Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • 2000 calories, in 3 meals, for £5 per day?
  • ton

breakfast, dinner and tea. roughly 2000 calories between all three, for a fiver a day.

is it possible.
    and ideas greatly appreciated.

brakes
    Free Member

porridge oats for breakfast.
    some combination of pasta, rice, tuna, tinned tomatoes, garlic, onions, spinach for lunch and dinner.

BoardinBob

Lots of pasta

Would be crap though

timidwheeler

Yes easy.
    Lentils are your friend here and big bags of flour from an Asian supermarket or the World foods isle. Big bags of oats are cheap.

jambourgie
    Free Member

About ten tins of corned beef?

Could mould them into bonbon sized balls and eat them throughout the day.

Damn! Why didn’t I think of this before?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Lots of pasta would put you way of 2000 calories. Unless you had 2000 calories worth I guess 😀

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Tin of beans for breakfast.

Tin of beans for lunch.

Tin of tuna and mushy peas for dinner.

And probably lots of wind.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, R’n’L- rice and lentils all the way

Daffy

Porridge for breakfast (<80p), Cheese (also to be used later for pasta) sandwich for lunch (<£1) and pasta for dinner (Pasta, olives, chicken, tomatoes (~£2.20). 2 Pints of milk for drinks/porridge (0.60p) leaving just enough (over a week) for salt/pepper/herbs, etc.

rmgvtec
    Free Member

Back to basics, plenty of vegetables, potatoes, oats, pasta, rice, bread, milk, eggs.
    Cook up massove joints of meat and use that for other meals etc. Find packaging factories, locally to myself we have a moy park and recently bought 5kg of cooked chicken breast for a fiver…

If you’re just cooking for yourself make 2 portions for your evening meal and reheat the spare portion for lunch the next day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

go vegan buy beer with the change 😉
    2 kg of lentils is £3 5kg of rice is £5 Some mixed veg and some onions some spices

Carrot cake – about £3 gets you about 5 big cakes probably 2000 calories in that as well
    Pancakes cost pence to make and are lovely – add fruit if you have it
    Pasties – home made – again flour is dirt cheap and calorie dense I make potato based curry ones

I have to say I definetly dont spend £5 per day on food

Jack monroes food blog will do you – she is vegan now but was not at the start

CraigW
    Free Member

Add plenty of vegetable oil to everything. Gives you about 2000 calories for 25p.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Jambourgie, you haven’t bought corned beef for a while eh?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Porridge for breakfast (<80p)

That is a lot to eat in one sitting about 60 p for a 500 g bag for the cheap stuff

Oh rice pudding as well is dirt cheap to make and calorie dense

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure I probably do this most days, but I’ve never counted a calorie in my life.

km79
    Free Member

It’s perfectly doable and will be easier if you stick with fresh produce and homemade meals.

Breakfast – think porridge, scrambled eggs, yogurt & fruit (big bag of frozen fruit), smoothies
    Lunch – think homemade lentil soup, choice of protein and salad
    Dinner – think stir fry for quick meals, casseroles, stews and anything you fancy that can be bulk cooked and portioned.

On that sort of budget and low calories (for a big guy) then if you focus on getting in your required amount of protein into your menu for the day, just bulk the rest of your calories out with as much inexpensive vegetables as you can. Carrots, onions, spring greens and courgettes are all good. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice are all good to add for carbs. I would stay away from pasta, too much calories for not enough fill IMHO.

One of my favourite meals is just a chicken breast sliced on the angle into three pieces placed on top of a load of sliced chunky veg such as carrots, courgettes and sweet potatoes with some olive oil drizzled over, some black pepper and herbs and roasted in the oven. Doesn’t costs much, well under 500 calories and most importantly for a big guy is actually quite filling.

You can make a big pot of lentil & vegetable soup – one very large onion, three or four sticks of celery, four or five large carrots, two courgettes (or swap for something else), 350g red lentils, can of chopped tomatoes and make up to 4.5 litres with stock. I do this on a Sunday, portion into seven plastic tubs, three in fridge and four in freezer and that is my lunch sorted for seven days for pennies.

If you need help tracking your intake and what calories are in what foods I can recommend Nutracheck.co.uk – it was an eyeopener for me and it helped me drop about 8 stone a few years ago.

bedmaker

90g bag of Mr Porky scratchings.

One for brekky, another for lunch and two for dinner. £4.40 2216 cals.
    That leaves 60p worth of White lightning to get some carbs in.

singletrackmind

Jacket Potatoes with various fillings will easily make up the calories.

Brekkie .- Porridge with Granola , Bananas, apple, golden syrup, hot chocolate powder.

Hang on . either I am being thick, or I have not read the question properly. Are you trying to diet to keep below 2000cal as a dietry aid? Or trying to keep your food spend below a certain £££ per week? Protein intake is tricky to do very cheaply
    Decent weight meals without thousands of calories then its veg all the way.

Look at Kcl per 100gm of foodstuffs as a quick and simple aid . Anything less than 100kcl per 100grams is great at filling you up without fattening you up.

alanl
    Free Member

£5 a day – £35 a week?
    I do that pretty much every week.
    Shop cheap (that doesnt mean nasty shite).
    Heron Foods stores are well cheap if you have one near to you – think Farm Foods but cheaper.
    Dont bother with supermarkets as you’ll be tempted to buy more stuff you dont really need. B+M have some good deals, Poundstretcher are good for timmed stuff (or is it Poundland?)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

for a fiver a day.

Are you poor now Ton?

About ten tins of corned beef?

Even Aldi’s CB is over £1.80 a tin.

chilled76
    Free Member

Porridge.

Fruits for 11am snack

Tin of something on toast (beans, ravioli, tomatoes) for lunch or a cheese sandwich.

Jacket potato with half a tin of tuna and some salad for tea.

Buy veg and fruit in bulk. Should be about on budget and pretty nutritious.

bob_summers

Pasties – home made – again flour is dirt cheap and calorie dense I make potato based curry ones

CITE

I mean, recipe please Junkyard 😉

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not a popular shout as its probably not the healthiest choice, but good old fashioned bread works pretty well.
    £1 loaf gets you a couple of days sandwiches when freshest and a couple of days toast for breakfast.

Day 1/2 porridge, sandwiches, mash/pasta/rice + meat&veg
    Day 3/4 toast, tuna+couscous, mash/pasta/rice + meat&veg
    repeat mixing up evening meal as you see fit

spooky_b329

Loadsa ideas on the BBC food website, using the 300-500 calorie meals section I can do a 1600 calorie day fairly easily.

After using it for a couple of weeks I was surprised to find that I hadn’t had a pasta based meal which is normally a staple in my meals…lots of tomatoes, onions, peppers seem to be the base of many recipes.

Choosing the ones that can be frozen or reheated will help with the £5 a day, they also have a section with all the meals on a budget.

chvck
    Free Member

For a slightly wildcard answer that is likely to be unpopular Huel.

kelron
    Free Member

2 packs of Tescos flapjack is about 3000 calories for £1.60. Easy.

chewkw
    Free Member

£25 to £35 per week is more than enough with all the necessary protein.

😛

leffeboy
    cheekyboy
    Free Member

Tripe is pretty cheap

chewkw
    Free Member

5 kg rice will last a while. 🙂

tomhoward

I like food, I wouldn’t impose any of those restrictions.

sbob
    Free Member

Batch cooking it’s a doddle.
    I experimented once seeing how cheaply I could live. £6,000 per annum covered it.
    That’s shopping the evening before the supermarket gets restocked to get the best bargains (mince at 23p per 500g pack for example) and various other tactics.
    I was eating massive portions of chili, rice and pitta for less than 50p a go.
    Doable, but not that much fun.

retro83
    Free Member

Easy peasy.

Two packs of 5 Jam donuts from tesco.

225 cal per donut, and only 65p for five. £1.30 a day job done

newrobdob
    Free Member

I experimented once seeing how cheaply I could live. £6,000 per annum covered it.

😯

If your idea of cheap is £16.43 a day then I don’t think you’re qualified to answer the OP!

bails

If your idea of cheap is £16.43 a day then I don’t think you’re qualified to answer the OP!

Presumably that’s for everything, not just food.

miketually
    Free Member

We spend less than £140 a week for groceries for for of us, so £5 per day per person is easy.

The food bank that my wife runs looks for less than £15 per week per person for food spending to be eligible. For those people, the cost of turning the electric back on at the mains for running the microwave is more of an issue.

paulx
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned baking your own bread yet – this being STW and all that.

Works out a 70p / loaf using Waitrose organic flour or abut 50p / loaf using Supermarket flour. Tastes better than cheap supermarket bread too.

allfankledup

Bone in chicken thighs from Aldi are 1.79 for a kilo – we roast these in the oven on top of onions – cracking value and the kids demolish them. Mix up with salad and jacket spuds

miketually
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned baking your own bread yet – this being STW and all that.

Works out a 70p / loaf using Waitrose organic flour or abut 50p / loaf using Supermarket flour. Tastes better than cheap supermarket bread too.

How much to heat up the oven, and to heat water for washing up?

miketually
    Free Member

Toast sandwich at 7.5p per ‘meal’?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘2000 calories, in 3 meals, for £5 per day?’ is closed to new replies.