• This topic has 35 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 2018 XTR speculation
  • edd

It’s the Sea Otter Classic this weekend and the current generation of XTR will be three years old, this means we might expect to see the first pictures of the 2018 XTR. What are people expecting?

As a starter I think the following:

1) Shimano are likely to contine pushing Di2, possibly meaning there is no cable option.

2) Major revision of brake design – the latest Shimano brakes are less popular with reviewers than the SRAM offerings so I think Shimano will address this.

3) 12 speed is probably enevitable.

4) Possibly (hopefully) a splined chainring interface for the cranks.

5lab

didn’t they already do #4 back in 1999 with the FC-M952? First thing I did was buy a 4-arm middleburn adapter for them..

Onzadog
    Free Member

12 speed chainset and single rear cog for for stronger wheels, New hub standard and mass centralisation.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Integrated crank based power meter like Dura Ace and that’s about it.

They won’t go 12 speed as XTR is all about the syncro shifting on the Di2 double

edd

5lab – yep, you’re correct. I guess that I was referring to recent generations, certainly since 1x* has become ubiquitous, which have had bolted chainrings.

jimdubleyou

My main interest is how much cheaper will current XTR Di2 be when the new stuff comes out?

edd

They won’t go 12 speed as XTR is all about the syncro shifting on the Di2 double

Not sure about this, agree with your point but even Shimano must recognise that 1x* is here to stay and 12 speed gives a greater gear range.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Heavier than SRAM
    Less range than SRAM

dirtyrider
    Free Member

considering the Dura-Ace power meter is only just landing, i don’t think there will be a MTB option this time around

12 speed is a no brainer, will still work with synchro-shift

a cassette thats heavier than SRAM’s

some sort of new MTB junction box – you wouldn’t want the Road barred one on the edge of your bars

poorly executed Pro integrated stem (locking collar is cheese) – bars & post were alright

mboy
    Free Member

1) Shimano will keep a cable option. If nothing else, cable operated XTR serves for trickle down technology to XT/SLX/Deore in the future. They still persist with mechanical Dura Ace even though most roadies have bought into Di2 and will buy Ultegra Di2 at the same price point.

2) Agreed. Shimano need to bring back some consistency and reliability to their range of brakes. A bit more modulation wouldn’t go amiss either.

3) Shimano will stay away from 12spd indefinitely. They don’t like playing SRAM at their own game, and Shimano will likely persist with their (to be fair, highly refined) front derailleur options for as long as possible. Worldwide, the U.K. and the US markets are still considered quite unique in their love of 1x drivetrains, and Shimano more than any other company in the bike trade, like to play it safe.

4) The biggest reason for that was to allow 1x setups to use smaller than 30T chainrings. But most people now don’t go below 30T as the cassettes have got bigger! With a 4 bolt setup you can change the chainring in the field, with just a 5mm Allen key, without removing the crank. I’m not sure Shimano are fussed either way, though it does seem mildly odd they’ve doggedly stuck to splined interfaces for brake rotors, but not considered it for spider/chainring mount (not since XTR was still 8spd). Time will tell I suppose, but the redesign of the 4bolt chainring pattern was I imagine all that Shimano are going to offer here for some time.

As steve_b77 says crank based powermeters will become an option soon enough too.

mboy
    Free Member

My main interest is how much cheaper will current XTR Di2 be when the new stuff comes out?

Go for XT… It’s already got more features than XTR, is only slightly heavier, is a lot cheaper, and with the synchro-shift function you only need to buy it with one shifter anyway!

steve_b77
    Free Member

edd – Member
    Not sure about this, agree with your point but even Shimano must recognise that 1x* is here to stay and 12 speed gives a greater gear range.

However on the continent doubles are still massively popular and for XC / marathon, probably outnumbering singles considerably and considering the size of the market I reckon they’ll stay focused on this.

There’s no doubt 1x is here to stay, but XTR M9000 only has a 11-40 cassette to match nicely with that 24/36, 26/36 & 28/38 double.

considering the Dura-Ace power meter is only just landing, i don’t think there will be a MTB option this time around

Emily Batty has been running what is suspected to be one since the start of the year

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With a 4 bolt setup you can change the chainring in the field, with just a 5mm Allen key, without removing the crank

I love the idea of somebody whipping out a new chainring half way round a ride 😉
    For the comparison it’s an 8mm and a T25 for the direct mounts and done in no time as removing and fitting a crank is simple and idiot proof.

Northwind

I predict more half-assed second-rate 1x for the OE market, and more di2 for whoever it is that wants that.

philjunior
    Free Member

No to 12s.

I reckon they’ll go for integrating dropper posts, suspension lockout etc. with the Di2 controls, if there are any big changes.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m more interested in seeing whether or not SRAM will bring out 12 speed for road/cx bikes.
    I’ve been running a 1x set up on the road bike with a 50t ring on the front but the gaps in the current 10/42 cassette can be a bit of a pain sometimes so the same 10/42 range but with closer ratios would be awesome.

jabbi
    Free Member

Shimano work on a four year cycle, so no Xtr til next year, Saint/Zee are about due an upgrade though, wouldn’t be suprised if we see that this week.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shimano will stay away from 12spd indefinitely. They don’t like playing SRAM at their own game, and Shimano will likely persist with their (to be fair, highly refined) front derailleur options for as long as possible. Worldwide, the U.K. and the US markets are still considered quite unique in their love of 1x drivetrains, and Shimano more than any other company in the bike trade, like to play it safe.

Given it’s price point I don’t imagine many people buy XTR without giving it some serious consideration, and 1x seems to win. I wouldn’t be surprised iff they drop XTR 2x and it becomes an option on SLX or spun off like the XT trecking range.

There hardly seem any new 2x bikes coming out now because it needs accommodating in the suspension design. 2x has become the pain in the designers arse awkward ‘standard’ to accommodate.

I bet we either get a cassette to compete properly with SRAM (either 11 or 12s), or the return of yumeya as an XTR+1.

vincienup
    Free Member

Admitting they’re wrong, standardising on XD free hub and implementing wireless 12speed with more reliable brakes would be the best outcome for everyone but on current showing unlikely.

In my view Shimano have fumbled 1x and 11sp so hard that they seem to have given up on competing at regular mtb’s and be positioning themselves for ebikes as a major event.

thomthumb
    Free Member

standardising on XD free hub

they’ll never do that.

Return of the capreo freehub? 9t sprockets? 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

Meh. Until they bring out wide range cassettes that don’t weigh as much as a boat anchor, shimano are off my Christmas card list.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Enduro specific jockey wheels.

swanny853

What would I like to see?
    – A roadie cable pull wide range clutch mech (not XTR I admit)
    – A nicer 11-46 cassette?
    – The shimano take on Eagle (or some other proper 1x)

What do I expect?
    – Component integration of some sort as others have suggested.
    – Perhaps a new I-spec standard, we must be due one by now?

One thing I’m surprised they haven’t done is use one of those little roadie shift buttons to run the front mech- surely with Di2 being double only you don’t need an ‘up’ button and a ‘down’ button for the front, just a ‘shift’ button. Have a proper shifter on the right, a nice dropper remote and then a little button that meshes nicely with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

maybe somebody could point out all their cassettes look like they missed the finishing step where you take off the excess

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One thing I’m surprised they haven’t done is use one of those little roadie shift buttons to run the front mech- surely with Di2 being double only you don’t need an ‘up’ button and a ‘down’ button for the front, just a ‘shift’ button. Have a proper shifter on the right, a nice dropper remote and then a little button that meshes nicely with it.

Because when everything’s going red mid way up the big climb in an XC race you’d hit the button only to find you were accidentally small-small and have just shifted into top gear. At least with two buttons it doesn’t let you make that mistake.

jabbi
    Free Member

Who’s going to run 2x Di2 and not use Syncrho Shift? Surely that’s one of the main selling points?

@mikewsmith
    , why are you so vehemently against Shimano?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol just pointing out the flaws, it’s quite easy. Less range, heavier, harder to set up apparently to stop the chain dropping. Can’t really see the appeal. The last XT 10sp I had was very underwhelming and the XT brakes have been poor in comparison to my 6 year old hopes.
    If cheap and cheerful is what your after then maybe go for it but it seems like they are playing catch up badly – 120mm dropper anyone? Can’t remember the last bike I saw with a 2x drivetrain out the door of a shop, feels a bit like when they dropped 3×10 on people 🙂

Why do you think it’s so good?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised iff they drop XTR 2x and it becomes an option on SLX or spun off like the XT trecking range.

Not a chance given the size of the European marathon based market

Marge
    Free Member

I’m just back from the VOLCAT (3 stage MTB marathon) in Catalunya and the amount of people running Eagle was very surprising.

of course I didn’t make any stats 😉 but the frequency was clearly higher than a double front.

Having said that, I really cannot imagine Shimano making it (yet).

2018 XTR will be some fine tuning, details & probably the integrated power meter.

molgrips
    Free Member

I love the idea of somebody whipping out a new chainring half way round a ride

Someone I was with bent a ring on a ride once in the middle of nowhere.. We removed it and managed to bend it back.

twisty

A silent freewheel perhaps.

swanny853

Because when everything’s going red mid way up the big climb in an XC race you’d hit the button only to find you were accidentally small-small and have just shifted into top gear. At least with two buttons it doesn’t let you make that mistake.

Who’s going to run 2x Di2 and not use Syncrho Shift? Surely that’s one of the main selling points?

Aye, I nearly mentioned that. It doesn’t have to be THE way, just an option. Some might choose a readily available dropper lever (even for XC racing) and a single manual shift button over a normal shifter and an awkward dropper. Me, I’d take 1x and a dropper myself, but I only really do one race a year these days so probably not ‘in’ with XC trends!

swanny853

Ooh, yes, that patent that went around looked interesting.

Speeder

twisty – Member

Would be nice.

andyl
    Free Member

I like my Hope one, saves me needing a bell.

nickc

Heavier than SRAM
    Less range than SRAM

Any yet still nicer to use 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘2018 XTR speculation’ is closed to new replies.