• This topic has 38 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 2014 SLX brake problem- help (lever back to bars)
  • hora
    Free Member

Before I post it back for warranty..

The brake is a 2014 SLX rear brake. The Lever goes back to the bars. The pistons aren’t sticking- when the brake is bled/refilled the fluid is grey/contaminated and escapes but with no obvious source.

I recently had the hose(s) shortened. Could it be an incorrectly fitted olive? The diaphram and hoses etc are as they should be otherwise.

wwaswas

you should be able to see if the fluid escaping past a poorly fitted hose. Not sure why it would still be contaminated if it’s been flushed through by a proper bleed either?

tbh, with most things like this I’d always blame the most recent change if it starts going wrong soon after.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

why would that be warranty

rhid

Is it dot5.1 in it instead of Mineral oil? Contamination could be breakdown of seals?

hora
    Free Member

Is it dot5.1 in it instead of Mineral oil? Contamination could be breakdown of seals?

I noticed that the bikeshop used blue fluid if that helps? Think it said Manitou(!) on the bottle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

First port of call would be back to the shop for them to check.

rob jackson – Member
    why would that be warranty

Because Shimano brakes seam to have a habit of leaky seals, if it’s new then you can send it back and get it replaced.

khani
    Free Member

Magura fluid is blue, and it’s mineral oil iirc, if they’ve been bled correctly and still not right then warranty, if the shops used dot fluid then they’ve got to sort it out..
    Put some bog roll round the hose junctions and squeeze em on and off a few times, if the fluids seeping out it might be a wonky olive..

hora
    Free Member

Is it worth posting it back to Germany though or paying (nominal for the hassle) to get it sorted here?

khani
    Free Member

I’d get an Epic bleed solutions kit and the proper fluid and try it myself, you’ll need one anyway..
    And check the olives.

Scapegoat

It must be leaking from somewhere. If not at the caliper, then at the reservoir, if neither of those then at a hose junction, and once that’s eliminated it may be a split hose somewhere in between. I’ll email you.

binners

Your logic is flawless.

1. Take delivery of brake. It works perfectly
    2. Have hose shortened by LBS. It now no longer works
    3. Send to Germany under a warranty claim

hora
    Free Member

Seals Binners Seals.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Sure I read that you had to use Shimano mineral oil as its not like dot fluid (i.e. not a standard that lots of people make). I know that manufacturers all say this but in this case it rang true for me.

rhid

I use non shimano mineral oil in my SLX brakes and it works ok. I think there are slight difference in densities of the oil between different brands or types of mineral oil but as long as you only use 1 single type (ie not mix 2 types!) in your brake it should be ok…..

I could be wrong though. However my brakes still work and thats the important thing.

twohats
    Free Member

You’ve actually voided the warranty by using non Shimano brake fluid. If you’re going to send it back, make sure its flushed through with the Shimano pink fluid!

hora
    Free Member

You’ve actually voided the warranty by using non Shimano brake fluid. If you’re going to send it back, make sure its flushed through with the Shimano pink fluid!

I think I’ll have a conversation with the bikeshop manager. The same place shortened the hose down the week before. I had zero problems before this.

sprocker
    Free Member

My experience of shimano brakes is that they all do it sometimes straight away or after a few months. Never bled any other brake more.

matther01
    Free Member

This may seem daft, but have they adjusted the brake lever reach which gives the feeling of them being ‘back to the bars’?

banks
    Free Member

Have you popped the wheel out and pumped the lever until the pistons sit slightly proud of where they once were?

dirtydog
    Free Member

If it was Magura oil they used then they’re ****.

Read this, scroll down to Shimano.

Tech Speak: Brake Fluid Break Down & Implications for Road Disc

I can tell you with absolute certainty that Magura fluid will destroy Shimano brakes in a very short amount of time.

Shimano.

hora
    Free Member

This may seem daft, but have they adjusted the brake lever reach which gives the feeling of them being ‘back to the bars’?

Nope- it was definitely void of fluid.

Magura oil

Ah that sounds right. I had Manitou in my head for some reason.

wwaswas

Magura and Shimano are both mineral oils so there shouldn’t be any repercussions for seals.

dirtydog
    Free Member

They’ve **** them !

dirtydog
    Free Member

@wwaswas read the link.

hora
    Free Member

wwaswas I spoke to a nice bloke at Madison (tech) who said definitely only pink Shimano fluid should be used.

The ‘good’ thing is my old 2010 XT brakes were cosmetically too worn looking to sell on so I kept them in the shed so at least I can keep riding for now.

hora
    Free Member

It was Magura royal blue used. Like I say these guys are spot-on for mechanics. Anything I have the potential to mess up- I go to them to sort or chop down.

mildred

Funnily enough my 2014’s do this. They were crap out the box but because the hoses needed shortening I was happy to re-bleed them. I have the correct Shimano bleed kit and it’s a job I’ve done many times before – I can get a perfect feel at the lever without any headaches.

Anyway, about every couple of months they need bleeding. I’ve checked all couplings, checked the caliper body was properly torqued together, and I don’t know what else to check. I think they’re just shite put together.

wwaswas

@wwaswas read the link.

I did, unfortunately I only went as far as the first bit with a shimano heading saying it was mineral oil and didn’t realise it carried on in a separate section below. Apologies.

Back to the shop then…

BillOddie

Sorry, but the whole “MUST USE SHIMANO FLUID!!!” thing is quite frankly bollocks.

Here is why: Hydraulic seals are generally made from PTFE, Nitrile or Viton. They are all fine Mineral based Hydraulic Oils.

I have you Halfords LHM Plus (used on Citreon hydralics for example) in 4 sets of Shimano brakes for Ooooo a decade with no issues.

It’s slightly more viscous than the Shimano stuff so bleeding is a bit more tricky.

I wonder if Shimano’s statement has anything to do with the HUGE amount they mark up their mineral oil. It certainly reeks of “don’t sue me or ask for warranty” if you use “their” fluid.

Also… http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/brake-fluid/lhm-plus-mineral-oil/

I would be very interested in what Shimano make their seals out of if they can be affected by using a different brand of mineral oil.
    Nitrile gets killed very quickly by DOT. My guess they are Nitrile, hence the only use our fluid to stop idiots using DOT.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Bill, I have used Cyclo oil in the past with no issues, it doesn’t alter the fact that Magura oil rots Shimano seals, I suggest we both got lucky in our choice of oils.

It’s neither a seal issue or an oil issue, its an incompatibility issue between the two and it’s definitely not bollocks.

BillOddie

Interesting…

begs the questions, a) what does Shimano make it’s seals out of. and b) what on earth are magura putting in it’s “Royal Blood”.

hora
    Free Member

Well 1 week on. Im still running a 2010/2014 mixed brakeset and no call to me. So time to call head office.

Bregante

Somewhere in Germany…….

hora
    Free Member

Keep up Bregante! The brake didnt get to Germany. Its not a warranty problem. Using the wrong fluid invalidates the warranty. The front brake hasnt failed but its losing power (Captain) too.

Bregante

Ah right. I just read the first few posts and lost interest when I realised it was one of your unfortunate warranty tales. You do seem to have rotten luck 😉

So. Somewhere in Germany

hora
    Free Member

I imagine they are holding a parade with speeches..

gonzy
    Free Member

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Ignoring Hora’s problems for a minute… I found that linked article really interesting. The final postscript Q&A about how the free stroke on a Shimano works clarifies a lot too.

Having previously been an advocate of LHM and having used it for a few years in previous generation Shimano brakes, I am happy to declare that I have today had my mind changed by a well articulated discussion on t’interweb. 😯

I’m also glad I bought a big bottle of Shimano oil when I started using M785 XTs

hora
    Free Member

Well I must say Madison have been wow. Great contact and service from them. 🙂

It may not cause any problems but from now on I will always ask what mineral oil the shop will use before handing over my brakes.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘2014 SLX brake problem- help (lever back to bars)’ is closed to new replies.