Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 2011 anthem 29er price…
  • StuMcGroo
    Free Member

… so it’s on sale in oz for au$3499 which according to expedia today is 2097 of our english pounds. official giant uk launch at the belfry last week… £2950! wtf? 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

is that 3499 before or after GST in oz ?

2950 is the final ticket price inclusive of all taxs

shortcut

Yeah. Want one bet defo not at that price. The spesh ones are the same!

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

au$3499 is rrp from giant australia website… says it may be cheaper in some areas depending on transit costs.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i did a comparison a month or so ago with the 2010 oz range against ours, can’t remember which model i highlighted (and 2010 bikes are now deleted) but basically a au$3500 rrp oz bike was on sale in the uk for £2200 rrp (identical spec), so the £2950 must be down to giant thinking it’s gonna be a big market and they want to cash in! fair play but at that price my cash is staying in my pocket 😐

psychle
    Free Member

Aussie dollar is silly strong right now, and forecast to get stronger (unfortunately for us expats 🙁 ), whereas the pound is stupidly weak… wouldn’t that have something to do with it? You can’t just do a straight comparison can you?

krixmeister
    rOcKeTdOg

they should make it cheap enough so you can afford to buy spectacles to see how ugly it really is 😉

it’s gonna be a big market

maybe on this niche loving forum, but in the real world not many people have heard of them as you can’t buy them in Tescos for £50, price reflects the opposite imho, it’s the fact that they won’t sell many so arn’t mass producing them or importing many as they’ll be left with them at the end of the year

gothandy

I mortgaged a couple of the kids and bought a tallboy, I was really worried Giant were going to release an equivalent 29er for half the price.

Agree with rOcKeTdOg given it is a niche I think they will be pitching the price high. Also they will have looked at the market and most of the full suss 29er are currently eye watering-ly expensive.

Suspect it will take a year or two of early adopters paying through the nose before prices start coming down.

paul78
    Free Member

No idea why we are having to pay a premium for 29ers… the bulk of the US market of bikes above $800 is now apparently 29ers so the bikes are being produced.

Distributors in the UK however aren’t shipping them as bike shops aren’t ordering them.

These bikes aren’t niche.. in fact the whole ‘niche’ thing is banded about way too often.. there is no real norm in this industry as its so progressive.

Maybe 29ers aren’t for the UK market.. I’m sticking with mine though as its suits my riding and racing.

clubber
    Free Member

the bulk of the US market of bikes above $800 is now apparently 29ers so the bikes are being produced.

I keep hearing things like this but is it REALLY true – I just find it hard to believe. Anything to actually document that?

tegski
    Free Member

Come for a holiday…buy a bike and ride…take the bike back home. All for the cost of a bike in the UK! The $3499 includes tax (maybe you can get back the 10% GST if you take it back to the UK…) I have noticed that some things are silly cheap and some silly expensive here and in the UK…try buying spare parts here in Australia – most keen people shop with internet from the UK – so maybe everything can’t be cheap for you guys!
    29er seems good value here – Anthem X1 is $500 more.

gothandy

paul78 niche might be the wrong word, but take the 90k Levington Blast (Rob Dean won the Set2Rise on the same basic course this year on his tallboy) … 400 riders and I think I saw 2 29ers in total (including mine). Got plenty of people asking me about the bike and saying “I really must get a 29er” etc. so there seems to be more and more acceptance but not adoption in the UK … yet.

Must admit I thought Giant were going to change the game a bit but looks like they will bottle it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

is it the same spec? last time i had a giant, the uk/aus specs were completely different.

as for 29ers in the uk. they don’t import them because no one buys them – but that’s because no one imports them!! silly distros!

Bream
    Free Member

Can you actually buy a frameset only anywhere in the world just now?

paul78
    Free Member

Facts on the US market came from ATB Sales..

The Marin range as with many others in the US contains a good range of 29ers.

It is a strange situation that the 29er market in the UK is stuck due to shops playing it safe and not ordering any in.

gothandy, I agree that I rarely see any 29ers at events but then I look at the US events and there are not many choosing 26 over 29 to race endurance… everyone that tries my bike is impressed at how well they ride..

They definately are not for everyone but there should be fair opportunity to choose when shopping for a bike in a shop… although On One have been campaigning with an affordable 29er for years.. the UK may never get involved.

thomthumb
    Free Member

yep people always talk about mine, want a go etc. i’d say most of them are impressed.

tegski
    Free Member

Re popularity – about 20% of XC racers in Canberra already have them according to my LBS. All 10 of the Anthem 29ers alloted to the shop were sold 2 weeks before any stock hit the floor. Next delivery Christmas! Only a slight problem…had them for 3 days and then they were recalled. Giant has provided me with a nice 26er Anthem X2 as a loaner in the meantime…hopefully 29er to be back in time for the 24hr Solo Worlds in 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see how many of the 400 racers there have 29ers! (and the 2000 team riders) I guess that will tell someone something about popularity.

rootes1

was hoping that they would do a range of 29er anthem as diff price points as per 26er version…

not paying £3K for one however much I would like one.

MrTall
    Free Member

The 29er thing will always struggle whilst the shops don’t have them in to try. Most of my local shops have no 29ers at all, let alone a demo. Only Chevin in Leeds seem to have a decent display and testers available.

Having said that, my LBS just took delivery of a 19″ 2011 ‘Trek’ Paragon 29er in size 19″ as a tester and it came out with us on Weds night. The chap who rode it ordered one the next day so maybe the demand would be greater if the availability was better. Despite only having had it 48hrs there are already 5 people lining up to test ride it.

Hopefully prices will fall somewhat if the popularity grows?

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

hmmm, some good points there except for rOcKeTdOgs ugly comment 😉

anyway, wasn’t really a direct comaprison psychle just using giants own prices which i think i pretty valid.

good idea about the free holiday tegski

bream yes you can, several in fact, i like niners which i thought were expensive but if the anthem 29er is the benchmark i reckon you can get pretty close building your own bike up… and it’s more fun 😀

paul78
    Free Member

I think the Salsa Spearfish is gonna be worth a few months wait.. on paper looks to be a fantastic bike at an unbelievable price.. sub $1000 frame.

…90k Levington Blast…400 riders and I think I saw 2 29ers in total (including mine)…

Was the other one a Lynskey being ridden by a rather handsome chap in Vegan Cyclists kit heckling the 26er riders on the singletrack by any chance ? 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

The uk spec anthem is different to the aussie spec and the photo in the giant catalogue-it specs non FIT fork,deore brakes,deore hubs on non dt rims and SLX drivetrain…for £3000!!!
    Was going to pre order one….will get new frame instead now,just got to decide between niner air carbon or salsa selma ti.Was’nt convinced by gears and bounce anyhoo.
    http://www.issuu.com/giant_uk_brochure/docs/my2011_giant_online_brochure
    Page 69

tegski
    Free Member

Rorschach – Come to Aus – free holiday with up-speced bike! I can introduce you to a great LBS! And you get Mt Stromlo to ride around…! 🙂
    I agree – your UK price does seem a bit steep.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Stu McGroo – i reckon you can get pretty close building your own bike up… and it’s more fun

as i said this i thought i’d see if it was possible. getting uk prices off the internet and not digging too deep this is what i came up with; niner jet 9 frame (inc.fox shock and headset), rockshox rebas, race face stem, post and bars, superstar spacers, ragley clamp, dt swiss rims and spokes, bontrager mud x tyres and tubes, slx hubs and groupset, m595 brakes, superstar grips, charge saddle and dmr v8’s all for £2878.30 there might be 2 or 3 p&p’s to add in and i’d need to get the wheels built up but looks good value compared to an off-the-peg giant…i.m.o. 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘2011 anthem 29er price…’ is closed to new replies.