Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • 26 Ain't Dead
  • asherh
    Free Member

Can’t get it to embed. Good vid though.

asherh
    Free Member

Oops, ignore me. Missed the news article.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

bugger beat me to it……the boy and rip….not R.I.P

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

link to cotic website to watch vid

jaymoid

This looked fun, anyone know where it was filmed? Especially the last bit.

roverpig

Nice one. Almost makes me want to buy a Cotic, or at least one of the “26 ain’t dead” tops.

I must admit that I lost a bit of respect for Orange when they jumped on the 650b wagon, which is silly really. If they hadn’t done so I wouldn’t have got such a good deal on my 26″ Five frame. But when everybody goes in one direction I can’t help but admire anybody who chooses not to follow.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Parkwood springs according to the vimeo comments.

Nice video but I was hoping for some in-depth physics and statistical analysis to back up the proposition 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Aka 26 ain’t dead as we ordered these frames 9 months ago and they just landed

kimbers

itll never catch on

nealglover
    Free Member

This looked fun, anyone know where it was filmed? Especially the last bit.

Sheffield.

jaymoid

Ah thanks mrblobby… Didn’t even know this place existed, will have to check it out.

Nice video but I was hoping for some in-depth physics and statistical analysis to back up the proposition

erm… statistically, it is the most popular mountain bike wheel size!

rOcKeTdOg

Nice one. Almost makes me want to buy a Cotic, or at least one of the “26 ain’t dead” tops

do they have a warehouse full of t shirts to shift as well as dead 26″ stock then? 😉

cool vid though

iainc

does make you wonder how they will approach the PR of dropping 26 for 27.5 if they ever do !!

..proud Soul owner btw 🙂

edd

26 Ain’t Dead

I’ve not seen the video but if it’s like other Steel City productions I imagine that it’s very good. It does however seems like a strange stance for Cotic to take.

I ride two bikes: a 2008, 26” hardtail and a 2010, 26” full suss. I have been in not great rush to upgrade from 26” wheels.

Recently, however, my full suspension bike cracked out of warranty. I’ve decided to replace it with a 2014, 650b full suspension. My decision was based on a multitude of reasons but the key thing here was I didn’t choose a 26”.

I imagine that I’m like many other riders in this respect. No rush for change, 26″ is still fun, but when forced to buy a new bike (mine had cracked) I didn’t buy a 26″.

I don’t doubt that Cotic still has customers that buy 26” bikes/ frames but it seems curious that they are, apparently, ignoring potential customers who want a 650b.

asterix
    Free Member

but when forced to buy a new bike

well I bought my 26er in 1996 and although it could break any day I don’t think it will. I gave it a present of some nice new wheels earlier this year and it had a new groupset last year – good for a few more years

winch
    Free Member

Makes me want to move to Sheffield even more

dragon
    Free Member

A man riding in skinny jeans, and pushing uphill is supposed to be telling me about mtbing?!

bigblackshed

That boy was ragging that BFe. Makes me want one even more.

As for being “forced” to buy a 650b, I refuse to call them the other name cos they ain’t, you can still buy plenty of perfectly good 26″ FS frames.

Don’t believe the hype.

edd

bigblackshed – I think you need to re-read. I was forced to buy a new bike (mine had broken). I chose to buy a 650b. My comment was that I don’t think I’m unusual in the position of having the choice and not choosing 26″.

banks
    Free Member

BBS, have a look at next years range of bikes. Really not much choice in 26″ frames compared to 27.5/29ers

duir
    Free Member

Great video. Warms my heart to see the Manufacturers assisting the 650b backlash. At this rate we will be able to get back to 26″ 2 years earlier than the industry plans to.

roverpig

BBS, have a look at next years range of bikes. Really not much choice in 26″ frames compared to 27.5/29ers

Which is why it makes sense for a niche manufacturer to keep supporting them. The number of people who would prefer to stick with 26″ bikes may not be huge, but it’s enough to keep Cotic in business.

GEDA
    Free Member

Size of wheel means nothing compared to having the skillz. Hence biking companies can make a video with any old rubbish bike and give it to a good rider and they will make it look amazing. If we all believed the hype we would all be riding road bikes like Martyn Ashton off road doing rad stunts.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Or Mongooses like Chris Askrigg.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Great vid. Cotics are brilliant bikes irrespective of wheel size. My riding buddy has a Soul and a Norco Shinobi and loves both bikes – different tools for different jobs, but both can do anything. I’m sure that rider would have shredded any 29er/650B bike just as much.

cakefacesmallblock

I just look at the whole wheel thing like this. Right now in mtb, I can choose 3 wheel sizes. If I like another 26er, if I feel the need for another bike, then fine by me .
    Real nice video.

passtherizla
    Free Member

No one wants 650b though. It was pushed on us by the marketing people wasn’t it? 😉

miketually
    Free Member

it makes sense for a niche manufacturer to keep supporting them. The number of people who would prefer to stick with 26″ bikes may not be huge, but it’s enough to keep Cotic in business.

This. It’s the same reason why they’ve done so well with the Rocket; because they’re not trying to directly compete with the big boys.

messiah
    Free Member

Fun.

jonba
    Free Member

GEDA +1

There is nothing in that video that sells a wheel size to me. That guy would do exactly the same on a 26, 26.5, 27, 27,5, 28,28.5,29 or watever standard they come up with next.

Most people seem more concerned about not picking the betamax option.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ahh, jonba, the irony there is that the Betamax option was actually the best! I think that is a classic example of proof that the masses don’t always make the right choice. I don’t know which wheel size is the correct one, I suspect none are.

matther01
    Free Member

As a frame only and with many of us with 26 wheels and forks…’26 aint dead’ makes perfect sense to me….well done Cotic ( was that Cy cryingin the vid?)

daveh
    Free Member

1. That RS Pike looked ever so composed
    2. Ah that’s how you ride Parkwood Springs

That is all.

Kryton57

roverpig – Member
    Nice one. Almost makes me want to buy a Cotic

+1

There is nothing in that video that sells a wheel size to me. That guy would do exactly the same on a 26, 26.5, 27, 27,5, 28,28.5,29 or watever standard they come up with next.

Excellent – so I can do all that on my 26″ 100m HT? Great news!!

GEDA
    Free Member

None of them are right. I have a 29er which is great and a dialled Alpine 26er but it makes no difference. The big difference this year is that I have been out in the woods, built my own trails, jumps, drops and a pump track and I have got so much better. Once you know you can move/push/pull the bike around instead of just standing on it I started getting better. I also ride a 2006 Patriot and am going to be 40 next year and still (Due to lack of competition in my part of the world 🙂 ) get KOMs on stuff. I am a firm believer in Shimano Deore and firm hater of marketing that makes me confused between biking and golf.

doug_basqueMTB.com

That was ace! The whole wheel size thing doesn’t really interest me, during my season I was riding a 29 and 26 almost every day. i was doing runs on the 26 and 29 back to back quite often as I pulled whatever bike came to hand out the van. I found them both brilliant, different but great. Next year I will choose the bike I want and that will determine the wheel size.

I’m seriously considering scratching my hardtail itch with a BeFe though!

maxtorque

iainc
    does make you wonder how they will approach the PR of dropping 26 for 27.5 if they ever do !!

Perhaps a viral video based campaign called “26 IS dead”??? 😉

rexated
    Free Member

Great riding, I enjoyed the video and watched it right through.

= good marketing. Good on them.

gaz552
    Free Member

That guy definitely wasn’t hanging around on that bike, looked like a fun place to ride too.

ton

fantastic that…….all bikes all good……. 8)

Northwind

Excellent vid but it’s all soft dirt and smooth trail centre stuff, if there was any rocks he’d have had to switch to 27.5 in order to roll over them smoothly.

(did anyone else see in the last Canyon vid with the Dudes, they managed to include a bit with them talking about rolling smoothly over rocks, and demonstrated it with a bit of someone hopping completely over some rocks without touching… that’s how smooth those wheels are.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘26 Ain't Dead’ is closed to new replies.