Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • 2015 Whyte T130s or Whyte T130 SCR Works
  • jammin34
    Free Member

See Below

jammin34
    Free Member

Hi, first post so please accept my advance apology if this has only been asked a few hundred times already 😉 I’ve been looking at several bikes recently and have decided that Whyte appear to be an overal winning contender, originally I was looking at the 901 then the T129s but then after some thought decided the 650b would better suit my planned riding then after a brain wave ! I went and test ride a few and found that I’m too old to cope with a hard tail and that a full suspension model was the best way to go so then loved the T130s. And now after much debate I’ve spoken to a good salesman who now have made me look at the new 2015 works model which is on offer at £2550 atm. So in a nutshell what’s the general opinion of Whyte ? For the money is this a no brainer ? Would people pay the extra and go for the works ? Or is the s model just as good ?

Thanks !

mjsmke

Picked up a T-130 Works this evening for 2399. Hope to take it out on a ride tomorrow. I was going to buy the T-130s at first but then i saw the Works model in a sale in a local(ish) bike shop so went for it. Basically the same frame but better forks, brakes, wheels, drivetrain. The wheel are amazingly light.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Basically the Works version has a 1 x 11 drivetrain over the S 2 x 10.

The Pikes are worth having over the Revs (very much so).

Better kit across the board.

So basically, if you have the money go for the Works, bear in mind the 1 x 11 will need a little more uumph to get up the hills…

Either way, a great bike…. enjoy.

jammin34
    Free Member

Wow £2399 is a bargain, where was this ?

Anyone know any cheaper ones going lol

lecky94
    Free Member

The works has a slightly different frame making the back end just that bit stiffer,iv got a t130s and i love it. i prefer the 10spd for those extra gears on real techy climbs. plus its cheaper to maintain in the long run.must admit the pikes feel a better fork than the revs though.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

The spec changes and stiffer rear end thanks to the wider main pivot and 1×11 are well worth it IMO. Just depends no your budget really.

mtbfix

Where do you ride and how fit are you? The SCR cannot take a front mech so 1x is all you ever be able to run. So if you need a winch gear the plain S would, IMO, be the way to go.

jammin34
    Free Member

Good question ! I’m not the fittest in all honesty but this will be my first bike for over 15 years so I’m guessing it’s going to be an experience to say the least lol.

I’m not fully au fait with gearing yet as I’m literally a beginner but I’m looking to do woodland trails including minor downhill riding and some jumps etc

z1ppy

I reckon the T-130 is an excellent bike for the UK and all the travel the majority of ppl need, good choice. What puts me off the SCR (and all other similar designed frames) is the “1x only” option. I have no doubt that the SCR frames are excellent, especially going from feed back from friends & should be the best option.
    BUT There no way on earth I’m buying into the 1×11 system that requires a £100+ cassette. I have tried it quickly, & agree it is very good, but simply £100+ for a consumable item is too much. I don’t see the “one up” 10speed type systems (you buy a extra cog to fit as a replacement smallest gear on the cassette and dump one of the higher rings) as anything but a compromise that will wear out too far quickly compared to the rest of the drive train (so no saving). I have run a 1×10 system for a year and did cope with it but was doing more walking than I wanted (though I also got better a s the year progressed), and it made my knee click/hurt. I’m now back on a 2×10 system and much happier, & I think this is relevant to your “I’m too old to cope with a HT” comment

bigbloke
    Free Member

If your coming back after 15 yr, I would just get the T130, it will be more useful in the long term 1×11 is a bit limiting on an expensive new bike and can’t be changed if you don’t get on with it. The double chainset will be much more use to you, you can try out a single ring in the future on that and change back if it’s not working out.

jammin34
    Free Member

Could I not make it 2 ring at the front ? And then as I progress take it back to a single ?

ceepers

No, the works is a slightly different frame and won’t accept a front derailleur

jammin34
    Free Member

Ok looks like it’s the T130s then 🙂

I guess over time I could always upgrade it, any must do upgrades that anyone recommends on this bike ? Tyres ?

mboy
    Free Member

Can I just ask where you guys bought these so cheaply?

jammin34
    Free Member

I saw mine at Banjo Cycles in Newbury, they were having a 15% sale on everything. It’s ended now but they have a great offer at least once a month.

I reserved both whilst on offer to give me time to decide which one to go for without loosing the discount !

z1ppy

If the tyres are anything like the T129 WTB tyre, I’d leave em be as I thought them great (& WTB tyres are getting good reviews generally), unless you want a more mud specific tyre to match your location. TBH I’d not worry about upgrading anything, just get it and ride, when stuff wears out or is broken, look at newer/better/shinier stuff then.

jammin34
    Free Member

I think I even saw a post on here about a guy selling a 3 month old T130 Scr Works for £2.2k ono

If it’s as clean as he says, sounds like a good price !

mjsmke

If your near SE London or north Kent i can give the name of a very good bike shop to get that deal. So pleased with the Works model.

br
    Free Member

BUT There no way on earth I’m buying into the 1×11 system that requires a £100+ cassette. I have tried it quickly, & agree it is very good, but simply £100+ for a consumable item is too much.

Nearer £200…

z1ppy

I know but if I wrote £200, some smart arse would appear saying “can get them for £188” or the like..

toomba
    Free Member

What kind of deals are going around on the T130s??

postierich
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qht5by]10153692_10152994270731474_6633101099459015474_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    Try before you buy I,m only 5,10 and found the medium far to small so went for a large with a 60mm stem instead of the 80. Tyres on the bike were unsuitable for the Lakes so the shop sold me some other tyres at cost!
    Check bike over as i,ve had a to long chain that has caused shifting issues and eventually knackered a rear mech which has now been changed! Also got a sticky reverb lever works fine but needs sorting have also changed the wheels has I prefer Hopes hubs!

mjsmke

11 speed cassettes will hopefully get cheaper. I did think about this but went for the SCR in the end as i can always switch to a 10 speed setup if i need to and sell the 11 speed kit. Not bothered about the drop in range. The shop has the S on display and the orange looks amazing.

I went for a small as I’m 5ft5 with short legs. Feels great for me.

jammin34
    Free Member

I’ve seen the 2015 T130S model on sale for £1870 but that’s the best deal that I have come across to date. This was at Banjo Cycles in Newbury, no affiliation at all but I’m very happy with their service and advice.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Hi OP,

If you have a word with John in Banjo Cycles he’ll let you try his own SCR as they use it as a demo, it’ll give you an idea as to whether the 1*11 is right for you. FWIW I ride around the Newbury area a lot and find 1 by fine but it’s a case of each to their own.

dvowles82
    Free Member

I’ve had zero issues with 1×11 gearing. Even that really steep part of Bike Park Wales beast of burden fireroad is fine.

Tell you what, I took the T130 works to Bike Park Wales for the first time last weekend. Was worried I may have lusted after the G150 in place of it, but the T130 coped admirably. Flew up the climb significantly faster that mates on longer travel bikes, but was right up there on the descents too. The tabletops, rock steps and undulations of Sixtapod really showed off the playful, poppy nature of the bike. But the stiff, supportive frame and suspension easily dispatched the rougher red runs too. On the tighter, twistier parts of the trails it was a riot as it’s that much more agile/snappy than longer, slacker bikes. Can’t wait to go back there!

andy73
    Free Member

After being out the bike scene since 2012 I’ve just got myself a Large (I’m 5’11”) T130s. Before that in 2012 I had the Yeti 575 which I thought was an amazing bike and really set a new benchmark for me. However, I must say that after changing the stock bar and stem to Renthal, this T130 is just as good as the Yeti was for alot less money, obviously the spec isn’t quite up to the XT of the 575, but it seems to work well so far and coming with a stealth reverb as standard is a huge bonus for the T130s.

Cant wait to get out at Cannock to thrash its pants off.

mjsmke

I can’t wait to ride mine this weekend. Just not sure i wanna take out in swamp like conditions straight away.

dvowles82
    Free Member

@Andy73 – what width/length renthal stem and bars are you using?

tayls
    Free Member

“I can’t wait to ride mine this weekend. Just not sure i wanna take out in swamp like conditions straight away”

I can recommend the mucky nutz face fender xl, fits perfect on the swingarms protecting the front mech and rear shock.

andy73
    Free Member

@dvowles82 – Just standard Fatbar Lite width, think its 740mm with a Renthal Apex 70mm Stem. Feels spot on. Im 5’11” on a large.
    This bike feels just like my old 2012 Yeti 575 yet the T130s feels a bit more agile even with the 650b wheels, also this is over £1000 less. Great bike for anyone who is thinking of getting one, you wont be disappointed one bit.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Very happy with my T-130 Works only thing I don’t like is the stem which I think is a bit ugly, was thinking of a Fatbar Lite, Renthal Apex combo and as it’s looks great on the T-130s above I’m going to go for it.

andy73
    Free Member

Go for it, they do look great. I agree, the OEM stem isnt the nicest looking around.
    The Renthal Apex stem is ridiculously light too.

dvowles82
    Free Member

Definitely looks nice there were the renthal! Do you think you could have got away with a 50mm stem? I am torn. Have a renthal apex 50mm (unopened), but even at 5’10”, I’m thinking it might be too short in reach and 60mm may be the way to go. 70mm is a touch long. Only snag is that I can’t really try the 50mm without opening box, installing and riding with it. So won’t able to change it if I do that.

andy73
    Free Member

It’s a tough call, dependent really on arm length etc etc. Personally, if you’re unsure error on the side of caution and go with a 60mm stem. Im finding the 70mm is fine for me, I reckon I could have gone 60 which I may do some point but for now Ill stick to the 70 and see how I get on for a few months.

andy73
    Free Member

dvowles82
    Free Member

Looking good!

jammin34
    Free Member

Andy, do you have a link for the stem and bars that you bought ?

Really like them, I’m 6ft 4″ so am I right in assuming because I have a long reach I would better suit a 50mm stem ?

Also what width bars do you have ?

thorpie
    Free Member

Love my T130 Works, changed the stem and bar to an Easton Haven combo (carbon bar). Run the wheels tubeless having changed the rear Maxxis Ardent ‘race’ tyre to a proper one!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘2015 Whyte T130s or Whyte T130 SCR Works’ is closed to new replies.