINS a gravity event series on a 29er. Riding what you sell is one thing (and he sells other bikes) but riding and winning is, well, winning. On a 29er. In a gravity event.

zippykona

From my 29 experience I have never noticed any barge like steering. I would say that you should aim for the lightest wheel set possible.

mrmo
    Free Member

But he WINS a gravity event series on a 29er. Riding what you sell is one thing (and he sells other bikes) but riding and winning is, well, winning. On a 29er. In a gravity event.

means nothing, seriously, as long as it is not a disadvantage marketing has always driven the race market.

you ride what your sponsor tells you to, your sponsor will tell you to ride what it wants to sell.

gb1m
    Free Member

On my part it’s mainly the big fat ****you from the bike industry about the whole subject, I want to ride a 26er, the advantages of a 29er are clear to me and they haven’t won me over. Try buying a high end 26 inch full build for XC, it’s pretty much impossible and getting harder in the mincemountain category, 650b seems like it’s gonna kill off 26ers whether anyone wants it to or not. Choice is good, enforced change isn’t and that’s how it’s heading.

I agree with this totally and that’s why I took the plunge and just bought what I think is the best and maybe last 26er going. (stumpy evo carbon)

I’ve never ridden a 29er so can’t comment on how they ride (i just don’t like the way they look), but from what I’ve heard off others that have both that the advantages/disadvantages are minimal.

It does pee me off though that the choice is being taken away from us.

TooTall
    Free Member

dirt-magazine-26v29

you ride what your sponsor tells you to

The bloke owns his own shop. He rides whatever he wants. You just don’t like that 29ers are winning a gravity race.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

TooTall

The bloke owns his own shop. He rides whatever he wants. You just don’t like that 29ers are winning a gravity race.

TooTall

But Mr. Tall, is he winning because of, inspite of or regardless of his wheel size? I am aware that Cooksley is convinced his 29er is faster, I read the article and saw the video. But is he faster because the bike is massively faster? Is he the much faster rider regardless of the bike? Or is he faster because he’s taken the time to adapt to the bike and it’s no small coincidence that he sells a bike brand who have gotten behind 29ers in a big way. Will we see him winning on a 650b intense next year?

Who can say. Every time I mention Nino Schurter, people say “well he would win” he’s the best. I’m inclined to say Cooksley would do well regardless of his bike, any bike, never mind wheel size. Wasn’t he already winning No Fuss Gravity enduro events on 26″ wheeled Intense bikes? (he was btw).

mrmo
    Free Member

no he rides what he can get, just because he owns a shop doesn’t mean a great deal. I know a few shop staff on 29ers because it suits the market place to be seen using what is fashionable.

If it was a major disadvantage they would refuse, but it isn’t really a major advantage.

A bike is a bike and it is the legs, head, and ability of the rider that matters.

TooTall
    Free Member

heh

Thanks guys. 😀

Northwind

So out of curiosity, when Box came 3rd overall this year, does that prove that his Intense is now slower than it was in 2011? If Crawfy had made all the rounds would people be running to buy 26er Mojo HDs?

It’s not about the bike… And if it’s not about the bike, then what are the odds it’s about the wheels?

mrmo
    Free Member

does that prove that his Intense is now slower than it was in 2011?

no, proves he is 2nd fastest looser 🙂 nothing more, nothing less.

andyl46
    Free Member

Nicky, I have an XL canyon Hardtail you can take for a spin, here in Belfast. I know its not a full bouncer, but it should help make your mind up about how they go round corners, roll over stuff and dispel any “hype” be it marketing or opinion of those who haven’t ridden one.

I’d have loved a 120mm 29er full bouncer for the enduro series as I think the combination of bigger wheels rolling better over rooty rocky sections and their ability to carry momentum would make for a great ride. Somewhere between the travel of my Meta 5 and the rolling abilities of my Canyon 29er HT. If the wheels were stiff and strong enough, and I think my Sun Ringle charger Pro’s are, then that would be a fun rig to ride. I know a fella who did the champs on a fully rigid 29er singlespeed with semi drop bars. But he’s a bit special! 😉

JCL
    Free Member

Decker and Craig were 1st and 2nd on 29″ at Downieville this year.

Strange how 99% of people in this thread seem to ignore that we’re only talking about 26″ and 29″ Stumpjumpers 😕 I wonder how many people have ridden them both….

mrmo
    Free Member

as far as i can see your the one talking about stump jumpers, everyone else is talking about 26/27.5/29 in general.

and for what i can see you seem to have swallowed the marketing hook line and sinker.

the OP might prefer a bike that has 29er wheels but that does not mean much really.

A bike is a bike, wheel size is one part of the equation, geometry, weight, finishing kit, and especially tyres and setup are fundamentally important.

nickyg1987
    Free Member

Cheers andy!! All this info is brilliant but it doesn’t really help make my mind up!! I guess I will just have to seeif I can get a hold of one and try it!! I still feel the 26 would be more fun and be able to be thrown in and out of corners easier??

muddyfunster
    Free Member

andyl46 I know a fella who did the champs on a fully rigid 29er singlespeed with semi drop bars. But he’s a bit special!

So where did he finish up?

andyl46
    Free Member

Not last, but neither he nor I were ever going to be remotely close to winning. More of a having a laugh mission for both of us. Nicky, the only way to find out is ride both and see which you prefer. I like ny 29er HT and I like my 26″ Meta 5 Full bouncer. Use them for different things, and so there we go. If you are going to thrash the arse of it, I’d go 26″. Want to cover big miles and don’t go to “big”, then the 29er would be my shout.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘26 or 29?????’ is closed to new replies.