Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 2006 Stumpy with 140mm Fork?
  • 10pmix
    Free Member

Hello oh knowledgeable ones!

Can my 06 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR take a 140mm fork without too much stress? It came with 130mm but has since been fitted with 100mm which I want to change to a Fox 32 Talas but these nowadays are 140mm. How radical is 10mm more? If you think its a terrible idea then can you suggest a 130mm fork?

Thanks

Trailseeker
    Free Member

No problem, mate of mine had Pikes on his for over a year & he didn't die.

stumpyjon

My 07 has 140mm 32 TALAS on it which it came with. Don't think there was a massive geometry change between the two frames (probably none).

10mm doesn't make a huge difference either way. I think the frame suits 120mm best unless you have the option to change travel which is why the 100 – 120 – 140 TALAS works so well on it.

TheWhyteFox
    Free Member

Check that the change in fork travel doesn't affect the frame warranty.

Some say it will…others say it won't.

ross980
    Free Member

I put 140mm Fox Vanillas on my '05 Stumpjumper 120. Loads better downhill, complete PITA on very steep (i.e. 1st gear) climbs though as the forks have no adjustment and the front end becomes very light. Overall it's worth it though (an old toe clip strap can comes in handy for compressing the forks – probably not recommended but it works!)

Regarding frame warranty – surely if the frame broke you'd remove the (potentially oversized) forks and everything else before you took the frame back to the shop – how would they ever know?

EDIT – just re-read the OP. You'll have adjustable travel so it'll be fine

10pmix
    Free Member

100-120-140 Talas all the way then. Thanks! I picked the bike up cheap as a spare 3rd MTB but I've been amazed how well it handles. The final fork tweak will promote it to my everyday trail bike I think.
    Not sure warranty is an issue given that I am the third or perhaps fourth owner.

glenp
    Free Member

I've got an '06 FSR120. The forks are TALAS with max extension of 130mm and the old style adjuster that gives 3mm increments. Much better than the 20mm steps, because you can just fine-tune it to the feel you want and then leave it. Anyway, I like it on 120mm and going to 130mm loses a bit of sharpness to the steering – so I would not recommend 140mm.

Unlike the current fashion, I personally do not agree that slacker is better, necessarily. If I needed new forks I would be looking for 120mm, and not bother with TALAS.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘2006 Stumpy with 140mm Fork?’ is closed to new replies.