Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Elbow avulsion fracture – how long off bike ?
  • iainc

following recent thread over a wee tumble the other week, I have an avulsion fracture in my left elbow, which is currently in a soft bandage and sling, moreso due a skin graft. The dressings come off on Monday coming, which will be 2 weeks after the event. The fracture itself will not be treated as they usually heal on their own.

Google suggest 4-8 weeks ‘recovery’, though not sure that means being able to hold a set of bars round a bumpy trail for a few hrs.

Any experiences, real life recovery times to get back riding off-road ?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I have avulsion bone spurs in both my elbows – various things set it off mainly hitting it against something. I normally am careful when doing activities that may require an exertion of the tendon/triceps around that area (save mountain biking where i just wrap the elbow in a compression bandage)

I initially wanted to get them scraped off via surgery as there was a point where it was impossible to put any weight on the elbow.

TBH can’t say it is too painful when biking a combination of icing, painkillers and rest helps reduce the inflammation if it plays up.

Someone had suggested using Hand grips which help strengthen the muscles etc and then I went and over did it and gave myself a RSI in my right elbow!!!

iainc

Thanks for info, sounds a bit grim….

iainc

From a quick sit on the bikes in the garage, methinks the winter road/adventure bike will be the only one seeing fresh air this side of Christmas…. bending arm fork action more than a tad uncomfy 🙁

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Elbow avulsion fracture – how long off bike ?’ is closed to new replies.