Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 2015 camber evo new or s/h camber carbon?
  • dockie64
    Free Member

Hi all,
    im a newbie here but have an mtb obsession at the ripe old age of 51 🙂 I want to buy an xc/trail bike and have been offered a 2015 camber evo at a good discount. However the dealer has a 2014 camber carbon comp 29,er that has never been offroad except to go greenlaning and not much of that either. The latter is a couple of hundred cheaper than the new evo…… which would you learned folk choose????
    Thanks in advance.

Murray

Both will be great. I’d choose based on running gear – if one has Shimanno brakes I’d get that one.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In true STW fashion – buy the ’15 evo, you wont be disappointed

Tracey

We have got the evo. Felt alot more bike than the standard one

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

+1

bowglie

I’ve currently got a Camber Evo 29 and previously had a Camber Carbon 29 (non Evo). The Evo came with Shimano Deore brakes, which perform exactly the same as the XT and SLX versions on my other bikes i.e. brilliantly. The carbon came with Formula T1s brakes, which took a lot of fretting to get anywhere near Shimano performance.

Weight wise, the carbon was at least 2 pounds lighter than the alumium Evo. Handling wise, I guess it depends on your level of experience etc., but for riding trail centres and general trail riding, I don’t think there’s an awful lot of difference between the normal Camber and Evo version – they’re both excellent bikes. I was expecting a night and day difference between the Evo and the normal Camber, but there really isn’t a massive difference in it. I think if you’re into getting a little bit of air, flying off drops and really railing around berms flat out, then maybe the Evo would be the better bet, but if you’re more of a wheels on the ground, normal trail riding person, then I’d go with the carbon Camber – just check that the bottom bracket and headset on the used bike are OK, as IME, they’re not exactly the longest lasting bearings.

As someone has already commented, buying on spec is probably wise, as I found the normal Camber with good components felt better than my boggo Evo (although the latter is being upgraded:))

HTH

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘2015 camber evo new or s/h camber carbon?’ is closed to new replies.