Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • 2011 Orange Five SE £4,400 !!!!
  • cycleworlduk
    Free Member

when the pro went upto £2800 i thought we’d sell hardly any…its my best selling orange in only a couple of months…orange themselves were also worried as to how sales would be affected due to the price rise and its had no effect(in fact the opposite has happened hence the 4 week leadtime at the mo)

i sell hardly any five s’s as most guys have done the research and will go upto the pro…weve probably sold 4 se’s since ive been a dealer(4years)not a big part of their market..

i still think they present very good value for money…try building a intense tracer for less than 4400..if you dont like em dont buy one and tell everyone on here once a month.. 😆

my LBS 2p worth

funkynick

I’m having trouble working on their maths… as if the frame price of £1400 is correct, then I can’t seem to find £3k of extra cost in there…

The 2011 groupset seems to be coming in at about £900 or so on pre-order.

The forks are probably what, £1k at the very most.

So, that leaves about £1100 for some wheels, in this case 819s on Hope (£260), some brakes (Hope X2 Race – £300?).

So, where does about £500 go on the rest of the bits?

Wouldn’t it just be cheaper to buy the bits and build it yourself? I always thought that it was generally cheaper buying a complete bike than doing it yourself…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not really sure whats been said before on this – but its a fair old price hike, i guess if you could stretch to that sort of money then you shouldnt even be quibbling about the price anyways….

but i genuinely believe that you could build that bike up for a hell of a lot less than than that price tag with pretty much the same spec….ok so maybe have to ditch the xtr new cranks or the hope brakes (which i dont like anwyays) and do a few custom bargain quality bits (elixir cr carbon brakes onone etc) and i reckon you would easily get a nice 5 from the frame up for easily under 3 grand! and mine below if i was to build a custom spec wise it probably wouldnt be much off there se!

frame – 1400
    forks – 500ish (grabbing some bargain fox, or even rochshox maxle ones)
    wheels xm819s on pro2 – 300ish
    xtr chainset – 9 speeds all below – 290ish
    xtr rear mech – 100ish
    xtr front mech – 50ish
    xtr shifters – 120 ish
    xtr brakes – 300 ish
    xt cassette / chain – 60 ish
    xtr pedals – 80ish
    hope headset – 50ish
    thomson stem – 60ish
    easton bars – 80ish
    mud x tyres – 40ish
    thomson seat post – 60ish
    fizik gobi seat – 50ish
    skewers – 40ish
    hope rotors – 60ish

thats 3560 grand!

not sure if ive missed any thing, and mines is with pedals 😆

3500 custom build for a very similar specced as there 4499….only major difference being xtr 2011 compared to the 2010 9 speed stuff ive just included

ianpinder
    Free Member

So you should be comparing it to 2010 prices and not 2011 prices.

j_me
    Free Member

So, where does about £500 go on the rest of the bits

headset,stem,bars,grips,seatpost,saddle,bottom bracket,pedals,tyres,reflectors

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah i agree, just saying that if i had that sort of money id gladly save 1000quid and run the xtr 9 speed stuff…..nothing else is different…..guess they have to as new xtr is dearer, but im just stating i wouldnt spend 4500 on it when i could build up and equally as good machine with the same spec and pocket the 1000quid!

i undertand your point though dont get me wrong, just if i had that sort of cash that would defo be a custom build jobby for me

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ian thats a 2009 model 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ian thats a 2009 model 😆

the custom one i did would be pretty much 2011 components (less forks) and the frame would be a 2011 not 2009!

ianpinder
    Free Member

Yup agree with you there, if I’m spending £4400 on an orange 5 I would hand pick the part myself, on the other hand that build makes my custom look cheap, and my frame was only £500 more then the orange 😈

funkynick

Headset… about £60 for a Hope?
    Seatpost and stem about £100 for the pair..
    Bars.. can’t find a price but I’d guess about £100
    Tyres.. maybe £100 if they are fancy-pants tyres or £60 for the tyres that are on there..

Pedals will be cheapie flats I would imagine, if it has any at all…

Bottom bracket comes with the chainset as it’s HTII

So, that’s £140 for grips and saddle then… oh, and some cables…

That’s all assuming that you can’t get the fork for cheaper than £1k as well… a quick google suggests it’s available for about £700.. so that’s another £300 to spend…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah same here, even if i had 4400 to spend id still custom build it to be honest as i dont like hope brakes, and id gladly take 2010 xtr stuff anyways, as thats a pretty amazing drive train 🙂

Arcticdan
    Free Member

People seem to be missing a couple of obvious points on here:

1. Things get more expensive year-on-year (fact)!
    2. Orange take some of the pain away from the buyer, i.e. they source all the parts, screw them together as a bike and send it pretty much ready to ride – surely worth a couple of quid?
    3. If your going to ride XTR do you really need a maxle, XTR is for XC Jey work, if you need a maxle then potentially your buying the wrong groupset?
    4. Orange are a quality UK outfit, I’ve had the privilege to ride with Steve (one of the co-owners), a top bloke, who’s only interest is make top notch bikes….. not making a mint from us the consumer!
    5. As others have pointed out there are a lot of other brands making bikes in this category which are more expensive!

It is what it is, either pay or spend several days of your life searching for bits 20p cheaper!

ianpinder
    Free Member

Fully agree with you, apart from xtr being an xc jey groupset, shimano wouldn’t like that.

m970 cranks are pleanty strong enough for all mountain work, so are the shifters, and the rear mech is no weaker. the only bit which wasn’t really powerfull enough were the brakes. However they have rectified this with the new groupset. So yes, I would get the maxle.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

ian – going back in time a bit; I’ve had 819’s on my Orange for about 3 years. They are stright and true. I tried a set of Flows on my Alpine, and they collapsed at Kiroughtree last week. I’ve never collapsed a wheel in 20 years, and these went after 2 weeks. The spokes have pulled out of the bed, and they have gone back under warranty.

But if they are the best rim you can get, I’ll be sticking to Mavic for a bit longer. And I have a triple ring set up on my Alpine, I’m not going double and bash because the fashion police say I should.

nickc

We really ought to put the rim debate to bed really. Mavic DT Stans, all these rims will give you decent wheels. Mostly wheel strength comes from the build rather than the choice of rim. OK some rims are a bit heavier than others. Outside of racing it makes no real difference. Doubtless Orange could have specced a different rim but 819 are reliable and a name everyone is familiar with. It’s a top end specced bike with a less than top end price ( in comparison to similar bikes from Trek and Giant)

merc350
    Free Member

And Merc350, the fault is with the Maxle lite axles being tapered inside the Hope hub. Nothing to do with the frame. The Maxle lite axles have now had a re design and are now parallel to eliminate axle failures.

Thanks for clearing that up

Ewan
    Free Member

Hmmm, seems a tad over priced – I recall when Orange weren’t a boutique brand, more a good value brand. Seems like they’ve decided to change their market segment whilst doing very little to their designs.

Fundamentally there isn’t much difference between a 5 and a Heckler, but the 5 costs 50% more. If anything, I’d say the Santa Cruz had a bit more bling factor…

That said, i quite fancy a blood…

Blower
    Free Member

havent the new range of Santa Cruz’s gone up in price again?

Ewan
    Free Member

Nope – Heckler is 900 quid for 2011.

takisawa2

I dont think its expensive. Its specced for the sort who want a bike dripping with the best. You could add another £1k & it would still sell. Orange will have paid more attention to the mid range model spec & price. You’ll always get folk who buy on bling not function or need, and they are just offering a product for that sector. To some degree the bottom spec would probably be treated the same way, its a price point they need to offer a product at. They know your typical 5 buyer will want decent kit, but not xtr level.
    Be nice to have one though. 🙂

Blower
    Free Member

Right,but the Heckler is frame only now right? frame cheaper yes,but dont do full build.

Ewan
    Free Member

Well you can buy a build from Jungle if you want. My point was more that Orange used to be good value, but now they’re not.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Orange have never been known for good value, but are known for being a top quality and well thought out product. I think the price is fair for the kit involved. If you want to bud your own then so be it, but orange an the dealers need ti make a decent margin on such high value investments. All IMO

backhander
    Free Member

I really like orange bikes, I love them.
    Si, have you seen the spec on the Lapierre zesty 914?
    There is just no way the 5 SE compares at that price point! That is what a £4.5-5K bike should be, not a common frame with generic OEM forks, mid-range wheels (at best) and underpowered brakes.
    Sorry man, orange need to do a lot more for their customer IMO.

bol

What cycleworlduk says demonstrates that Orange have got their marketing strategy spot on. This is something called “goldilocks pricing” – the expensive one is too excessive, the cheap one too basic, but the middle one is just right. That way they get to sell a whole lot more Pros, and people aren’t as concerned when the price of that goes up, as long as there is a slightly bigger gap between it and the expensive one. It’s basic marketing and it works a treat. Debates like this help sales of the Pro too – I wonder whether the OP works for them 😉

myheadsashed

I like the way everyones totally the cost up – but nobody is including profit, overheads etc

If they didn’t make money they wouldn’t be around now……..

Also look at the increases on something light a 5 spot £1300 a few years back now a £2000 frame……..it’s all going up that’s life.

myheadsashed

I have heard this as well from a mate who develops prototypes for orange and another mate came across it in a forum. They have had a problem with the rear maxle causing frame failures on their prototypes…

That’s why they make prototypes……………they don’t use the public as guinea pigs 🙄

Protos cost money to make etc etc

si-wilson
    Free Member

IMO the orange is better built frame than the lappierre, though I’m sure others will prefer the lappierre package.

backhander
    Free Member

I don’t disagree si. There’s no getting around the fact that lapierre have sold a LOT of bikes in the last few years.

si-wilson
    Free Member

getting around the fact that lapierre have sold a LOT of bikes in the last few years.

For sure they are good bikes, just like the previous everyones favourite brand commencal, guess what both brands have in common? Very big backing from large distributors and marketing budgets to suit.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

myheadsashed – I’m so glad that someone has actually mentioned the whole ‘profit’ bit.

Prototypes, Promotional items, trade stands, advertising… all this costs money, doesnt just come out of thin air.

STW does seem to spawn ignorant people 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

marketing budgets to suit.

Quite, and generally lots of ads in the bike mags = very good reviews.
    And whats this about profit? The parts listed and priced above aren’t trade prices you know.

igm

If I had a fiver for every post on here I could have one of those Fives – in a nice colour too.

martinxyz
    Free Member

::has a chuckle at the “sittin in it rather than on it” talk and pictures my grandma sitting on a Z-Bed we once had::

I wont tell you what happened as it will just open up another can of worms!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that it doesnt cost Orange £1400 to make a 5 frame and I’m pretty sure that they dont pay retail prices for their components.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The spec that I specced & got.

taxi25
    Free Member

EGF
    You just proved the point ! You’ve got a great bike for £3336 at well under the component cost. The Se at £4400 seems to be over component cost!!!!! Go figure

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I haven’t actually read all the posts but…there ya go!

grantway
    Free Member

LOL £ 1400 is the recommended retail price!
    Not the manufacturing price,So yer dont cost £ 1,400 to make
    Think you answered your own question there

ChrisA
    Free Member

I would have thought a manufacturer will aim for 40% contribution minimum, they will also be buying at oem not retail.

Thing for me is that even if I spent £4400 on an off the peg bike. I still wouldn’t be satisfied and would feel the need to change bits.

It’s not the price tag that bothers me, for me, it’s just what else I could get for my cash and when the economy is the way it is, I think many people would struggle to justify that price.

However, saying all that, I was looking at road bikes the other day and some of them are serious cash too.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘2011 Orange Five SE £4,400 !!!!’ is closed to new replies.