Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • 2016 Which lights!
  • benp1

@fifeandy – I had the U2 mini. Great light, easy to replace batteries (so can easily carry a spare). Quite floody for a torch style light, high low and strobe

Used it on the road for a bit but it’s potentially too floody for that. Also used it on light off road stuff too

Upgraded lights all round meant that it was a backup that wasn’t needed so sold it on.

If you’re looking for a cheap light then I’d recommend it, easy to remove from the mount too (i.e. so you can leave your bike)

trickydisco
    Free Member

My lumenator is still going strong in its third(?) year.

Anyone know what the lumen output is for the lumennator?

Doesn’t seem to say on their page

onandon
    Free Member

Any feedback on the gloworm CX would be appreciated

jam-bo

been posted. should be here tomorrow…

jmatlock
    Free Member

My main gripe about all the external battery pack lights is the ludicrous amount of cable from head unit to battery!

Battery on top tube, light on bars I reckon I need 6 inches max, yet they give me 6 foot and no neat way of shortening it.

What do you guys do with all that cable?

kerbdog
    Free Member

The extra cable comes into play if you are helmet mounting the light allowing you to store the battery in a back pack or waist pack. The lights i have used an extension cable as opposed to a continuous one. A velcro strap or cable tie should take care of the excess.

benp1

Looped and attached to the top of the velcro lid. Easy

Cable ties would work no?

jmatlock
    Free Member

Just looks so……. Messy.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I can really see the appeal in an all in one unit like an exposure. But the jump in price from a Lumenator to a Maxx D is huge. Do I hate wires THAT much…….?

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

@ on and on, mine arrives Thursday, seems a lot of light/features for £99

This will be my first all in one light, quite looking forward to not having a wire.

fatbobb
    Free Member

I bought a light from Torchy in the sale last year. I’ve fallen off, dropped it in puddles, bashed it against gates and it refuses to die. It’s stronger than my bike, I think. Never had it fail on me and I always forget to fully charge it.

jmatlock
    Free Member

@Merchant;

Where have you ordered your CX Trail from? That’s about £35 less than I can find it for/

Cheers

James

oink1
    Free Member

I recently bought the Torchy BK 7even but with dialysis etc I haven’t had the inclination to go out at night yet! Rest assured I will report in due course! 😆 What I can say is that the build quality is fantastic and its chuffing bright!

From Torchys website

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Ive ordered the cx urban

dh
    Free Member

Somebody needs to hurry up and buy that alpkit hardon and let us know if its any good. Need to be pretty impressive to justify £100 (that’s about 8 solarstorm 2s)… 😉

alpkit

jmatlock
    Free Member

Those Alpkit lights look awful aesthetically. Like Fisher Price lights.

jam-bo

gloworm cx trail has arrived and charging up.

impressed with the build and quality and seeing as its 400lm brighter than my x1 it should be awesome.

and no leads.

onandon
    Free Member

So it’s a hadron not a hardon as dh said 🙂
    Is their had torch called a strapon?

jmatlock
    Free Member

Jambo, Where did you order your CX Trail from?

Whats the output?

onandon
    Free Member

Jam bo.
    Any info appreciated as there is very little online about this light. It’s either this or the strada and over the double the cost. That’s a lot of money if this wee lad will do the job.
    Love the fact you can charge from it too.

jam-bo

via ebay but it came from don at kustom cycles. £135 posted.

claimed output is 1400lm edit: 1300lm for 2.5hrs which is about as much as I ride at night. In previous tests gloworm have understated their output so I tend to believe them.

what is nice, is the internal battery is really easy to swap (its shipped with it in the wrong way round to prevent discharge) so if they sell the batteries as spares it would be dead easy to carry a 2nd.

comes fitted with with a garmin quarter turn mount, but I bought it for the garmin mount as my new montaro lid has one built in. 4 screws to swap it over.

anyone want to buy an X1?

ps. manual is online which gives a fair bit of info.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czbn2m57r4sxwab/CX%20Trail.pdf?dl=0

jam-bo

double post.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a Troutie Liberator, an MTB Batteries lumenator (or whatever it’s called, a solarstorm and an exposure joystick. Not used all at once though 🙂

First two are great, battery died on the solartstorm but I got an mtb batteries one as a replacement. I bought the joystick last year and going cable free really is great. Probably buy the exposure road light this year for commuting.

Gary_M
    Free Member

mm that gloworm CX Trail looks good for the money, I was going to buy an exposure strada 1200 but this is half the price. I wonder how the two beams compare?

onandon
    Free Member

Good job jam bo, appreciate the update.
    The programmable settings look pretty complex, however, the factory setting look about spot on.

benp1

Exposure Strada and Gloworm CX are completely different lights no??

Strada is specifically intended for the road, gloworm is not (unless you can buy special lenses for it). I thought it was more spot/flood whereas the Strada has a road optimised beam

Strada would be a VERY nice commuting light! Most folks get along with more humble offerings (my 3 commuting lights, which are all good individually but can be used at the same time as they fulfil slightly different purposes, all add up to less than the strada! – cateye volt 300, B&M core ixon, lezyne macro duo)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought it was more spot/flood whereas the Strada has a road optimised beam

Dunno looks like there are different setting for wide/wide etc. According to the instruction there’s a spare set of optics but don’t know if it’s the same as the one that’s fitted.

jam-bo

there is a spot-spot fitted, and a spot/wide in the box. I’ve swapped it to the spot/wide as that combo worked well on the X2 head unit I have.

its supposed to be an X2 with an integrated battery.

I’ve never bothered with the programmable settings on any of the gloworm units i’ve had.

the only real weakness I can see is attaching the remote would compromise the waterproofing but I’m not planning on using the remote.

Alex

I’m about to unleash the Mk-9 Maxx-D. Well I will be when it goes dark. Going to try it with the reflex setting first but reckon I’ll just end up switching between the ‘burn the trees night-sun’ and ‘take as little power as possible’ settings.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I mounted my old solarstorm battery on the bars next to the lamp.

Now, am I brave enough to start chopping and shortening the cable by about 2 ft

bearnecessities

Does anyone have recommendations for (budget) enclosed units, that don’t have the exposure price tag? (Deserved as it may be)

jam-bo

Yep. Gloworm CX trail. Awesome light…

And a really clean, stable quick setup on the built in GoPro mount on the giro montaro.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Jam Bo, are you using anything on the bars?

jam-bo

Nope. Pretty much always just used a helmet light. Works for me.

GolfChick
    Free Member

What’s the size and weight like on the glow worm cx? Looks quite a chunky unit in comparison to the exposure lid mounts

mahalo

Just ordered a mtn batteries luminator. Had the Chinese Cree jobbies for a few years but they have become too unreliable. Cut out on me up Pitch hill last winter! Was just gonna get a new battery and charger but when I weighed it up for £105 I thought may as well go for it. Already got the exposure joystick on the lid so I’m all set for the darkness!

jam-bo

Light complete with montaro mount that clips in is 240g. I need to look the garmin quarter turn mount option to see if that can work as a lower profile option. all depends if the angle is right as you’d lose the angle adjustment you get with the GoPro mount.

Alex

Well the Maxx-D was pretty awesome. Daylight basically. And I do like the gauge telling you exactly how much time you have on each setting. That and my Diablo makes night riding fantastic. No cables is the first thing you would miss, but the quality an output of the lights are really very good indeed.

Worth more than the ^^^ options up there. Probably not, but very happy with them.

jam-bo

for £500+ i’d be very disappointed if a Maxx-D/Diablo combe wasn’t bloody good.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I really like the look of the CX Trail, I really cant justify £300+ on an exposure unit. As nice as they are.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘2016 Which lights!’ is closed to new replies.