Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can you camp at Kirroughtree?
  • Horse
    Free Member

Looking at going up Friday night and camping in/near to the car park, can this be done? 2 tents, gone Saturday morning.

trail_rat
    Free Member

foresty boot will be down on you like a tonne of bricks …. they really dont like it – i got a crock of shit for sleeping in my car !

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

glentrool up the road def has one.

Horse
    Free Member

ok, ta for that, will have a shufty on line

Greybeard
    Free Member

It's in Scotland, wild camping is permitted by the Scottish Land Reform Act so long as you comply with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code – which isn't difficult (Just Google it). Unless they have a had byelaws passed to prevent camping (which is very unlikely) they can't stop you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its Scotland – you can camp wherever you want so long as it is reasonable

CraigW
    Free Member

But they could ban overnight parking if they wanted to.

meehaja
    Free Member

Gave me no grief at Ae, I was subtle about it, but was parked in the car park opposite the forestry office with people coming and going all night.

mick_r

Frustratingly the black route actually rides past the old FC campsite – on your right after McMoab / before crossing the road to heartbreak hill.

Anyone know why they shut it??? (apart from midge fest in summer). Fond(?) memories of an October Polaris starting from there where it was -7C both nights.

Actually – I don't think there is a gate on the forest road up there and have seen cars parked by McMoab – can you not just drive up there to camp with no hassles?

old_mtber
    Free Member

There are no FC campsites in the area. The Glentrool site was closed after the foot and mouth crisis and the Talnotry some time before that. Very shortsighted given that the FC is keen to promote tourism etc! The nearest small site is in Glentrool village which has a small camping ground next to the caravans. Even better is the House o' Hill pub nearby which is now under new management and is ace. There are some other sites a bit further out which I have never stayed at though so can't really comment.

kevonakona
    Free Member

glentrool campsite has more signs telling you not to do stuff than i like in a site. Know a very good rough camp area in the vicinity.

Trekster

TandemJeremy – Member
    Its Scotland – you can camp wherever you want so long as it is reasonable

Add to that responsible.

FE.C do not really mind people camping in or around the forest so long as they are "responsible"
    At certain times of the year lighting fires is NOT very responsible, leaving loads of litter is NOT very responsible.

Hence they are not keen to or encourage camping.

The 7Stanes project was set up on the back of re-generation post F&M to encourage stuff like campsites to be set up in and around the area. To then set up their own would not be playing the game.
    It is proving difficult to encourage farmers to do this due to cost and D&G planners being jobsworths!!!
    There was and is no money/resources/staff to facilitate and maintain camp sites.

For 1 night just do it. 10@ Kirry used the "feild" just along from the car park.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can you camp at Kirroughtree?’ is closed to new replies.