Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • 2016 Which lights!
  • medoramas
    Free Member

For a nice, powerful, cheap and reliable self-contained lights check out the Lumina series from Niterider.

I’ve got 700 on the bars and 400 on the helmet and it is perfect for late night singletracks action. Even on low setting the combo is bright enough for most tracks. Switching to “mid” on some scary bits.

dlr

Alex how wide is the spread on the maxx-d when run on the bars? It is kinda in the middle for people who want to use it alone or quite a wide flood so good with a distance/spot helmet light as well?

rascal
    Free Member

I’ve just acquired a set of Liberators – one of the last ones Troutie made – winging their way with Mr Postman.
    Upgraded LEDs mean 2500 lumens so expecting great things – had to get as they are like rocking horse shit apparently 🙂
    Spoke to Smudge at MTB Batteries quite a bit – what a nice, honest and helpful bloke!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    darrenspink
    Free Member

That cx trail looks just the job. I hate my battery pack sliding down the top tube when im going down bumpy stuff. Can’t seem to find any reviews online though.

whiter74
    Free Member

I got one of these after my Exposure six pack. Small, compact, loads of spread and spot. Great for night riding on steep , technical off piste that I ride.

https://gemini-lights.com/products/titan

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/79641/Gemini_Titan_LED_Front_Light

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/review-gemini-titan-front-light-50174/

ant77
    Free Member

mtbbatteries

Have a couple of lights from there.

Had an issue with one of them where the switch stopped working. Posted them back (well outside of a years ownership) and they arrived back a week or so later with a re-soldered join.

Battery pack well outlasts cheaper chinese jobs on the night rides I’ve done with mates.
    Save yourself a few £ and ride back down the hill in the dark?!

Have put the battery pack into one of those carrying bidons. Means no sliding around on the top tube, and there’s space in the bidon for spare tube etc.

jam-bo

neither could I but on the claim to be optically the same as the X2 I bought it on this basis. on last nights ride I’d say this to be true.

dannyh
    Free Member

rascal – Member

I’ve just acquired a set of Liberators – one of the last ones Troutie made – winging their way with Mr Postman.
    Upgraded LEDs mean 2500 lumens so expecting great things – had to get as they are like rocking horse shit apparently
    Spoke to Smudge at MTB Batteries quite a bit – what a nice, honest and helpful bloke!

Oh hell, that means you’ll need to be at the front on any Wednesday night group rides as you’ll melt anyone unlucky enough to be in front of you!

One other thing to consider for all the Exposure-love out there is that I found that very cold weather absolutely hammered the runtime, probably due to the battery being exposed to the cold airflow in a metal case rather than being in a rubber cover in a material bag.

Might just have been me, but it makes sense that this might be a problem(?)

dannyh
    Free Member

P.S. Rascal – you chose a good ride to miss last night. The main ride only lasted about twenty minutes until Andy had a fairly high speed get-off and is now in the LRI awaiting an op on a broken collarbone.

Not our best night out on trails.

brassneck

That GloWorm CX looks a lot like the CandB Seen urbany light.

darrenspink
    Free Member

neither could I but on the claim to be optically the same as the X2 I bought it on this basis. on last nights ride I’d say this to be true.

So its completely adequate by itself?

Actually speaking about battery pack-less lights, anyone got a Lezyne Deca Drive 1500 XXL Front Light?
    A bit cheaper and throws out a tiny bit more light (apparently)

rascal
    Free Member

@ dannyh

Saw that on FB – sounds nasty. What happened? Lights not good enough? 😉

jam-bo

link? can’t find that model.

I’d say its plenty enough to use on its own as a helmet light.

Alex

Alex how wide is the spread on the maxx-d when run on the bars? It is kinda in the middle for people who want to use it alone or quite a wide flood so good with a distance/spot helmet light as well?

I’ve only had one ride but it’s certainly the widest spread of a light I’ve ever had (last one was a 4 year old Lumi XPG3). It’s punchy as well – it just fills the trail with light. Which doesn’t really answer your question. It didn’t feel too ‘flood-y’ in terms of lacking definition.

Most of us who ride in the FoD have a helmet light because however wide a bar mounted light beam is, at some point it’ll be pointing in the wrong direction!

I might try one night without the helmet light to see. If I was riding in the Malverns (which is generally far less twisty) then it’d definitely be fine.

singlespeedstu

For anyone interested in any of the Gloworm lights.
    If you go to the Gloworm site and sign up as a VIP member for free you get a 10% for life discount code.

zanelad
    Free Member

Another vote for the U2 mini from Torchy boy. A very well made light, more than powerful enough for my needs.

It flopped around a bit until I tightened the screw to stop the mount pivoting, doh.

Excellent service and very quick delivery. A fair price for a quality product.

russyh
    Free Member

Alex, I broke my helmet light on Monday evening in the forest. Wasn’t even that dark and with only my bar light I had a descent sized off, on a trail I ride weekly!!! Just lost my line completely. I would say a head torch is an absolute must, especially in the FOD where I ride.

dlr

Alex thanks for the reply, interesting as I have an XPG3…last winter I used that on the bars with an ebay job on the helmet. Need more light now as my vision is poor so will get a better helmet light. I have just put a flood lens in the XPG3 as only £15 (medium as standard) to see how that goes. I like the idea of a fully contained bar light though

jmatlock
    Free Member

I have a little something special on the way from MTB Batteries…

rollodes
    Free Member

These all-in-ones are very good. Have battery life indicator screen and 1600 real lumens in a qulaity package. Made by Fenix. About £75 From here

duff
    Free Member

Cycle Surgery have 40% off lights today. I’ve just ordered a L&M Seca 1500 for £180.

jam-bo

Not so positive on the Gloworm CX, USB connector appear to have parted company with the PCB two rides in. Waiting to hear back from Gloworm.

bearnecessities

Cheers duff, just got a lumina micro 350 for £27 collected from local store. Not the brightest, but £27!

GolfChick
    Free Member

interested to read all these ‘all in one’ lights recommendations. Currently have a magic shine jobby which I’ve always been happy enough with when riding in the forest but now I’m intending once a week to cycle home from work (21 miles and hr n 3/4) so would like minimum fuss in terms of charging it during the day. I also dont intend to carry a bag, just usual water bottle in the holder and phone in my pocket so I dont want wires all over the place too. The glow worm CX looks interesting but quite a bulky unit when on the helmet.

Northwind

TBH you need to really not like cables for all-in-ones to make sense. They limit your choice, they’re generally expensive, they put more weight on your noggin and they generally make less light and have less burn time. The convenience is lovely- I have an all-in-one for my winter commute- but for mountain biking, personally it’s not even a decision. (and my commute is short so I can use a little light and run it at full burn, yours would be too long for my setup and I wouldn’t want to lose the power)

I usually ride with a pack but it’s pretty easy to do cable management for a jersey or shorts pocket.

oink1
    Free Member

Got round to an evening ride with the Torchy BK 7even
    Low mode
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/LTzSA7]IMG_1692[/url] by Paul Tarrant, on Flickr
    High mode
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/LBDT8L]IMG_1691[/url] by Paul Tarrant, on Flickr

You can’t go wrong with high for 4 hours for £79,99 imo 🙂

russyh
    Free Member

I disagree Northwind, I am fed up with cables and bulky batteries. I broke my second head unit in a week last night. Which is now forcing me to explore new lights. I have a one23 unit mounted on the bars which isn’t superb light albeit the battery is heavy. I don’t like riding with a pack for my usual short 2 hour evening blasts, and a battery in a jersey just flaps around and is uncomfortable. I would much prefer an all in one unit. Nice and clean and easy.

Alex

Yeah I’m with Russ here. The diablo just needs a bit of management. Mine is programmed to run ‘high’ and ‘low’. Turn it to high for anything technical, turn it to low for climbing. Same with the front, although the MAXX-D has the reflex technology that’s meant to adapt the lumens to the terrain. Currently have it set between ‘night sun’ and ‘still bright enough for anything but downhill’

Both will last 2.5-3h in that configuration easily. Perfect for the night rides we do. I don’t think the diablo is heavy. Having said all that they are a) expensive and b) i still carry a pack.

rockhopper70

Aldi high lumen bike lights are £27.99 in their online sale.
    Free delivery and three year warranty.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Not so positive on the Gloworm CX, USB connector appear to have parted company with the PCB two rides in. Waiting to hear back from Gloworm.

Glad I didn’t hit that buy button last night then. Keep us updated.

fifeandy
    Free Member

A bit of digging finally found fluxient’s website.
    The U2 mini is indeed run at a lower current for a claimed output of 600lm.
    http://www.fluxient.cn/products_index.asp

Kamakazie

I’ve just ordered an Ituo XP2 to use this winter.
    I’ve not had a decent set of lights before so won’t be able to compare with anything but I’ll feedback on build quality etc if anyone is interested.

chorlton
    Free Member

Anyone have a Lezyne Super Drive XXL? They look great for around £80.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Kamakazie – Member

I’ve just ordered an Ituo XP2 to use this winter.
    I’ve not had a decent set of lights before so won’t be able to compare with anything but I’ll feedback on build quality etc if anyone is interested.

Where did you get the Ituo from Kamakazie?

matt_outandabout

A Torchy Th33 race arrived at oab_towers today.
    Chunky feel, nicely made, kicks out a great spread of light at three different levels.
    Fantastic price (£40), usual Torchy speedy dispatch and nice email checking all was ok.

He is ordering some just head units – I asked as we now have two spare batteries following crashes.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Brightbikelights.com is the UK stockist of Ituo lights. They have XP2 and XP3 in stock.

oink1
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    A Torchy Th33 race arrived at oab_towers today.
    Chunky feel, nicely made, kicks out a great spread of light at three different levels.
    Fantastic price (£40), usual Torchy speedy dispatch and nice email checking all was ok.

He is ordering some just head units – I asked as we now have two spare batteries following crashes.

Jims a great guy to deal with and great lights! 😀

Kamakazie

Where did you get the Ituo from Kamakazie?

Yeah as jmatlock said, BrightBikeLights is the UK stockist and where I got it from.
    Arrived today, first impressions are very positive. Nice and compact, week built, the bike and helmet mounts both feel good and it’s very bright.
    I like the look of the beam pattern as well, good spot with a nice bit of flood. As said though, nothing very good to compare it to.

Will probably pick up something else to bar mount in the future but I’m gonna give this a go on my helmet on its own first.

Kamakazie

Oh, where are people buying Torchy’s lights? eBay ship or something as I can’t seem to work out the website!

willyboy
    Free Member

Torchy just sells via eBay. I have one of the £25 ones (xeccon cs01) as a helmet light and its brilliant for the money. Helmet mount was £4 from evans

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘2016 Which lights!’ is closed to new replies.