• This topic has 503 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by matts.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 504 total)
  • 2017 TT'ing thread
  • bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Good advice Jamz re position. Its my first season on a full on TT bike (used my roadbike with clip ons last year) and I’m slowly getting there. I’m finding that there’s a tipping point when it comes to aero v power. It’s all very well being slippery as an eel but if you can’t put the power out you maybe slower. Likewise other way is the same. A clubmate of mine is a prime example of this. He regularly puts out over 400w for a 10 (no joke, the guy is a monster) but although faster than me he admits himself he should be putting out faster times so maybe have to forgoe some of that immense power for a more aero position.
    Bit off topic but I’m thinking of getting a nopinz pocket retrofitted to my Bioracer suit. Noticed there’s two options available, a internal pocket that you put your number in from the inside and an external one. What’s the general feeling on what to go for ?

verses

I’m coming late to this thread.

I’m riding the Ipswich and District Cycling Association TTs. They had a couple of 5mile warm-up rounds and on Tues we had the 2nd of the 10s.

I was fairly pleased with my times in 2015 (road bike with tribars) although it’s fair to say I was never near the top of the time sheet, however I broke my neck at the end of the year and spent most of last year recovering. In fact I’ve only been feeling comfortable in a roady position since late Feb this year, and I’m having to ride without the tribars as that position still hurts.

It’s fair to say I’ve lost a lot of pace… 🙂

My main aim is to use the TTs as a way of rebuilding strength and confidence, hopefully seeing my performance improve through the season, although I’ve no aspirations of being as quick as I was… For the time being, at least.

matts
    Free Member

however I broke my neck at the end of the year and spent most of last year recovering.

Christ. That’s nasty. Glad you’re on the mend.

A clubmate of mine is a prime example of this. He regularly puts out over 400w for a 10 (no joke, the guy is a monster)

I know how you feel. One of my clubmates was smashing over 400 for our club 10s last year. I was 2nd overall on scratch for 4 counters, but he was putting nearly a minute into me some weeks. 😥 He reckons his training is on target for 440 this year. 😯 He is 6’7 though.

What’s the general feeling on what to go for ?

Go for the internal one unless you think you’re really going to have a problem getting the number in. If you’re happy taking off the top of your skinsuit when you’re standing around in a layby, you should be able to slip the number in yourself. If you can’t do that, then you may find your fellow competitors are a little less likely to help rummage around the inside of your.clothing than they are to help pin on the outside. 😆

Kryton57

DT78 – Member
    So picked up boardman and on the turbo Couple of questions.

Not used bar end shifters before. Is the rear shifter normally very stiff? This is like 2 finger stiff. I was expecting minimum effort to maintain position

You can loosen – not leave loose though – the small bolt on the side of the gear lever at the end of the bar which makes it a little easier. But mines the same.

Jamz
    Free Member

Bit off topic but I’m thinking of getting a nopinz pocket retrofitted to my Bioracer suit. Noticed there’s two options available, a internal pocket that you put your number in from the inside and an external one. What’s the general feeling on what to go for ?

I would say external – so much easier to get the number in (well, easier to get someone else to do it). If you’re regularly riding out to club events then that will make life simpler. You can get a number into an internal pocket whilst still wearing the suit, but it is certainly not easy, and you need to be flexible. Of course you can ask someone else to do it, so long as they’re comfortable with ferreting around near your sweaty bum crack…

My main aim is to use the TTs as a way of rebuilding strength and confidence, hopefully seeing my performance improve through the season, although I’ve no aspirations of being as quick as I was… For the time being, at least.

Sounds bloody awful mate, I wish you all the best for the coming season. The good thing is you will have the satisfaction of seeing your PB plummet as you get fitter over the months ahead 😀

TiRed

What’s the general feeling on what to go for

I’d agree with external. Mine is internal and I can’t put the number into the pocket easily whilst wearing the skinsuit. That makes sign-on a change-in-the-toilet affair. I won’t be asking anyone else too either!

Oven liners arrived today, already marked out and cut to shape with a pair of scissors. I have to say that the teflon material looks ideal for a disc cover, not too stiff, cut well, easy to form. Just need to cut the holes for the hub and tape to the wheel. I won’t bother removing wedge as it is already thin, unlike ABS. Could be £18 well-spent.

matts
    Free Member

Sounds good.

I wonder if your powerpod is accurate/consistent enough to do some Chung testing and see if you can detect a drop in cda.

Kryton57

I can’t wait to see those wheel coveres next Wednesday!

About to pop out for my powerpod calibration ride…

TiRed

I can have a test at Hillingdon in the next 10-and-a-bit on Wednesday – or I could go and chase some points at the first Surrey league Vets race. Hmmm…

Believe it or not, I did manage to run the Cheung method using my Powercal power data from heart rate, but I suspect that this might not be sensitive enough to detect changes – the power profiles per lap look very persuasive though and I think Powercal is sufficient for TT efforts based on 30 second averaging. But then Heart rate does a good job too 😉

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice on the speedsuit pocket, I’ll decide which way to go over the weekend.

TiRed

Turned out OK, bit lumpy in places, despite duct taping inside, but easy valve access – can peel the join back on the NDS. 160g plus tape makes it lighter than a Hed Jet disc.

matts
    Free Member

Any chance of the ripples fouling the mech in the largest cog? Could end up a bit of a disaster.

winterfold
    Free Member

Anyone thinking of getting a speedpocket, it really isn’t hard to unzip your suit and put a number in, it’s easier than getting a number pinned on in a satisfactory way for sure

mrblobby
    Free Member

TiRed, superb bit of bodging. Is it taped to the spokes?

Anyone thinking of getting a speedpocket, it really isn’t hard to unzip your suit and put a number in,

You must be a lot more flexible than I am 😯 Pretty much impossible for me to get a number into the pocket while wearing the suit. I even find it pretty tricky to get the number in properly when not wearing the suit!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Entered a 12hr

DT78
    Free Member

12hr?!

Re skinsuits what is worth a look that isn’t silly money but would be better than a decent fitting castelli jersey and bibs

Kryton57

I have a Galibier chrono 4 skinsuit and its excellent for £70

DT78
    Free Member

Looks good value. How did it size up? 5 11 at 75-78kg I should probably be looking at the large?

Kryton57

Hmm. Im 5’11 and 3/4 73kg. I have a medium which would be the right height for you. I am a bit barrel chested and do have to do some breathing manoeuvres to get the zip over the bottom of my rib cage, but once over its fine

Jamz
    Free Member

Entered a 12hr

Are you able to hold a good shrug for that distance? Does your position change compared to shorter distances?

I struggle to hold a good position for 10 miles, never mind any longer distances!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

We’ll find out! I don’t change for 100s, and I’m not really doing any specific training for this so just going to see what happens.

winterfold
    Free Member

You must be a lot more flexible than I am Pretty much impossible for me to get a number into the pocket while wearing the suit. I even find it pretty tricky to get the number in properly when not wearing the suit!

mrblobby

(Swiss Toni voice) You dont need to twist to put it in , just put it the right way round, fold it a little, then slot it in, then unfold it and then there is a bit of faff getting it neat in the corners. new stiff ones are easy to slot, old floppy ones get in the corners better.

If you’re finding it hard to get in, maybe think about making the slot wider?

the need to be flexible is a distraction – you just need to be not cack-handed 🙂

twisty

Help! Can anybody tell me if Vision TriMax Ultimate aerobars are UCI legal or not?

I want to try my first time trial race next week and don’t want to be disqualified before I even begin! Rules for Triathlon are much simpler.

I’ve tried to read the UCI rules before and find them rather baffling. I remember something about the extension bars requiring a regular shape profile whereas my extensions are an irregular shape.

Picture here

Another picture here

matts
    Free Member

ECCA Festival 7k this morning. We’re often away over the bank holiday weekend so I’m mostly reading reports of this event and wishing I could give it a try. Finally got my chance this year, so I was a bit miffed to end up with a rotten cold all week. Typical.

Was targeting an average of 390W, so was very disappointed with only hitting 360. Averaged 390 dead for the first 3:20, but then I caught my minute who unfortunately had a car behind him. As it was a single-track road I was trapped. Nightmare. After 10s I gave up, did what was probably stupid, and sprinted round them on the verge. That completely threw my concentration, and I didn’t ride the next few minutes nearly hard enough. Managed to pick it up for the last 3, but the damage was already done.

Clocked a 9:44 for 2nd place. 1st was a 28. Could really do with a proper TT bike.

simondbarnes

After 10s I gave up, did what was probably stupid, and sprinted round them on the verge

Hopefully an organiser will spot this and DQ you.

matts
    Free Member

@twisty. CTT regs are much more lax than UCI. You can pretty much ride what you like.

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/11

matts
    Free Member

Hopefully an organiser will spot this and DQ you.

Maybe “in the gutter” would be a better term. I was on the road, overtaking on the rhs.

simondbarnes

Maybe “in the gutter” would be a better term. I was on the road, overtaking on the rhs.

Ah, I read it as passed them on the lhs. Still not the best idea but you already know that 🙂

twisty

Thanks Matts, however I am currently in Singapore and this essentially THE only annual time trial race they have and I am pretty sure they apply the UCI rules quite strictly (they even award UCI points to local Singaporean racers) so I am having to make sure my saddle is 5cm behind the BB etc, but I am worried about the conformity of these bars – is there an idiots guide to the UCI rules somewhere on the WEB?

matts
    Free Member

The base-bar is legal. I’m not 100% sure about the one-piece extensions and arm rests.

DT78
    Free Member

Had my first go at trainerroad holding the new TT position. Feels super comfy stationary, but really hard work actually moving.

Think I need sometime to sort…. how do you get your back flat? If I roll my shoulders / tuck my head it seems to result in an arched back.

TiRed

how do you get your back flat?

Mine comes from a rotation about the BB and a short saddle (Fizik Ares). Effective seat tube angle is more like 76 degrees rather than 73. The saddle is 5 cm further forward and half a cm lower than my normal 74 cm, to avoid over-extending my glutes after a nasty post 25! I’ve been told my back is nice and flat, which was surprising, as I’m really not flexible.

Head tuck is not my forte, but I focus on staring at my eyebrows and over my glasses (luckily I’m +5 not -5). A separated shoulder means that one side is more aero than the other – I just don’t recommend such a dramatic body modification 😆

matts
    Free Member

how do you get your back flat? If I roll my shoulders / tuck my head it seems to result in an arched back.

How low is your head compared to your pelvis? Also, depending on your overall position, an arched back may not be a problem. Look at Tom Dumoulin’s position, for example.

Not everyone is going to look like this…

matts
    Free Member

The base-bar is legal. I’m not 100% sure about the one-piece extensions and arm rests.

Having a think about this, Wiggins had that 3d-printed bar made for the hour record. The extensions were very similar to your bar, so I’m guessing that they should be legal.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm I’m pretty flexible and can easily touch my toes / put back of my hands on the floor, so I should be able to get flat. My saddle is currently much further forward and slightly higher than usual position. Using an ism race so rotating as much as I can. Wondering if when I actually pedal I shift the weight back into a more normal position hence the discomfort

winterfold
    Free Member

Flat back is a distraction, don’t worry about it, narrow shoulders far more important

TiRed

Wet, cold and windy Westerley 10.3 tonight with Kryton. Went off quite fast up the slope into a headwind, settled in for a 2:06 lap, and pushed on. Heart rate climbed as expected to zone 4.1, 4.3… last lap was a 2:08 and finished equalling my PB of 23:38 and my first ever win. Given the conditions, I’m very pleased. Just need to find those 38 seconds on a nice still warm evening.

Disc wheel cover ran flawlessly. Powerpod read low, but I did change my position on the bars, so I will recalibrate.

twisty

Having a think about this, Wiggins had that 3d-printed bar made for the hour record. The extensions were very similar to your bar, so I’m guessing that they should be legal.

Thanks, I might try and read the UCI rules again, just to be sure.

Hmmm I’m pretty flexible and can easily touch my toes / put back of my hands on the floor, so I should be able to get flat. My saddle is currently much further forward and slightly higher than usual position. Using an ism race so rotating as much as I can. Wondering if when I actually pedal I shift the weight back into a more normal position hence the discomfort

It might be due to your pelvic rotation, if you keep your pelvis more upright then it curves the lower back and the rest of the back tends to follow, whereas if you rotate your pelvis and smoosh your nads into your saddle (as recommended by Cobb) then I think this helps to get a flatter back.

TiRed

UCI regulations require bars (and extensions by implication) to be less than 3:1. They also require that the height difference from elbow pads to tip of the shifter in the most upright position be less than 10 cm. They say nothing about horizontal alignment. I think you will be fine.

Regulations are here : http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/51/61/ClarificationGuideoftheUCITechnicalRegulation-2017.01.01-ENG_English.pdf

Wiggins fails the CTT 3cm rule in that photo. He’d be DQ’d on the road – well having no brakes might also be an issue 😉

Also of interest, they remove the 3:1 ratio rule for frames and forks. Sadly there is a minimum dimension clause of 1 cm, and my steel Columbus Air forks, whilst absolutely beautiful, don’t appear to meet that threshold 🙁

crosshair
    Free Member

Great ride TiRed! Well done you!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2017 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.