Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Aligning UK time with Europe, good thing?
  • englishbob
    Free Member

There are plans to align UK time with Europe. Personally, I’d see this as a good thing with more evening light. Never liked it being dark around 4pm.

So, good or bad?

BBC story

druidh
    Free Member

I’m 50:50 on this. What I can’t understand though, is that if it’s such a good idea, how come the Central Europeans aren’t pushing to have their time set an hour earlier too?

TheFlyingOx

But it’ll just mean darker mornings. Really don’t see the point.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Surely the rest of Europe should be aligning there time with our far superior British time.

bassspine
    Free Member

Greenwich Mean Time is the one true time

seosamh77
    Free Member

So what do this mean, getting dark at 4.30 or 2.30 in mid December, if it’s the later i’m against it, if it’s the former probably against it too. getting light at half 9 in December would be rubbish too. Leave it as is I say. Or have a different Scottish time zone.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Surely we should just have it so at 12pm the sun is at it’s highest, you know midday!

br
    Free Member

But Europe is already aligned with us, Portugal – just need to get the rest of them in line.

druidh
    Free Member

b r – Member
    But Europe is already aligned with us, Portugal – just need to get the rest of them in line.

No – Europe is currently one hour ahead. Now, given that they are also further East than us, that makes sense. But – if we go one hour ahead (to CET), then surely the same advantages apply to them and they would also be better going one hour ahead (and so on around the globe).

Surely what is required is to reset GMT so that it happens when the sun hasn’t yet reached the highest point in the sky? Then everyone can keep the time they have.

mintimperial

Not bothered, got lights.

Actually, no. Moving timezone means that there’ll be more ramblers cluttering up the trails for longer on summer evenings. The only people I see out and about at night at the moment are lunatic mountain-bikers. I recall seeing some runners with headtorches in September and October but they all seem to have given up now, the lightweights. Lets do away with British Summer Time altogether, keep it GMT all year, and make the sun set earlier so we can carry on riding empty hills in the dark, only on nice dusty trails instead of muddy winter ones.

hels
    Free Member

Or, we could just change our work pattern ?? Go to yearly hours ?? It’s all relative, as somebody else said on here today “time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so”

midlifecrashes

Having lived in Europe all my life, I didn’t know I was misaligned. The sun will go up and down anyway. If someone wants to get up earlier or later let them, don’t see what it’s got to do with government, but governments always want to do stuff don’t they.

votchy
    Free Member

No, its a sh1te thing to do, can’t see how a bit more light at night is going to bring billions of pounds in to the economy, the weather will always stop tourists coming here, another Great British thing (GMT) being given away to Johnny Foreigner 👿

ahwiles
    Free Member

changing the clocks will mean more daylight after work in spring and autumn.

it’s a brilliant idea, although mintimperial makes a very good point…

allthepies
    Free Member

Yes, I’m for it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m for this.

I’m at work in the morning, or travelling to work. To me, thats a waste of daylight. I can sit in an office or car just as easily in the dark as I can in the turgid half-light we currently get in the winter.

As Ahwiles says, it means more daylight after work in the spring and autumn. It’ll widen the scope of evening rides considerably, and in the peak of summer, allow a virtual ‘half-day’ ride into and past midnight.

ditch_jockey

The problem comes in mid-winter, when this proposal means that, the further north you go in the UK, the longer it stays dark in the morning.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Shorten the length of time we are on GMT.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Absolutely. The Europeans are so much better at sunlight than we are.

Scotland can have their own time zone if they want.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I really don’t see the point. Wasn’t this tried before in the 70’s and deemed a bit of a nuisance?

I suspect people in the far North of Scotland will be less than impressed with this stupid idea.

I think one of the arguments for this idea is that it will enable people to have more time in the evenings to exercise and thus reduce obesity. Surely longer evenings will just mean more of an excuse for many to sit in a pub beer garden?

andytherocketeer

Use GMT all the year. No need for Timezones as such.
    Change the clock times that work/school/shifts start+end. Let Scotland choose different times to keep them happy, if they want.
    More or less light in the evenings is something to do with the Sun going round the Earth, and when you get up and go to bed, not where the big and little hands point on the clock.

Rio

Summer time doesn’t seem to be a problem but apparently winter is, so here’s my suggestion – move to European time in winter and BST in summer. That way we get the best of both worlds and [rant] I DON’T HAVE TO CHANGE ALL THOSE ****** CLOCKS TWICE A YEAR!!!!! [/rant]

sadmadalan

Portugal moved to CET for a trial period – after all their closest neighbour is Spain. But they have moved back to GMT. While it does give more light in the evening, it does mean that mornings are darker for longer.

This seems to be a mainly London centric request and as such seems to have been driven by the chattering class – who want to have longer light in the evenings to sit outside and drink!

I have never understood the whole road safety aspect. Surely we need light in the morning since we have school kids and the morning rush hour all trying to use the roads at the same time. In the evenings the school kids are generally at home (or rather have left school) by the time the rush hour starts. But what do I know!

Some people do a proper days work and go to work in the dark and come home in the dark so meh

convert

I see it as our inflexibility, not a problem with the clocks. The sun will still go up and down at the same “point in time” – the only issue is what we call that “time”. If we were prepared to adjust our routines to work with the available light there would be no need to adjust clocks. The big problem with darkness in the morning and resulting commuting snags is our (collective) desire to all start work at pretty much the same time. If we could spread our start and stop times a little the world be a much smoother place.

hels
    Free Member

I agree with convert.

Schools should stagger their start and finish times, and employers should be more flexible in this respect, then not such traffic bottlenecks, time wasted and pollution created. And I can swan out at 3pm in summer to ride my bike…

ahwiles
    Free Member

case study:

i go to the pub on sunday nights for a game of scrabble, and the quiz.

i’m in bed for 11:30ish.

i need about 8 hours sleep,

so i get up at 7:30ish to go to work.

i get home at 5ish and it’s dark.

all this adaptation and staggering and flexibility and etc. that you suggest sounds very complicated, how about we just shift the clocks by an hour?

that way i can go to the pub for a game of scrabble and the quiz, i can get my 8 hours sleep, i can go to work, get home, and have enough light to go out and play with my chums.

and this idea even requires less effort than the current system, all we have to do is not fiddle with the clocks next autumn.

easy.

got to be worth a go at least?

dave360

“people in the far North of Scotland” what, all 35 of them.
    I would loove an extra hour of daylight in the evening at this time of year.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

although I think the clocks could be improved Im not totally for this change.

I think another hour forward in the summer will be too much. It can already be pretty difficult to get to sleep on the hottest/longest days in the summer. If we moved the clocks forward another hour this will exacabate this problem.

Also I do agree that its already dark enough in winter in the mornings.

I dont think theres anything wrong with our times on the 21st of december and 21st of june its just inbetween that could be better.

To be honest we only need to be at GMT for 2 months tops.

I think the clocks should go back mid November and forward mid February. But overall its impossible to get this completely right.

To maximise light but have it going dark at the right times you’d have something like this ->

November to Feb GMT
    Feb to May GMT +2
    June to July GMT+1
    August-November GMT+2

because GMT+2 will be too much in mid summer

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t get it either, in the winter I get up in the dark and come home in the dark, shifting it an hour won’t make a jot of difference to my day.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

yeah but obviously in spring and autumn it would be nice to have more light in the evening.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

1. “move to European time in winter and BST in summer” – in other words don’t set the clocks back one hour at the end of summer – CHECK
    2. Let Scotland do it’s own thing – CHECK
    3. Depressed Britons enjoying the psychological benefits of daylight after finishing work in the Spring and Autumn – CHECK

niloC
    Free Member

Why bother having GMT if we don’t use it? after all it’s the Railway that standardized time, so if London want to go forward an hour to do more business with europe then let them come in at 10!!! adjust your working hours you lazy sods, I work shifts and have to work around with child care, school ect, it would be nice to have a fixed pattern, I don’t get why people insist on doing 9 – 5 if it’s better to do 10 – 6? flexible work force anyone?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Its all very well people saying let Scotland do its own thing but I don’t think that approach could be taken. Whilst the Scots may have their own parliament and are very proud of their national identity they are still part of the UK and having what would effectively be a Scottish time zone out on its own would be a right sod to deal with, especially for businesses that operate both sides of the border.

dave360

they can share it with Ireland, Dave. I deal with Europe a lot and having the same time zone would be great.

druidh
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    if it’s such a good idea, how come the Central Europeans aren’t pushing to have their time set an hour earlier too?

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m against, I far prefer going to work in the light and coming home in the dark than vice versa. I find it really hard the month or so where I have to go to work before it even starts getting light. Putting the clocks forward would extend this.

If people want to work the same time as Europe let them work 8 – 4 rather than mess about with the time.

Flexible working practices bring other benefits as well, e.g. less congestion due to longer commuting period.

Drac

Why bother having GMT if we don’t use it? after all it’s the Railway that standardized time, so if London want to go forward an hour to do more business with europe then let them come in at 10!!!

Because it would be 11 in Europe.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’ve just seen this comment in the BBC news story

Tourism bosses say the number of overseas visitors would increase if summer evenings were lighter”

Are they still on about putting the clocks forward in the summer as well then?

Either they’re not and the changes would make no difference whatsoever, or they are and they really think that it getting dark at 11.30pm instead of 10.30pm in the summer would make a difference? Ludicrous

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t get why people insist on doing 9 – 5 if it’s better to do 10 – 6? flexible work force anyone?

Because their employer expects it?

I work in a place where people work whatever hours they like up to their allocated hours. It CAN be a PITA when you need to see someone about something urgent for a project you’re both working on and they’re not in for the next 2 days because they know they can make up the hours on another day/the weekend.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Aligning UK time with Europe, good thing?’ is closed to new replies.