Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 240Volt To 12Volt converter
  • singlespeedstu

Anyone recommend a converter that I can plug into a 240volt supply with a 12volt fag lighter type socket the other end?
    I’ve already had two of them that have stopped working in a very short time.

singlespeedstu

No one used one of these things then?

TooTall
    Free Member

What are you using it for?

singlespeedstu

Plugging a coolbox into it for an hour or so before it goes into the car.

leffeboy

I just use a Coleman one for that. Seems ok but has only had a few weeks of use over the last two years

TooTall
    Free Member

How many amps is the coolbox drawing? I know they are quite a lot and more than many mains to cig lighter adapters are designed for.

singlespeedstu

The only info on there says 34Watt input.
    The info on the converter I have says 60Watt output.

It’s a Mobicool box and converter that were sold as compatible.

paladin
    granny_ring

Got mine from Halfords at the same time as buying the cool box, tenner I think.

granny_ring

Here you go
    Gone up a fiver.

globalti
    Free Member

A cellphone charger type 240v – 12v transformer will work forever as long as you don’t overload it. Then it gets hot and goes bang. Guess how I know this?

allthepies
    Free Member

Mobile phone charging current draw is quite different to a coolbox current draw 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Mine was running the controller and 12v pump on my solar water array, which draw about 0.4 amps. The pump began to seize after 5 years of hard work and the draw went up to over 2 amps. Pop!

stumpy01

We’ve got one of these Kampa ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KAMPA-MAINS-ADAPTOR-COOLERS-COOLBOXES/dp/B005BPD25E

Had it about 5 years now, although it only gets used for camping weekends 2 or 3 times a year. We use it for a coolbox/peltier fridge thing when camping and it had been fine.
    It’s rated for 5A output, which you need for the peltier type coolers.

We has a fuse blow in the fridge concector (the cigarette socket) and it was a funny sized fuse – smaller than a domestic one, but the same form; Maplin did replacements, so might be worth getting hold of some.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘240Volt To 12Volt converter’ is closed to new replies.