Viewing 37 posts - 281 through 317 (of 317 total)
  • 2015 Prudential ride 100
  • TiRed

Pretty sure I rode with him for much of the ride. My time up Leith Hill was why I didn’t stick with him to the end. 83rd overall according to the preliminary results. Training was three club rides and two circuit races (in fairness Tuesday’s was an E123). Plus Ibuprofen and a wrist guard.

brakes
    Free Member

4:40 for me which I was pleased with given I had a puncture that cost me 10 minutes and set off after 7am so was going faster than most but there weren’t many willing to share the wind.
    awesome day.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We were working at Pyrford Cricket club today and had a great day. Respect to everybody, that was a warm one.

sputnik
    Free Member

What a blast! Was doing domestique duties for a lady friend, we finished in 4:43 .
    Only complaint about the organisation is no beer tent at the end!

hooli

I finished in just over 6 hours which I was happy with considering I felt a bit under-prepared before the ride.

Not sure I will do another, it felt like there were too many people of mixed abilities on the road and I saw some really, really poor and dangerous cycling. I saw at least 4 people being loaded into ambulances after pretty bad crashes and there must have been 8 other, less serious crashes that I saw as well as countless near misses.

On the entry form, I estimated my time at 6 and a half hours so started at 8:20. Perhaps I should have put a faster time so I got an earlier start and was surrounded by more experienced cyclists?

I also thought the hubs and drink stops were pretty poor considering how many people were expected. I only stopped twice as the other stops were queuing 30 or 40 deep when I got there. On both occasions, there was no food left and the second stop had even run out of water!

All in I enjoyed it, you cant knock riding through London on closed roads with crowds cheering you on but the stuff mentioned about has left me with mixed feelings about it.

simon_g

6:32 and Leith Hill was closed by the time I got there (8.21 start).

There was the aftermath of a couple of crashes on the way round but not too bad I thought. I didn’t see much numptyness but then I wasn’t pushing for a fast time and everyone else around seemed to be regarding it as a long steady ride, not a race. There were times I was quicker than people around me but could get through fine, and times I was slower but there was plenty of space for faster riders to get through.

I enjoyed it despite the pain of underpreparedness – a fun day out on closed roads.

spacemonkey

spacemonkey – Member
    Rider down on Leith Hill. Air ambulance in attendance.

Unfortunately the chap didn’t make. Heart attack it seems 🙁

mrjmt
    Free Member

Glad there’s a couple of other mortals posting their times! 5:39 chip time for me, including three long toilet stops due to apparent erm, issues!

Very pleased, was planning on training for sub 6hrs then bought a house to renovate!

gringo

It was a great day. Loved every minute of it. Well organised, although the 2 hubs that I stopped at were a bit chaotic. I finished in 5h47mins but missed Leith Hill due to the poor guy in the link above. Totalled 96.3 miles in the end.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

8 :25 – actual cycling time minus stops for taking photos, hanging around at Newlands etc… 7:14.

Newlands! Speaking of which…

teasel
    Free Member

I mentioned it the last time we met but Nick is starting to look like a bit of a badman with the facial hair.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

There were some very silly tired, overweight people walking their bikes up a slight incline. At 37 miles…

I let them know how far we’d got. Don’t know if they re-considered their game plan.

Ironically, the most amusing tshirt of the day: “Fat Lad At The Back”. On some VERY fat lads. Most of whom were faster than me. 😯

Rockape63
    Free Member

Whilst I probably would have hammered it too for a fast (ish) time, its a shame that those who did, missed all the lovely scenery, on what was such a perfect day.

(BTW Mboy, I was only asking your age etc as most of us are probably far above our racing weights, but can get a better understanding of your achievement knowing you’re 35 and not 55.)

NJA

5:43 for me, planned on 6 1/2 hours, secretly hoped for 6, but for a fat bloke in his 50’s that was fast.

Sorry to hear about the bloke on Leith Hill, seems to be one every year 😥

njee20
    Free Member

I mentioned it the last time we met but Nick is starting to look like a bit of a badman with the facial hair.

😆

Better than looking like a 12 year old!

ronically, the most amusing tshirt of the day: “Fat Lad At The Back”. On some VERY fat lads. Most of whom were faster than me.

You know that’s a clothing brand aimed at the larger cyclist? There were some proper chunky folk out there, but good on em for being out there!

FB-ATB

Hooli
    I had 6.5hrs on my entry and started at 7.18. My mate predicted 6hrs 20mins and started at 7.30, so I think their allocation of start times may be a bit arbitrary.

If the “more experienced” riders started early, then the 2 or 3 I saw being treated on the road early on (even still in London) would have left before me, so that’s no guarantee of safety. I did find that not many people used the whole of the road ie the RHS, so following a tip from a previous poster I keep on that side through most of London and kept out of trouble and managed to keep my speed up.

Regarding the chunky riders- I’m no slim jim and it was quite surprising being rapidly overtaken by people who you’d initially look at and dismiss.

I carried extra water and hoped not to stop so wasn’t worried about them, partly in case they were out of supplies by the time I got there and partly to save time.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Well I don’t know about anyone else ..but my legs are proper knackered today ….

I love pain….lol

cinnamon_girl

The Boy mentioned yesterday (aka my son) went on a plane today to France for, yes indeed, more riding!

jam-bo

ired, overweight people walking their bikes up a slight incline. At 37 miles…
    I let them know how far we’d got. Don’t know if they re-considered their game plan.

What, like walk up what they had to to conserve energy and ride the rest?

I spent about an hour at the finish and was far more impressed with the one who hard clearly worked hard to ride 100 miles than the sportive heroes

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

If anyone saw a rider sitting on the edge of Portsmouth road in Kingston drinking beer after finishing the ride, that was me.

While I was there I saw quite a few larger riders heading down towards Kingston. I very much doubt any of them would have made it up any of the climbs without pushing, but when I saw them it was 85 miles into a ride, it was 1-2 pm and they were cracking on. Instead of wondering whether they had pushed or not, I applauded a little bit louder than I applauded the rest.

aP
    Free Member

We had a lovely ride in the Purbecks, followed by several hours in the pub with Charlie the Bikemonger.

jam-bo

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MEvGXz4s_3VeYCs50LhALfbSrB95krIYUQ7BtpcmCcU/htmlview?pli=1

Sortable results if anyone is interested in how they stacked up…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Are those results missing some data? Only 18969 results there. Thought there was supposed to be about 26,000 riding?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Can’t get the link to work, but just out of the first 100 results on the ridelondon site, I can see 22 non starters. so that might explain it?

freeagent
    Free Member

So I was one of those ‘larger’ riders yesterday..
    Well, I thought I was until I saw a few people who were a fair bit bigger than me..
    Anyways, Strava says 6hrs 44mins (moving time) which is basically what I hoped to achieve.
    My chip time was 8hrs 40mins, which considering I spent an hour at the bottom of Leith hill (yes, I know why and I’m pretty saddened to know someone never made it home) and probably another 20mins + waiting behind other accidents I guess my chip time is irrelevant.

I messed up my hydration/nutrition a bit toward the end, I think the warmer weather sneaked up on me because I expected to finish before it warmed up, and really suffered(cramp + other weird pains) over the last 10-15 miles.

I agree with the other comments re – shocking riding and accidents, I saw several very poorly looking people, including one girl near Hampton court who was laying under a blanket, and another guy on the way out of Box Hill sporting a collar/spine board combo.

As for the route – I ended up walking a couple of hundred metres up Newlands, mostly due to the volume of riders getting off in front of me. I walked a fair bit of Leith, again due to congestion/incidents.
    I rode all of Box Hill (easy compared o the others) and walked the last hundred metres up Wimbledon hill (was knackered by then!)

It was an amazing event, and I’ll be entering the ballot again next year – I think with a bit of weight loss/more training I could/should crack 6 hours.

TiRed

Have downloaded male and female finish times, run them through some custom SAS code# and now have stats for all of the clubs who took part. If anyone wants any summary of their club, drop me a line (email in profile). If you want to know where you ranked personally, do likewise.

TCC were fourth with 61 riders and a median time of 5:06 (top 10 below).

Obs Club Name N Median Min Max Mean StDev
    1 DULWICH PARAGON 162 4:59:02 3:58:56 8:51:16 5:13:50 1:01:39
    2 KINGSTON WHEELERS 90 4:47:27 4:01:44 9:25:19 5:08:57 1:08:29
    3 LONDON DYNAMOS 80 4:43:50 4:01:26 8:07:42 4:57:53 0:53:03
    4 TWICKENHAM CYCLING CLUB 61 5:06:37 3:58:26 8:34:51 5:22:23 1:09:48
    5 BIGFOOT CYCLING CLUB 55 5:52:36 4:02:04 8:23:27 6:03:56 1:11:58
    6 ISLINGTON CYCLING CLUB 53 5:20:19 4:13:33 8:17:38 5:29:19 1:01:11
    7 VELO CYCLE CLUB NORWICH 49 5:36:53 4:06:39 8:03:54 5:39:30 0:58:25
    8 ESSEX ROADS/40 PLUS 48 5:22:25 4:28:16 8:27:51 5:54:29 1:12:11
    9 DORKING CYCLING CLUB 47 5:49:22 4:03:42 8:43:12 5:53:39 1:11:43
    10 REDHILL CYCLING CLUB 42 5:15:55 4:18:26 7:58:33 5:25:57 0:55:35

#Note it’s a pretty flakey algorithm for matching entries to clubs, but the data is not great!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Jam Bo, is there any way to download that spreadsheet? I am probably being dim, thanks for posting anyway – very interesting!

jam-bo
    theflatboy
    Free Member

Excellent, I got it sorted in fact. Cheers 🙂

theotherjonv

They have named the rider who died on Leith Hill. Condolences to his family and friends.

Particularly 😯 to me – as the article says he was a well known and respected local referee in the Reading area, and was one of my tutors and mentors when I started out refereeing many years ago.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/ridelondon-collapse-death-cyclist-stephen-9783457

medders
    Free Member

Massive kudos to the bigger/older people doing this ride. I saw a fair few when I paused my XC ride for a bit on Headley Heath to watch the riders go past. It is a real challenge and achievement for those guys.

For the racing snakes its just an opportunity to smash out a time and is all a bit meh from a spectators point of view.

will
    Free Member

Great times everybody, and glad the weather was kind this year!

TiRed

For the racing snakes its just an opportunity to smash out a time and is all a bit meh from a spectators point of view.

Bit harsh – even at 7am through London I waved and said hi to those who came out so early. Same for the crowds in Dorking – and I was turning myself inside out at the time chasing the front group! I may have been in a minority, mind.

And I have absolute respect for anyone of a larger build who finished in any time. I think their achievements are much more important than mine. Time on saddle says a huge amount about attitude and resilience. So well done to all who entered. Roll on next year…

hooli

Ride photos are up at marathon-photos.com, my trying hard to get up a hill face is not pretty 😳

kristoff
    Free Member

Looking at entering for a charity next year, do I need to enter via he same ballot?

Any pointers appreciated.

jam-bo

contact the charity you want to ride for, they have guaranteed places and don’t have to enter the ballot.

kristoff
    Free Member

Thanks, Jam bo 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 281 through 317 (of 317 total)

The topic ‘2015 Prudential ride 100’ is closed to new replies.