• This topic has 499 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb89.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 500 total)
  • 2016 TT'ing thread
  • umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I’m 24 and much prefer 50s and 100s! Speaking of which, did a 1:52 on Sunday and was pipped by my minute man who said he was on here?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Could well have been jb89, I think his time was about a minute ahead of you.

jb89
    Free Member

Speaking of which, did a 1:52 on Sunday and was pipped by my minute man who said he was on here?

Could well have been jb89, I think his time was about a minute ahead of you.

It was indeed me…ended up meeting both of you within 3 days! Nice to meet you both!

Nearly finished me off on Sunday trying to catch you!

Quite enjoyed the 50! I think I paced it Ok, looking back, my HR started to do weird things with about 7km to go, so I suspect I was on the edge! I always thought I would prefer shorter races, but maybe not. That said, I’m not sure if I quite fancy a 100…

Kryton57

Another good evening at Hillingdon for me. Tried a new technique of turning the cranks up the hill without changing gears – so a really low cadence rather than a gear change meaning I don’t need to change position just watch my watts. Then I don’t need to change again at the top of the hill – more time aero.

Anyway, aside from being chopped on the straight once, I’ve a new PB 25:47 for 10.2. (road bike with clip ons), so I’m quite chuffed.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Been an interesting and actually quite enjoyable club tt season so far. Due to back issues I sold the tt bike and skinsuit and have just been riding my road bike for this season. I’ve stuck the trispoke front wheel in a couple of times, and tried clip ons about the same. Otherwise I’ve worn oversocks when I’ve remembered and turned my cap backwards likewise. I don’t ride with a helmet normally anyhow.
    I went 16 seconds quicker with the clip ons, but other than that have been sat at mid 23s for the 10s as a road bike. In comparison to using the tt bike last year that’s about a minute/80 seconds slower. I went 22.04 on a 2up which was interesting as my partner is 4 stone lighter and a foot shorter than me, as well as being fully tt’d up whilst I flogged myself on the road bike. Looking at our hr curves after showed he got rather more recovery than I did!

Had a 25 on Tuesday and my garmin died at halfway. Just outside the hour with 1:00:36 compared to a 57:56 the year before on full tt rig. I enjoyed it this time though.

We are changing courses back to a sporting (read lumpy) course next month which will be interesting.

Kryton57

Q: is a skin suit – £135 and reported as “fragile” (Kalas) worth it for the part time TT er? I guess probably not and its just a case of besting your times with what you have?

TiRed

Well done Kryton, apologies for not being able to come last night.

And yes, that skinsuit will be the best investment per pound for speed gains. I presume it’s London Phoenix? If Kalas have the option of one with rear pockets you should take it. Before road-race specific skinsuit (thinner material on top half), everyone had to choose TT skinsuit. The option of pockets was for “endurance”.

Mine lasted about 18 months before the seams started to wear (Champion Systems).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, if it’s just for TT then have a look at the NoPinz Supersuit. Unless you really want club colours. And I’d not bother looking for one with pockets, only time you’d need them is if you used it for longer road races.

We are changing courses back to a sporting (read lumpy) course next month which will be interesting.

Is it that time of year already 🙁

premier
    Free Member

I’ve a few suits and I’d say the Kalas is very robust compared to some!! I’d get one – makes a difference, if you want it to last get a no pinz pocket stuck on so your not pinning it all the time

Kryton57

Right – so my TT career to date includes one “pinning” session ( a spoco 10) as Hillingdon TT’s use ankle gadgets. If the Kalas kit is robust, maybe I could save some cash unless i suddenly find more time for TT’s in 2017, then I could get the no pinz picket sewn in.

Seems like the best option, I’m just not sure the £125 is worth it as I’m not competing (well, except against my self).

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Definitely get a standard NoPinz suit over the Kalas.

Jamz
    Free Member

Right – so my TT career to date includes one “pinning” session ( a spoco 10) as Hillingdon TT’s use ankle gadgets. If the Kalas kit is robust, maybe I could save some cash unless i suddenly find more time for TT’s in 2017, then I could get the no pinz picket sewn in.

Seems like the best option, I’m just not sure the £125 is worth it as I’m not competing (well, except against my self).

90% of people who are riding TTs (even at open level) are competing against themselves, or against their mate, or that bloke who’s always 20 seconds faster i.e. most people arent racing for the win. A lot to them don’t bat an eyelid at spending a hundred quid on a brake calliper, never mind a skin suit!!

What I’m trying to say is, if you’re riding TTs you should really buy a skin suit 🙂

After aerobars, the next thing to buy is a skinsuit; then pointy hat, then wheels then shoe covers, then all the other little bits and bobs you might fancy.

Having said that, you don’t necessarily need to spend 100+, My first skin suit I bought off a mate for 20 quid and that did me well until I started chasing seconds instead of minutes. The main thing is that it’s a tight fit – no loose material.

Jamz
    Free Member

Finally got my TT bike to a state that I’m happy with (except the material peeling off the saddle):

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice Jamz. I’m sure I’ve seen that around, the back to front Zipp bars are pretty distinctive.

Jamz
    Free Member

I think we do frequent some of the same races. This bike was at H10/17R the other day which you rode, although I’ve only just fitted these wheels in the past week. Before that I had Zipp 808/404s with all black decals on.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Jamz – That is lush !

Jamz
    Free Member

Jamz – That is lush !

Thanks! Great bikes the BMCs are, I would wholeheartedly recommend one to anybody who is looking. This one cost £1550 in the sales at Evans last September – I dont think you’ll find a better frame at that price point.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

You need a TriRig Omega

Jamz
    Free Member

You need a TriRig Omega

Tis true, but I emptied the piggy bank out for the wheels so no upgrades for a while now 🙁

wee-al
    Free Member

Just commenting so i can easily find the thread.

I started taking it semi serious last year and did a 24:45 on my local, very
    lumpy and windy local course (Thurso). My aim this year was a 25mph/sub 24 min ten. Bizarrely i managed that feat on the 25 first! I then went 23:05 on the ten the next day.

Since then i’ve gone 22:59 on the ten and 02:04:19 on my first 50m TT. Which i probably shouldn’t have done as i came down really badly with a cold the day before. I’ve got my first 100 on Sunday.

Is it just me or as a rule do the people get weirder the longer the distance with regards to testing?

matts
    Free Member

You have to be pretty weird to want to do a 50, let alone a 100. It just gets more odd from there on up. 2 of my club mates both broke the club 50 record on the same day last weekend. One did a 1:42:00, and then another came in a few minutes later and took 3 seconds off it. The good news is I ragged both of them in the club 10. :mrgreen:

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Was due to do my first 10 tonight, been cancelled because of the wind, Hurray! Er, I mean Ohhh, noooo.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Who are you calling weird? Did my first 50 on Sunday and it wasn’t as bad as I expected. I do need to try new saddles to find one that’s a bit more comfy though!

Not a fast course or a fast day (twisty lanes and a stronger wind than I expected) so I was happy enough with 2:24 and 3rd lady, particularly as my last 10 was faster than my first 10 which was how I was trying to pace it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks bloody windy out there right now. Club 10 tonight probably…. may pop on a bigger ring for the return leg!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Shortened course for me last night (8.9miles) not one of my best rides tbh, did it in 19:30 (around 27.2mph) coming 5th. Think Sunday’s ride might of affected my performance a tad. Over ten hours in the saddle doing 168miles, with 18.5k of climbing and a strava suffer score of 694 😯

wee-al
    Free Member

hjghg5, I suffered with my saddle on the 50, everything was numb. I had a look online and found these http://www.pedal-pedal.co.uk/bicycle-saddles.html
    They have a good range, you can demo what you want then get the money back if you purchase. The guy was really helpful on the phone too. I got one of the ISM TT specific ones designed to ensure there is no pressure on sensitive areas. Rode it for 50 miles today and it was much, much better, no numbness at all. It was delivered to Thurso the next day. First time i’ve ever actually received anything the next day(it’s the little things when you live this far north).

jonba
    Free Member

not sure on actual aero gains but galibier.cc have some cheap skin suits £70 and up. Was thinking of getting one for cx.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Meh. H10/3 becoming a bit of a bogey course for me. One of those courses that just doesn’t seem to suit me and I’m slow compared to others who I regularly race against. Avg power was about the same as usual but I just seem to ride it badly. I think it’s just not getting back up to speed quickly enough after some of the slower sections of the course. Tough night too with a strong gusting headwind on the way out.

Also tore my skin suit again, this time around the pad area 🙁 It’s a Castelli BodyPaint 2, only raced it about 30 times across 2 seasons, but it’s just falling apart at the seams. Bit annoying having only just had the zip repaired. Think it’s time to get one of the NoPinz ATS.

TiRed

Rode 24:09 on the lumpy Hounslow 10 tonight. 10 seconds off my PB. Only my third TT this year. Windy too. Felt pretty good. Paced it on heart rate at zones 4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4. For each six minutes. Probably could have gone harder to be honest, but I did a 50km race last night, and Ride London, of course.

And in the best TT tradition, I think I may fettle the position with a forward seatpost, longer stem and slightly lower bars. Disc wheel has not arrived yet, but I’m not sure I’d ride it on this course.

Kryton57

not sure on actual aero gains but galibier.cc have some cheap skin suits £70 and up. Was thinking of getting one for cx.

Good spot thanks – just ordered a Chrono 4 speed suit. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

just ordered a Chrono 4 speed suit.

Just ordered the NoPinz ATS here 😳

Paced it on heart rate at zones 4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4

For a 10 I think mine works its way to max in the first 5 mins then sits there for the rest of the race!

TiRed

Start easy finish hard. I may up the zones in the next race asi had too much left. We start with an uphill, and it is very easy to go off too hard. I think I’m loosing time on the downhill section not the climbs. So 4.1, 4.3, 4.5 then all I can. Average HR was 168 so still another 20 bpm to max HR!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Start easy finish hard.

I tend to start hard and then hang on trying not to die too much! At least for 10’s.

New suit turned up today. Great service from the boys at NoPinz. Was a bit sceptical of their small size recommendation but it’s a great fit. I doubt I’ll be any faster but at least I won’t have gaping holes in my suit! Shall put it to the Reading CC open 10 later today.

Kryton57

Hopefully mine turns up today. Likewise I’ve gone for medium when my head says large.

TiRed – same for me at Hillingdon bearing in mind I’m less experienced, my first TT there was aimed at starting under FTP at 230w and increasing with the last being an all out 300+ watt effort. Now I’m happier riding at around 280w constant on the Garmin for 9 laps pushing to 300w on lap 10 and maxing out to sprinting the back straight on lap 11. Last week that produced consistent lap times with 3 seconds faster on the last and my best time.

I’ve found out a lot about myself this summer by having a go at TT – mainly that I can suffer muscular endurance pain at higher watts and longer periods than I’d given myself credit for when on the road. Just as well, I’m about to trott off and have a go at Sufferefest Local Hero in lieu of a club ride today.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shall put it to the Reading CC open 10 later today.

Well it was fine getting into the suit at home… but when a bit warm and sweaty and getting changed in the car, well it’s snug! 🙂

First ride in ages where I’ve been happy with the way I rode the course. Reading CC open on H10/1, 4th overall, 2nd vet (more cash prize!) and my first short 21 (21.18) on that course. More power than I’ve put out on a 10 for a while too. Maybe a bit of adrenaline from getting held up at a canal bridge and just making the start with 30s to spare helped!

Kryton, nice work. You definitely learn a lot from testing!

wee-al
    Free Member

Oh well, the North of Scotland 100 was cancelled this morning due to very high winds (gusting up to 50mph). I was in two minds about doing it due to my recent condition (feel i may have strayed into overtrained territory), so i should have been relieved. But felt a bit deflated tbh. Probably for the best.

Definitely the right decision by the organisers though.

matts
    Free Member

maxing out to sprinting the back straight on lap 11

If you can sprint, you went too easy. 😉

You should basically be almost unable to turn the pedals with 50m to go.

Kryton57

just ordered a Chrono 4 speed suit.

For once I think I’ve just the sizing right (medium, using the kgs guide at 73.5kg’s). Its very snug, tight on the quads & wrists and to do the zip up I have the gather the suit just under my rib cage to get it past that point and then it zips up fine – but I am barrel chested. Judging by the wrinkles in the belly area in the aero position a large would have “gathered”. l can stand up comfortably.

I think once sweaty I’ll be a struggle in the car a la MrBlobby. Thanks to GalibierCC for throwing in a free pair of socks!

Looking forward to its debut tomorrow night at the final Westerly/Hillingdon TT.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

So I only have one flat TT left in the calendar (BDCA 100) – time to start thinking about proper TTs – Hillclimbs!

Anyone else?

Got some new wheels – 1052g!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hillclimbs!

Might do a few club events. CBA with all the weight weenieing though.

Going from 100 miles to about 0.5 miles will be fun! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2016 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.