Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • 23 Seconds AFTER the Light Went To Red! Is That a Ban?
  • monksie
    Free Member

A bloke I work with has copped a red light jumping notification last week. He's sent his details off and has today received a letter advising him he has to send his licence in. He's just telephoned DVLA (or whoever it is that deals with this kind of stuff) demanding that he be offered a driving awareness course.
    He's not allowed one as he went through the red light 23 seconds after the light went to red!
    This isn't just over the white line, this is sailing through at 33 mph on the A6 in Stockport at 10:30 am on a Tuesday. How somebody didn't get wiped out is pure look.
    His response? A shrug of the shoulders and "It's just one of those things".
    This is just one more reason why I really dislike this bloke. He also pulls over to block cyclists to stop them going past him in traffic "for the fun of it".
    Is he going to get banned for the red light incident?

sweepy
    Free Member

hope so, he sounds like a nob

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh well he'll probably get banned soon with that attitude – unfortunately he'll probably still drive when banned with no insurance 🙁

Nah probably 6 points but if he already has 6 points then he'll probably be banned?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

3 points & a small fine no doubt.

crazy-legs

This is just one more reason why I really dislike this bloke. He also pulls over to block cyclists to stop them going past him in traffic "for the fun of it".

Might well have been the guy whose car I kicked the other week (first time I've kicked a car in years!)
    Going up the middle of the two lanes, he'd already cut me up earlier so I was aware of the car and clocked it from a fair distance, as I drew level with it he just pulled into me, fortunately there was enough of a gap to go through and I slammed my metal cleat into his right front wing.

Traffic was snarled up enough that I got away without seeing him again.

soobalias
    Free Member

He also pulls over to block cyclists to stop them going past him in traffic "for the fun of it".

and i deliberately clip the wing mirrors of cars that are driven like that, "for a giggle"

fluffy bunnies everywhere in life!

xc-steve
    Free Member

I do find it amusing when people pull over to block you from passing at traffic lights all it does is increase the chances of me "accidentally" scuffing their car!

dmiller
    Free Member

He also pulls over to block cyclists to stop them going past him in traffic "for the fun of it".

This is why I like the toe studs on my shoes… 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, kicking cars just makes people hate cyclists all the more. Wipes out all my good work doing nice stuff. Thanks guys.

karnali
    Free Member

would handle bars with no plastic ends in them and the grips pushed just a mm or not be an effective way of discouraging this type of driving just alittle loss of balance and handle bar into the door 😉

uplink
    Free Member

23 seconds is quite a long time with lights

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

A red, 3 door "P" reg, Fiesta James? He joins the A6 at The Blossoms (Bramhall Lane – I think) and turns right off the A6 at School Lane, Heaton Chapel.
    That's why I thought it might be worthy of a ban, Ralph? He said he remembers the flash but didn't think much of it? Idiot!
    He's the office lovable Geordie. 23 years old, living away from his mummy, adopted by everybody…except me. I can't stand the jerk.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Isn't 23 seconds almost back to green again? 🙂

solarider
    Free Member

Agreed Molgrips. I am a keen cyclist (obviously, being on here!), but have to commute by car into Central London everyday playing dodge the cyclist. I could never condone deliberately blocking a cyclist, but the actions of some cyclists on my way to work every day do make living in harmony very difficult. I do everything possible on a bike to be understanding and not retaliate when car drivers do silly things, and try to do the same in reverse when driving. Some idiots give you no room though. I guess that's a whole different thread though and not such a shock that there are idiots on bikes, idiots in cars, idiots in buses etc. Thats life.

In answer to the OP, this guy deserves a ban. The fact that he is clearly an arse does nothing to make his actions any worse. 23 seconds is almost an entire phase of the lights. Had anything been crossing, he would have been in far more trouble. He should think himself lucky.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

^that

should have been fined for going through a red 10 seconds before it went green rather than 23 sec after it went red

sounds like an arse. tell him that if he says he didn't see the red light then he'll get off. Probably he won't fall for it but worth a try (saying you didn't see the light was red is an admission of driving without due care)

I expect some points and a fine, as said, but if he views it as some sort of occupational hazard then likely he'll top out his points and be looking at a ban before long

chakaping
    Free Member

Hopefully he'll find it even more fun when he's cycling to work if he does get a ban.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

He deserves a ban, and then the bit about calling to demand a course instead means he deserves double the ban. Doesn't sound like he thinks there should be any consequences to his actions, just the sort of person nobody needs on the roads.

monksie
    Free Member

I've been a bit of a cock as well though. His girlfriend has got hold of a couple of bikes so they can go for a bike ride on bank holiday Monday. She has a helmet but he doesn't so he's asked to borrow one of mine.
    I've told him I don't have one that will fit him. This may mean he doesn't go for his bike ride. This bothers me more than it probably should but the bottom line is, I really don't like the guy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Isn't this where you open his passenger door (and make sure you can get away)?

Pierre

AFAIK a driver awareness course is only offered to a small portion of people deemed to have "only just" broken the law; I think it's 32-36mph in a 30 zone, or thereabouts, for example. It's based on the assumption that they broke they law mainly because they weren't really concentrating on driving.

Ignoring a red traffic light and driving on through 23 seconds after it's changed is not a minor infringement, it's the action of a complete fool. If he doesn't get banned this time, it sounds like he's likely to in the future…

As for the helmet thing, tell him you can pick them up for about £20 in supermarkets or Halfords. If it's got the CE mark, it will be safe. Doesn't sound like you owe him any favours.

: P

spacemonkey

Another reason to introduce culling.

thomthumb
    Free Member

wouldn't lend anyone my helmet. (ooh er) they're fragile and i wouldn't trust anyone with it. end of.

xc-steve
    Free Member

genius!

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Sounds like a candidate for a Darwin Award not an Awareness course …..

crazy-legs

Hmm, kicking cars just makes people hate cyclists all the more. Wipes out all my good work doing nice stuff.

All my work too as I'm generally the most considerate person on the roads by quite a margin. I had no choice but to unclip as a counterbalance for the violent swerve he forced me into, it's just a shame that my foot then connected with where he'd inconsiderately parked the front of his car! It's certainly not something I make a habit of, I never get into arguments if I can help it.

Steve – no, it wasn't a red Fiesta.

Woody
    Free Member

I would seriously advise him that helmets are only for gay losers and would point him in the direction of the narrowest, rockiest DH chute with no escape route/chicken run.

Should do the trick 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

xc-steve – Member

genius!

Rear is best on a 4-door car.

jimmy

His name isn't John Graham, is it? A tool I used to work with had the same attitude and laughed quite hard at the story of a cyclist getting knocked off his bike and beaten up in Sheffield. T-W-*-T

Ti29er
    Free Member

I came very close to knocking down a child yesterday outside a parade of shops in Bushey High Street.
    Quite put the wind up me.
    As I screeched to a halt (30mph zone), the kid shat himself I think and scurried back across to the pavement, you should have seen his petrified face!

The lady in the car on his side of the road looked at me in an apologetic manner & then told me it was her fault.

I can only assume she'd stopped to let the kids across the road (15m up from a pedestrian crossing!) & had neglected to remember it was a normal 2 lane highway.
    To$$ER!

That's why mountain biking must be safer than road riding!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Just get him to say in his defence he didn't see the red light as he was texting his mate at the time

monksie
    Free Member

The Postman has delivered a summons to attend court, in person. It has been suggested to him that he could go to prison for this (he wouldn't though, would he?). He's close to tears :-}

flatfish
    Free Member

hopefully but i doubt it

dmiller
    Free Member

It has been suggested to him that he could go to prison for this (he wouldn't though, would he?)

I would hope not – thats seems a bit harsh.

I would guess his driving days might be over for a while tho… 🙂

David.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wind him up a little, tell him "It's allright, the most they'll give you is a couple of weeks, so if you get a monday hearing you'll be out again by wednesday the following week for good behaviour"

sofatester
    Free Member

The Postman has delivered a summons to attend court, in person. It has been suggested to him that he could go to prison for this (he wouldn't though, would he?). He's close to tears :-}

I knew a guy who did six months for doing 120 on a duel carriageway. So yes, he might.

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

I do hope his job doesn't require him to have a driving licence….. 🙂

wwaswas

my kids are the same when the realisation dawns that their actions have consequences beyond their control…

davidrussell
    Free Member

go to boots, buy him soap on a rope. leave it on his desk. let the anguish kick in. job done.

Junkyard
    Free Member

might make him obey the highway code and respect other road users in the future sounds like he is an accident waiting to happen. Doubt he will go down but he may need to learn to cycle.

This bloke sounds like a right tool. Shove some small potatoes up his exhaust pipes. 2 or 3 per pipe should do the trick.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘23 Seconds AFTER the Light Went To Red! Is That a Ban?’ is closed to new replies.