Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 22" effective TT, 5ft10 person. Yay or nay?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

My current effective tt is 23″, it does feel long, i definitely need shorter.

22″ too short?

1″ difference that big of a deal?

Just after peoples experiences really.

Thanks.

tinribz
    Free Member

1″ difference that big of a deal?

IME yes, adding a 1 cm to a stem if 22 is a bit short not too much of an issue though.

Ringo
    Free Member

im 5,10″ my effective top tube is 24″ and thats perfect for me 🙂

dickie
    Free Member

5’11” and my preference is 24″ eff top tube, or just short of that (600-610mm)

Rickos
    Free Member

5 foot 10 and i ride 22.5 inch on one of my bikes. Long legs and short body though.

Edit – forgot to add that i reckon 22 would be too short and you would feel it on the climbs unless you’re talking about a bmx.

_tom_
    Free Member

22 feels a bit too short for me at 5’9″. I’d be looking around 23″, although I suppose it’s nothing a longer stem won’t sort out.

granny_ring

Nay I’d say, as above 23″+ I reckon

GW
    Free Member

5’11”. 22″ TT Tardtail and 40mm stem here 😉
    DH bike is nearly an inch shorter.

depends how you ride but I’d never want longer than about a 22.5″ TT (or a 55mm stem)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Depend on how you’re riding but I’m the same height and it would feel too short for me.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I ride 85% out of the saddle.

Singletrack/light freeride and downhill.

Only in the saddle for long, boring climbs.

GW
    Free Member

if you like to pump, manual and jump any longer would be a chore IMO

climbs are no different on a shorter bike so long as you know how to weight them..

deanfbm
    Free Member

Bump for the day time.

Rickos
    Free Member

Also depends on the angles and height of your bars. Old skool bikes with steep angles and arse in the air stances had shorter top tubes than is the norm on a trail bike today.

kharim
    Free Member

Nay! This sounds way short. The only way to know for sure is to have a go and compare. If you are after an example take Ragley do some hard hitting hard tail bikes and their geometry recommendations for >5’10? is an 18” frame = an effective top tube length 23.5”. With a long top tube you will be able to have a shorter stem and enhance your aggressive side of riding.

Ewan
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and ride a 23.5 inch top tube. Any more would be too long if you like to pump the bike into the terrain. That’s with a 70mm stem. And i’m considering going shorter!

22 sounds fine to me, esp if you’re in it for the downhills.

GW
    Free Member

If you are after an example take Ragley do some hard hitting hard tail bikes and their geometry recommendations for >5’10? is an 18” frame = an effective top tube length 23.5”. With a long top tube you will be able to have a shorter stem and enhance your aggressive side of riding.

what a **** mug! 🙄

0pt1cal
    Free Member

23 inch top tube and 50 mm stem…5ft 11 and perfect for me

kharim
    Free Member

I don’t really get what point you are trying to make by saying ‘what a **** mug’ as it lacks specificity. Would you care to clarify? I’m aware that it’s not really specific to say ‘aggressive riding’, and it’s a term that can be interpreted differently by us all. But, this is only to act as a guide! That is all. That’s probably why some refer to this type of data as a size guide.

GW
    Free Member

“Ragley says…” 😉

Dekerfer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I am 6ft 1 and ride bikes of 22.5 to 23.25″ and simply adjust the stem length to compensate (although the slight difference in tube angles also have an influence on the TT relative position of the bars and saddle). If you ride singletrack and are out of the saddle, I really doubt you will worry about it – just go with what feels right.

kharim
    Free Member

Good point. More info- reach and stackThanks

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

5’10”, 32″ inseam, my favoured sizing is 22.5″ TT and 80-90mm stem. Long stem by today’s standards and not part of the noo skool theories on set up (long TT short stem) but what I feel fits me, and I started riding when 135mm was the XC norm so 90mm is quick steering my book.

My Dialled Alpine is actually only 22″ and I’ve done 6hr XC rides on it with no pain or feeling of being cramped. Guidelines are just that, find what works for you. Do you have riding buddies with 22″ and or 22.5″ TT bikes to try out? How long is your stem now?

Jeffus
    Free Member

22.7″ with 70mm stem perfect

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘22" effective TT, 5ft10 person. Yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.