Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • 2015 Whyte T130s or Whyte T130 SCR Works
  • jammin34
    Free Member

When you say proper what did you choose ?

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Very happy with my T130SCR.

Changed bar and stem to Renthall (Fat Bar Lite and 60mm stem) and swapped the rear Ardent Race for a standard Ardent.

thorpie
    Free Member

As above, swapped the Ardent race for a standard one. The race version is for dry hard pack by the looks of it, not winter gloop.

pdV6
    Free Member

Just picked up a T130S built up with a Pike reduced to 140mm.

Still in the tweaking phase but loving it so far.

Yes, the Works would have made financial sense initially but being old & fat I decided the 2×10 setup was a better bet for me.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 50mm On-One stem which I might try and then decide on either a 50/60/70mm Apex.

Also posted this in another thread:

Magic Mary vs Maxxis Shorty- round one knockout

Fitted a Shorty to the front of my Whyte T-130 Works yesterday, swapped the front Ardent to the back. Seems to now have loads of front end grip, due to injured neck/shoulder I wasn’t exactly pushing it really hard but I could feel the difference on some local loose/leafy singletrack.

Only issues are it made a horrible noise with the front mudhugger mudguard and it’s a bit buzzy on the road. TBO my old Trailrackers on the HT are just as noisy and not as grippy but that’s probably because there 26″ so totally obsolete

granny_ring

How do the 130s ride, a mag review says that the rear shock is quite harsh?

dvowles82
    Free Member

Which mag is that?

Anything but harsh in my opinion!

postierich
    Free Member

As above mine is nice and plush!

granny_ring

Good to hear thought I’d read it in WMB or MBR about it being a bit harsh when not going full tilt.

jammin34
    Free Member

I’m still very new to riding but so far I can’t really fault my T130s except possibly for the rear tyre not being as good as I would have liked especially for grip in mud, suspension wise though I can’t fault it at all.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@jammin34 the tyres on the T130s are described as ‘fast rolling’ so they’re really summer tyres and not going to be great in mud. HTH

dvowles82
    Free Member

Jammin, you 6’4″ on a large? As your reach is longer, you’d need a longer stem, not shorter (all things being equal). I think 50mm will be way too cramped unless you have short arms.

One thing I’m considering is getting the Thomson carbon 750mm bars. they have only 6 degrees backsweep, which will increase reach and therefore should make the 50mm stem do able. With the standard whyte bars I don’t think I’ll be comfortable on stems below 60mm.

jammin34
    Free Member

Oh ok that makes more sense 🙂 I do have a long reach so it does sound better that I can increase the distance by increasing the stem size, cheers.

I do like the rental bars and stem but are they worth the money ? Or is there others out there worth considering too ?

dvowles82
    Free Member

Good review posted on whyte website of the T130 by Australian Mountain bike magazine.

andy73
    Free Member

If anyones interested, I am selling my renthal bars and stem together, which can be seen on my pic on this thread, decided I Want to go carbon LOL….

postierich
    Free Member

possibly what size stem? and how much!

andy73
    Free Member

The stem is the 70mm one. I could split if needed though but ideally would rather shift the 2 together. £90 for both

dvowles82
    Free Member

Decided that 50mm stem is gonna be just a touch short. Had considered a 60mm apex stem, but have compromised and ordered an Easton Haven 55mm.

Bars will be ordered soon, either renthal 740/780 or Thomson 750.

Anyone going for properly wide at 780?

mjsmke

I’m getting on quite well with the stock bars and stem (70mm) on the SCR. Thinking about loosing the bashguard but will want to replace the crank spider too to make it neater.

andy73
    Free Member

Just got some Easton Haven 35 carbon bars to try out on my T130s. Will be interesting to see how going up to 35mm changes the ride, if at all.

dvowles82
    Free Member

Mjsmke- I too was thinking about removing the bash guard. Weird it’s on the t130 but not the g150! does it serve any purpose (like keeping the chain secure) other than protection against stray rocks?

mjsmke

I don’t think it helps the chain stay on. I get no chain clatter at all so it seems to stay on the chainring well enough. It’ll protect the chain from rocks but I’m more likely to hit the ring on a fallen tree log or stump.

andy73
    Free Member

Going back to my T130s, changed bar/stem combo to Easton Haven carbon 35.

dvowles82
    Free Member

Sweet. Looks much better in black than the previous gold I think.

Recently installed an Easton Haven 55mm stem. Only taken it on one ride so far but definitely an Improvement from stock 70mm. More responsive and slightly more planted on descents. Reach absolutely fine when climbing (with seat up) too.

Also ordered a Thomson 750mm carbon bar, but it’s arrived and has a mere 6° backsweep. holding it next to whyte bars shows the bar ends 2cm further forward! I’d ordered it as feared 55mm stem may reduce reach too much (it doesn’t) so probably going to return it for a more comfortable shape.

chiefgrooveguru

Also ordered a Thomson 750mm carbon bar, but it’s arrived and has a mere 6° backsweep. holding it next to whyte bars shows the bar ends 2cm further forward! I’d ordered it as feared 55mm stem may reduce reach too much (it doesn’t) so probably going to return it for a more comfortable shape.

Bear in mind that effective stem length is what matters, which is your stem length minus the bar backsweep. So a 55mm stem with bars with 2cm less backsweep will feel like a longer stem (in terms of reach and steering feel) than a 70mm stem with the old bars!

andy73
    Free Member

Agreed dvowles, the black does look better than the renthal colour way.
    I was concerned the 9′ back-sweep on the eastons would be too much for me as the renthals were a lot less, but the eastons feel great. It’s odd cos the sweep is the same as the stock bars but they felt way more than eastons 9′.
    I stuck with the 70mm stem length and I found on climbs, the front just starts to lift otherwise of have gone down to a 50mm. Feels right as it is for me now anyway.

Also, how are people finding the SRAM DB5 brakes? Tempted to swap them out for an SLX set.

dan2406

Anyone had any issues with chips in the paintwork? Have noticed a very small dot of a chip that is on my T130S! Hardly noticable i know but to me its there. Anyone ever taken back a new bike under warrenty because of this. Or can i just try and get a qucik fix to it myself.

“According to ATB website:-
    This limited warranty is subject to the following conditions:

1.The bike must be supplied fully assembled from an official dealer’s premises.
    2.The instructions for use, maintenance and cleaning of the frame must be followed and all usual precautions to protect the frame from the elements must be taken at all times as the frame may suffer damage if it is neglected or not properly maintained and cleaned
    3.Normal wear and tear, crash damage or accidental damage is excluded from this warranty
    4.This warranty will not apply to frames which have been improperly assembled; or modified; or have had parts or accessories fitted which are not compatible with the frame.
    5.Repainting or re-lacquering a metal frame will invalidate the warranty where the process involves heating the frame to over 180 Celsius. Repainting or re-lacquering a carbon frame will invalidate this warranty altogether.
    6.This warranty will not apply frames used for racing, jumping, trick riding or any other non standard use
    7.This warranty does not include any liability for indirect or consequential loss or damage and such is expressly excluded
    8.This warranty does not cover labour charges incurred in changing over parts or the cost of carriage
    9.Claims under this warranty must be reported in writing by the first registered owner to ATB Sales Ltd and the frame delivered to one of its authorised dealers within the period of this warranty
    10.Whyte Bikes decline all responsibility for damages to people, animals or objects due to the use of this product

blacknose
    Free Member

Bikes get scratched. There’s nothing more depressing than a nice bike with pristine paintwork.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

You want to make a warranty claim for a tiny chip in the paint? You’re having a laugh right? You want to just get out and ride more and spend less time obsessing over stem lengths and colour co-ordination.

br
    Free Member

dan2406

A riding pal has just had his T129 frame replaced as he had paint ‘lifting’.

Take it back to the shop and let them take a look.

dvowles82
    Free Member

That’s pretty extreme! Bikes get dinged and chipped, just the way it is. I like a few battle scars on my bikes!

postierich
    Free Member

Anyone got a pair of original bars from their whyte 130 they no longer need fancy a pair on a bike I,m building up on the cheap .Would be nice to have the same set of bars on my fat bike

Rich

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi Rich

I’m about to swap out my original bars from my T-130 Works for a set of Renthals. Will also be swapping out the original Whyte 70mm stem if you’re interested it that?

I’d be open to an offer on either/both 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

sorted for a stem only need the bars £10 plus postage for the bars!

Rich

dan2406

Ok ok.. Maybe I’m being abit OTT over a small chip. Out tonight and it’s covered in mud so don’t notice it. All good. Must say it’s definately best full suss I’ve ever been on. Just need some spring sunshine now

dan2406

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-whyte-t-130-s-15-49278/

Review of the T130s here. Gets a 5 stars from me. Not sure about the tyres but they will do for now. Fast rolling on hard surfaces but when it gets sticky they clog up big time. Also had to raise the seat up a few inches to feel right. Could ride it all day. 🙂

andy73
    Free Member

@Postierich,

IF you’ve had no luck I also have mint unused OEM T130s Bar/stem combo Id do on the cheap. Send me an offer if interested.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@postierich £10 seems quite low for the bars will either keep them as spares or maybe post on ‘For Sale’ at some point

andy73
    Free Member

Well, the T130s has left the building to make way for something else.. Just wasn’t getting to grips with the Whyte as much as I’d have thought.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘2015 Whyte T130s or Whyte T130 SCR Works’ is closed to new replies.