Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Scotland speeding .. yes i know my fault
  • Cougar

Speedos err on the side of safety though, they might over read, but they’ll never under read.

Isn’t it actually illegal for it to under-read?

“we weren’t watching them we were watching you.”

“Ever go fishing?” Yeah. “Ever catch all the fish?”

Cougar

I drive a handful of 1-2 year old cars through work.

All read 10% or so over GPS.

Every car I’ve had in the last, oh, 15 years or so I’ve tested against a GPS. Every single one has over-read by around 10%. (Off the top of my head: Vectra, two Passats, Mondeo, Hyundai i40, probably others I’ve forgotten.) Currently in a 1-Series, haven’t tested that one yet.

100mph
    Free Member

If you want to play the % game, then there’s a way to get off this and I know it’s correct as I have done it 😉

In Scotland they have a precedent that you only need to admit guilt under caution. When you get the NIP, fill in the details but DO NOT SIGN IT. This is where Scotland differs from England as not signing is a prosecutable offence in England, whereas in Scotland, signing it is an admission of guilt and you don’t have to do that if you are not under caution.

They will send another NIP back to you saying that you haven’t signed it, do the same again and every time they send it back to you. What they need to do is send the NIP to your local police station and ask for them to call on you and caution you and you then have to sign the NIP in front of them.

From the 1st receipt of NIP they have 6 months to call on you before it times out, most of the time the local bobbies are too busy to do this so ignore it 😉

stevedoc
    Free Member

Well no news is good news that’s 11 days since the *alleged* speeding incident I know they have 14days but as everything is digital I thought I would have heard something by now

100mph
    Free Member

I know the ‘safety’ camera people have a different agenda, but I once got stopped and given a talking to by motorway cops and they told me to set cruise to 80mph and they won’t bother with you.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Just managed to speak to Mobile safety camera unit for D+G ….

No pending fines or prosecutions on my reg … Lucky SOB note to self M74 cruise set at 70 mph

tpbiker
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say I am disgusted by the op and his blatent disregard for the law 😉

On a more serious note it is very tempting to give it the beans on that road, 3 lanes, dead straight, usually quite quiet.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I fought the law and law turned a blind eye a win for common sense …

lucky lucky boy /fool

Trekster

I got caught in the same area last year at 74 mph. Speedo was reading around 80 but I lifted off when I saw the van. The Scottish police are dead keen on catching speeders and there is no speed awareness course option.

They also have competitions to see which patrol catch the most BMW, Merc and Range Rover drivers 😉
    Targets is now what it’s all about since the creation of P.Sco…..

andy4d

A few weeks ago a speed camera got me for going 6mph over the 60mph limit. Buggers.

tjagain

And the cops ( or is it an urbanmyth) play speeder snooker – a red car then a black then a red………… etc

~So from that a yellow car might be best

scotroutes

An indicated 70-72 then?

leffeboy

And the cops ( or is it an urbanmyth) play speeder snooker

oh please let that be true

maxtorque

legend
    Just here to chuckle at it being easy to accidentally hit 99

It rather depends on what you drive. My boggo diesel estate will sit rather peacefully, quietly, and in total comfort at 130mph in Germany, with another 30 odd mph left to go (before the electronic limiter cuts in)

The 70mph limit was set (fairly arbitrarily) when we drove round in cars like this:

where 99mph felt and sounded like warp9, you’d have to scream at the top of your voice to be heard, and the brakes would have overheated before you’d ever managed to get stopped, probably facing backwards.

I would far, far, far rather people drove paying proper attention and driving safely at an APPROPRIATE speed, than get all hung up about the specific speed they were travelling at……..

scotroutes

If you can’t tell the difference between 70 an 99mph without an instrument in front of you then you simply shouldn’t be on the public roads. Inattention is probably the worst excuse of all.

sbob
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

An indicated 70-72 then?

Anywhere between 66 and 78.85mph, if you want to be a smartarse. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

where 99mph felt and sounded like warp9, you’d have to scream at the top of your voice to be heard, and the brakes would have overheated before you’d ever managed to get stopped, probably facing backwards.

I would far, far, far rather people drove paying proper attention and driving safely at an APPROPRIATE speed, than get all hung up about the specific speed they were travelling at……..
    Unfortunatly the interface between the seat and the pedals hasn’t been upgraded at all in that time.

stevied
    Free Member

And the cops ( or is it an urbanmyth) play speeder snooker – a red car then a black then a red………… etc

~So from that a yellow car might be best

Or a grey car might be even better, no? 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

In February we were heading up to Edinburgh and going past the Ecclefechan/Locherbie area on the M74 at a steady 70mph when a car shot past in the outside lane, followed a few seconds later by a fully marked police patrol car. It took the driver of the first car a good while before he noticed the cop behind and pulled over, at which point the blue lights go on and both cars pull over to the inside lane. It was the driver’s lucky day as the cop must have been on his way to an incident as the lights went off and the cop sped away.

Quite how you manage to drive for several miles along a fairly empty motorway without noticing a police car has been following you for several miles is perhaps just as worrying as the speeding itself.

A few years ago I went on a speed awareness course (so I’m definitely not holier than thou) and one tip was to open the windows due to modern cars being so quiet inside that you don’t get the same sensation of speed in them as in older cars. The 70mph speed limit was also discussed – modern cars have far better brakes but there’s so much distraction in modern cars that this has taken up the slack as it were so the stopping distances in the Highway Code have remained the same. Basically to use a very old joke: “What’s the most dangerous part of a car? The nut that holds the steering wheel”

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve front and rear cameras on my car and if I play the clips back, they are about 27 mph on the GPS video when it’s indicated 30 on the speedo.

Quite how you manage to drive for several miles along a fairly empty motorway without noticing a police car has been following you for several miles is perhaps just as worrying as the speeding itself.

This

Our local plod are proud of posting up on Twitter how fast they have caught people going. I am not condoning speeding for one second, but how much attention are these motorists paying when they can’t even realise another car is behind them at 130 mph + which the police dealt with the other day.

Even if it’s unmarked, are they not thinking ” whys he behind me ? ” coz they are not looking

convert

The 70mph speed limit was also discussed – modern cars have far better brakes but there’s so much distraction in modern cars that this has taken up the slack as it were so the stopping distances in the Highway Code have remained the same.

I wonder if that’s the official line or the one your particular tutor person made up. Would seem a curious one to me. The increase in traffic certainly would seem a reason – it’s really hard to maintain a safe distance between you and the car you are following without someone jumping into it plus the extra danger of busy roads at motorway junctions. You could even use environmental reasons to keep a lid on speeds. But distraction in the car? So many more cars have steering wheel mounted audio controls, we are no longer pulling cassettes out every half an hour and fishing for new ones and I can’t have been the only driver in the 80s and 90s with a road atlas on his lap trying to work my route out. Better than it was- no. Worse…not so sure.

I can’t find it now but was reading something the other day about high levels of ambient noise using up levels of your mental capacity. Whilst quiet cars cocoon the driving into feelings of unrealistic safety they do also improve the ability to concentrate on the job in hand.

Overall I think I’d be in favour of upping the motorway limits by 10mph (or variable limits that go higher than the current 70 but reduce when the roads are rammed or conditions tricky) and reducing the urban ones to 20.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Overall I think I’d be in favour of upping the motorway limits by 10mph (or variable limits that go higher than the current 70 but reduce when the roads are rammed or conditions tricky) and reducing the urban ones to 20.

This.

comfyman
    Free Member

Lucky SOB note to self M74 cruise set at 70 mph

75 works for me on the M74

wallop

130kph in France, dropping to 110 if it’s raining – much nicer.

milky1980
    Free Member

I am not condoning speeding for one second, but how much attention are these motorists paying when they can’t even realise another car is behind them at 130 mph + which the police dealt with the other day.

Even if it’s unmarked, are they not thinking ” whys he behind me ? ” coz they are not looking.

They presume they are the fastest thing on the road so don’t need to look behind them. Have a mate who drives like this, never ride with him if we’re going somewhere. It really winds him up when I stick to the speed limits religiously 😀

stevedoc
    Free Member

On the way up i did pass the black A5 on the hardshoulder he had caught his catch for the day but SAFETY VANS .. more like cash cows

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Scotland speeding .. yes i know my fault’ is closed to new replies.