Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@mefty – you are correct (of course), I checked 1931, 1987, 1992

anagallis_arvensis

Be a good send off winning the cheap lager cup.
    Watching the news now. Great drop goal under pressure but dawsons pass was awful, slow and looping!!

tinybits
    Free Member

really? 15 yards back at about the same trajectory. Wilkinson under no pressure despite the aussie offside. looked ok to me for a bloke who’d played 100mins of a World Cup final, and had just made a 25yard break as well!

anagallis_arvensis

True he had just made a good break thats partly why I thought it was a forward who lobbed it the first time I looked!

ekul
    Free Member

I remember martin Johnson talking about the and he said the reason he went for a pick and go after Dawsons break was because he knew JW was in the pocket and didn’t want anyone but Dawson passing it him. Hence giving Dawson time to get back on his feet and play the ball next phase. Pretty incredible moment one of those sports moments that you couldn’t have written. Like Man City’s title win in 2012.

Pigface
    Free Member

My views on Wilkinson have been said often on here, hope he enjoys his retetirement and can get his head around coaching people who are not the same as him.

anagallis_arvensis

I remember martin Johnson talking about the and he said the reason he went for a pick and go after Dawsons break was because he knew JW was in the pocket and didn’t want anyone but Dawson passing it him. Hence giving Dawson time to get back on his feet and play the ball next phase. Pretty incredible moment one of those sports moments that you couldn’t have written. Like Man City’s title win in 2012.

Yep the calmness of all involved was amazing, to be able to think so clearly when so tired and under such pressure makes it look so easy but many teams have shown that it is anything but.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Pigface – that’s an interesting point you make. He certainly galvanised the 2007 RWC squad, whether that was just with his presence and the confidence he brought to the squad or whether he had other leadership qualities I don’t know. I hope he takes his time with what he does next, he’s recently married and he deserves a rest but he’s not that type of man. They love him down in Toulon, they have their own Johnny chants. An assistants job to Laporte would be perfect.

My views on JW are equally well known here, it is his ability to perform under pressure consistently at such a high level which makes him a very special winner for me. We all love to see someone making line breaks and running 40m for a score but the more mundane aspects of the game win big high pressure matches and the pressure JW puts the oppostition under is enormous, they know a mistake them from costs 3 points.

Roll on Cardiff.

anagallis_arvensis

Scotland squad v USA and Canada

Forwards: Alex Allan (Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Kevin Bryce (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan, Geoff Cross (both London Irish), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh), Richie Gray (Castres), Jim Hamilton (Montpellier), Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons), Kieran Low (London Irish), Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs), Pat MacArthur (Glasgow Warriors), Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors), Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan), Kyle Traynor (Bristol).

Backs: Chris Cusiter (Sale Sharks), Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Max Evans (Castres), Tom Heathcote (Bath), Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester), Sean Lamont, Sean Maitland, Finn Russell (all Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Taylor (Saracens), Tim Visser (Edinburgh).

Scotland squad v Argentina and South Africa

Forwards: Kevin Bryce (Glasgow Warriors), Geoff Cross (London Irish), David Denton, Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford (all Edinburgh), Chris Fusaro (Glasgow Warriors), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh), Jonny Gray, Rob Harley (both Glasgow Warriors), Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs), Pat MacArthur, Gordon Reid (both Glasgow Warriors), Tim Swinson, Jon Welsh (both Glasgow Warriors).

Backs: Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Dougie Fife, Grayson Hart (both Edinburgh); Stuart Hogg, Peter Horne (both Glasgow Warriors), Ruaridh Jackson (London Wasps), Sean Maitland, Peter Murchie, Henry Pyrgos, Tommy Seymour, Duncan Weir (all Glasgow Warriors).

Anyone explain this. Looks like the best players are split. I’d be worried if I were a Scot.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

New manager coming in and wanting to get a good look at the players he’s got available to him. Seems like a sensible idea. It’s interesting to see the young players moving from the EDP program at Edinburgh to full-time pro contracts at Glasgow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27484858

anagallis_arvensis

and I’m worried about wales being dry humped by SA. Tbat Scottish squad will be destroyed if SA take it seriously.

Pigface
    Free Member

Listening to Toulon playing it’s like Saracens art taking on a World 15, what an amazing team.

anagallis_arvensis

Glad Wilkinson won. Other than him Toulon v Saracens is like choosing between genital warts and herpes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Toulon were really rather good, there!

Good to see Habana getting a word for the dive, though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well that was all I hoped it would be. What a send off JW got, he was magnificent he just does so many things well.

Saracens must have been deflated to have had so much territory, to lead just 3-0 and then see Toulon add a little magic to make it 10-3. Thereafter the crowd seemed to have given up on Saracens, they where really quiet and it was like a Toulon home game. Someone needs to tell Stefon he’s a number 8, I was hoping for a Mauri sidestep not a slip, I’m surprised Toulon didn’t run up a bigger score as Sarries where as demoralised as Clermont where a couple of weeks ago. The two forwards combining for their second try should be in a coaching manual for the kids.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good to see Habana getting a word for the dive, though.

He certainly made a meal of it to shouts of “if you want to do that play football” but it was a deliberate check when the ball was long gone.Farrell was taken off immediately afterwards he looked like a rabbit in the headlights as if the weight of playing opposite JW was too much for him. He needs to sit down and take stock, he’s had a poor season and has gone backwards. He needs a rest not a tour to NZ.

Pigface
    Free Member

No send him to New Zealand and I hope he gets a battering, Cippriani waiting in the wings 😆

Hook to Gloucester is a big rumour 😯 replacement for Burns?

jambalaya
    Free Member

H cup semi, Premiership semi, H cup final, Premiership final, NZ test 1,2 3 – a 7 week schedule that makes no sense at all

anagallis_arvensis

So Cipriani or Burns at ten for the first test v nz. I fear a real drubbing coming Englands way.

England squad: Joe Marler (Harlequins), Matt Mullan (London Wasps), Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons), Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks), David Wilson (Bath Rugby), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Joe Gray (Harlequins), Dave Ward (Harlequins), Rob Webber (Bath Rugby), Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby), Joe Launchbury (London Wasps), Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers), Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers), James Haskell (London Wasps), Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs), Matt Kvesic (Gloucester Rugby), Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers), Freddie Burns (Leicester Tigers), Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks), Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby), Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Henry Trinder (Gloucester Rugby), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Marland Yarde (London Irish), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Chris Pennell (Worcester Warriors)

In other news
    http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?domain=9

Mike Phillips will be pleased!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aa the schedule is crazy and it will be a series drubbing never mind the first test.

anagallis_arvensis

Wales will play the Springboks in two Test matches – in Durban on 14 June and Nelspruit on 21 June – with a warm-up match against Eastern Province Kings in Port Elizabeth on 10 June.

Probables (coach Rob Howley):

Liam Williams (Scarlets); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Jordan Williams (Scarlets); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro); Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Capt) (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Lewis Evans (Newport Gwent Dragons), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Rhodri Williams (Scarlets), Sam Davies (Ospreys), Dafydd Hewitt (Cardiff Blues).

Possibles (coach Robin McBryde):

Dan Fish (Cardiff Blues); Kristian Phillips (Scarlets), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Steven Shingler (Scarlets), Harry Robinson (Cardiff Blues); James Hook (Perpignan), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Capt) (Cardiff Blues), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Newport Gwent Dragons), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Dan Baker (Ospreys).

Replacements: Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Owen Evans (Newport Gwent Dragons), Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues), Macauley Cook (Cardiff Blues), James Davies (Scarlets), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Morgan (Ospreys), Jonathan Spratt (Ospreys).

Gulp, cant see any combination of that lot keeping the scores down v SA.
    Shame we wont get to see what Gav can do unless Gatland takes him on tour which would be a shock. Squad will be light on 10, 12, 15 cover. Hook will go as a 15 I would think. Straight choice between McShingler and Henson I would think.

Pigface
    Free Member

London Welsh give Bristol a mountain to climb*

* sports cliche alert

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve got tickets for the second leg in Brizzle. Was hoping for less of a deficit. 😐

Ryan jones to the rescue again? 😀

ijs445ra
    Free Member

DD i think jones picked up a nasty injury last night, not sure he will be playing second leg.

Jim Hamilton to Saracens confirmed as well.

anagallis_arvensis

Apparently Ryan needs surgery on ankle ligaments. Much as I think he’s a great player and a great man on top of it I do think theres something karmic about him not playing in the play off game. It seems wrong to parachute such a player in just for the playoffs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, just heard he’s unlikely to play. Can’t see Brizzle turning that one around – it’ll be a good atmosphere until it becomes apparent they’re not going to do it anyway. 🙂

tinybits
    Free Member

Jim Hamilton to Saracens? That’s a pack that didn’t need a hard man of that calibre!

Brizzle have spent a lot of money over the last couple of months. Not too sure what they are going to do if they fail to qualify!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Bad news from Ulster. Ferris has to call it a day. The same ankle has gone again and it looks like the advice is to retire.

I’ll miss the way in which the big man played the game.

Some highlights:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPsBUAQO2k

All the best Fez

anagallis_arvensis

Thats been coming hasnt it. Great player and a big loss. Hope he finds something to be successful at again.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Unfortunately it has. Maybe he can teach our young back rows a thing or two

Pigface
    Free Member

There is an article in the NZ Herald about Shontayne Hape and why he had to quit rugby, sobering and scary stuff. I can’t link it but some one may be able to. Well worth reading.

anagallis_arvensis

ALES SQUAD

Forwards:

Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Bath), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Cardiff Blues), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (capt, Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), Dan Baker (Ospreys).

Backs:

Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhodri Williams (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Steven Shingler (Scarlets), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Jordan Williams (Scarlets), Matthew Morgan (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Backrow weak

anagallis_arvensis

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11264856

Shocking stuff, people need to wake up and make changes

duckman

I saw that on twitter,poor sod. Far too much pressure put on players,wonder if it will take an NFL type lawsuit to change attitudes. In other news,Big Jim Hamilton to sarries,dunno how he will fit in with their game.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s bad news about The Fez. I’d rather see him hang up the boots when it suits him.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cheers AA much appreciated

DezB
    Free Member

There is an article in the NZ Herald about Shontayne Hape and why he had to quit rugby, sobering and scary stuff. I can’t link it but some one may be able to. Well worth reading.
    I was only wondering what had happened to him the other day. Shame, such a good player.

Am I the only one watching the final? Rather tense, eh?!

anagallis_arvensis

Not watching, hate both teams. Farrel injury sounds funny (as long as its not a serious injury).

Jamie
    Free Member

Blimey.

allthepies
    Free Member

😯

Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.