• This topic has 80 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mttm.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • 2016 distance cycled – target met?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

After years of tri’s, my target was to ride more for fun and to improve MTB technique on steeper stuff and jumps.

Have ridden more – tick
    Have no idea how far – tick
    Have enjoyed it – tick
    Better technique -tick

So good year all in all despite one bad off.

jonk

This year, I had a target of 10’000 mile but lots of lurgy and stress at work curtailed that. Currently on 9050. I did hope to do 50% offroad on MTB and CX and its about 75% according to veloviewer so, happy with that.

benp1

Wow, some big mileages here

Currently on 3,485 miles

I’m short about 500-700 miles though as not all rides are recorded during the year

Mostly commuting, all rides are fun though!

scotroutes

Currently looking at 6,000km. That’s all “leisure” cycling, no commuting, and the vast majority of it off-road.

I’ve done 10,000km before but that included a lot of road riding, commuting and a LEJOG.

chiefgrooveguru

Targets – no big crashes, ride my bike enough to stay fast enough, improve skills, have fun. Success!

orena45

Did 3745 miles last year and aimed for 4000 this year, but as of the end of today I’ll be at 3703 miles. Will be beat last year’s total, but only just!

tenfoot

My target was based on 50 miles a week on average, so 2600 miles. I hit that at the end of November. Around half mtb, half gravel bike.
    I don’t know where I’d find the time to do much more than that, tbh.

chakaping
    Free Member

No distance target, have done about 4,500km so far though – mixed on/off road.

Did have a climbing target, but can’t remember what it was.

😳

On 108,923m at the moment, so let’s say it was 110,000m yeah?

RoterStern
    Free Member

The number of kilometres/miles is pretty arbitary as it doesn’t take into account what type of riding so it is not something I particularly bother about.My targets are more race related and on that score I did OK in most of the races I entered and got on the podium a few times. The cross season didn’t go quite as well as last year as I missed the first few rounds and so started my first race gridded at the back and spent the rest of the race series gradually getting a start further forward but I did manage a third and fourth place in two one off races. But seeing as there is a thread about distance I went and looked on Strava and have managed 2000km more this year already than last year with the current total at just under 13000km.

DrT
    Free Member

Blimey, some real mile eating here.

I didn’t set a target, I’m at 3000km, 2800km of which is off road and about 500km off road on the tandem. No commuting so all just out playing.

40km of climbing.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

My target was 10,000km too and i passed it on Wednesday morning, a good feeling.

I have targeted and passed 12,000km in previous years but I found I was doing a lot of junk miles* just to hit the target.

So this year i focused on more quality rides rather than quantity. I think I achieved that balance with some monster (250km) rides as well as two trips to the alps (one MTB and one road) and three days riding in Italy in June.

*junk miles in this instance meaning times I rode just to meet the target, I wasn’t benefiting from the riding in that it wasn’t making me fitter, in fact it was wearing me out. I wasn’t even enjoying the ride either.

This just meant cycle commuting to work three or four days a week rather than four or five days a week.

EDIT: not bad for a 52 year old

rone

On the MTB – 6700 last year.

This year no target – 4800 currently . Will probably get to 5000 miles.

Just a lot more under-weather this year plus work etc.

Happy with that.

whitestone
    Free Member

Current Strava figures for 2016:

Distance 8,881.1 km
    Time 505h 10m
    Elev Gain 125,767 m

So 119Km to get to 9K – actually knock 42Km off that as I rode into work today so 77km.

Probably 1800Km of that total was on various ITTs.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

No target set, but, well, nowhere near what I wanted.
    Started off well.
    Then head kinda went pop.
    Struggled all year with health ( both mine and my Mum) and never really got out of the darkness.
    Still sat with the Black Dog now.
    Here’s hoping 2017 is a better one, and I can set some goals that I stick too.

cchris2lou

Was hoping for 8000km and reached 9000 this morning.
    Very pleased.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i have about 150 miles left of the 4000 aimed at. Might just do it.

belugabob
    Free Member

As my workplace is 25 miles away, with 2 steep climbs in the last 4 miles, I only commute a couple of times a year. This means that my previous annual distance record is 1500 miles.

Despite not having commuted at all, this year, and having a slack start & finish to the year, I’ve already exceeded that distance and should break the 1600 mile mark easily.

Given that I’m an overweight 54 year old desk jockey, I’m quite pleased with that.

Got touring trips and a challenge ride planned for next year, so have a target of 2000 in mind.

njee20
    Free Member

As my workplace is 25 miles away, with 2 steep climbs in the last 4 miles, I only commute a couple of times a year

Sounds perfect! Mine’s 50 miles into London. I drive part way and ride the rest a couple of times a week through summer.

TiRed

1000 km down on my target of 12000 km. Not so bad given a miserable year. Aiming for 400 km/week over the winter months as a good base. That includes 150 km/week at race pace. Off road distance is not huge.

dexa

Target 2000 miles. To date 1475.1 all off road. 3 falls, 1 broken finger, more fun than last year so all in all a great year. Will probably complete another 150 over Christmas.

RustySpanner

New tourer arrived in March, have managed just over 2000 miles since then.

I can’t stop riding the bloody thing, even after a 12 hour shift I have to take it for a spin round the block.

Combined with a couple of bimbles a week over to Barley for lunch and a couple of trips away, job’s a good ‘un.

Haven’t done this many road miles since I was in my teens.

Not telling you the average speed.
    Double figures, but only just.
    😐

fathomer

I did 11,000km, just, last year so set a goal of 12,000 this year. Past that a few weeks back and should make 13k by the end of next week.

Quite heavily road biased commuting most days and the fact that I live in the off road hotspot that is Leicestershire but still manage a good chunk of mtb.

nickc

I’m stealing THM’s list…

Have ridden more – hmmmm probably not if I’m honest
    Have no idea how far -Not true, 1,200ish miles
    Have enjoyed it – tick
    Better technique -tick

yep, all good.

jonba
    Free Member

Tend not to put down a target for miles. I now people who do but they end up doing flat boring miles on local loops just to make up distance.

My targets were to ride new places, do a very long ride, do some racing and ride more mtb.

Done some good new rides, went to Corsica, managed one 700km ride in June, raced a fair bit, didn’d do as well as last year but got a podium in a 3/4 and a few more in the “roadbike catagory” of the local time trial league.

Road race season ended prematurely on the tarmac in a 35mph crash during a sprint. Didn’t do enough mtbing.

reasonable year, not as good as 2015. 12000km on strava but you can add another 3000km to that as commuting which I don’t record.

Next year I’m all about the hill climbs as the national championship are local. Otherwise less racing and more mtbing. Trip to France in summer too.

MSP

3,681/5,000 km according to strava, probably recorded around 95% of my riding this year as I had set myself that target, but I was behind anyway, it was only a lose target so while a little disappointed it is no big deal. No road riding this year, but probably around 10% turbo miles.

Kind of went of the rails a couple of months back when my bouncy bike was stolen. The quality of some of the riding I had done up to that point was really good though and I was really happy with that.

disco_stu
    Free Member

4536 of 5000 miles done this year so I don’t think there’s much chance of me making that target but I’m still up on last years distance.
    Sadly they are mostly commuting and weekend road riding miles.

fasthaggis

Never have a target,but whatever it is at the end of this year I am defo going to change to metric ,just so it feels moreawzum 😉

richpips
    Free Member

I should make 5000 miles after the festive 500.

Minipips will have done 4700, including 6 century rides (one off road) and a double century.

federalski
    Free Member

Done about 2700 miles with no mark to aim for. Gonna try for 5000 next year I reckon, when I think back through the year there really is dozens of time I should have went out but gave it a miss for whatever reason.
    Being a bit of a fair weather rider it is a wee bit grim to think of the amount of times during summer I really should have went out but never bothered, especially now it’s cold and dark so early and motivation is pretty low…

Bregante

I’m still almost 500 miles off my initial target of 3000 miles but I can’t complain. A stupid off in January resulted in a broken patellar and torn tendons so I never really got going until April and then the last 6 weeks I’ve missed with a kidney infection. 4000 next year should be a doddle if I stay injury free.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Gonna try for 5000 next year

and

Being a bit of a fair weather rider

are not really compatible 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m about 100km down on last year, probably not helped by having July off after Mayhem solo, a 3rd child and the wife’s gran being in and out of hospital.

But in the plus side I came 9th solo at mayhem, got my first xc podium and I’m set to finish 11 places higher in the cyclocross league I race in, with a firm 25th. So something worked!!

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

12,345 miles so far, I think I will pass 14,000 before the year is done. How many of those is actually on a MTB…very little. Lots of racing on the MTB this year but very little actual “out riding trails”.

federalski
    Free Member

March to October all guns blazing then the cold months to top it up is the tentative plan…

Gary_M
    Free Member

12,345 miles so far, I think I will pass 14,000 before the year is done.

You’re going to do 1,655 miles in the next 14 days?

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Ahhh no I mean 13,000! 1655 in 14 days would be good though, imagine the Christmas fuelling opportunities.

kampos
    Free Member

My target this year was to climb into space so 100Km up. Just 2Km to go.

sirromj

Around Spring time my target was looking like it could possibly be 6000 miles, but then a sense of reality kicked in so I lowered it to 5000 and expected to smash it. Currently at 4600+ miles – not far short of 7500km. Mostly on 26″ HT which I use for commuting (40 miles min per week) a few longer road rides, and about 1300 miles on the 26″ FS. Probably won’t make 5000 miles as had decided to take it easy this month.

Edit: some stats from Golden Cheetah:
    194 miles in rides tagged Race (XC)
    413 miles in rides tagged Roads without any xc (excluding commutes)
    442 miles in rides tagged Z1
    2760 miles in rides tagged Commute

Gary_M
    Free Member

imagine the Christmas fuelling opportunities.

Don’t think there would be much time for eating 🙂

LadyGresley
    Free Member

802 miles – a piffling 802! Absolutely pathetic! I am going to stand in the corner and have a few stern words with myself…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘2016 distance cycled – target met?’ is closed to new replies.