Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • 2000 calories, in 3 meals, for £5 per day?
  • ton

got it down to,

1 x bowl porridge

1 x cheese + pickle sandwich

1 x chicken and bean casserole or jacket potato and filling

leave enough for some fruit and a jar of coffee.

cheers

tomhoward

What about day 2?

jimjam
    Free Member

ton – Member

got it down to,

1 x bowl porridge

1 x cheese + pickle sandwich

1 x chicken and bean casserole or jacket potato and filling

leave enough for some fruit and a jar of coffee.

Why?

scotroutes

Friends of mine did a £1/day food thing for a month. Batch cooking was a big thing, getting supermarket bargains too. Some surprising finds – like pre-packed oven chips being cheaper than potatoes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How much cheesey pasta for a fiver? 5 boxes, that’s how much. Nom nom nom…

benp1

Can it be done, of course

Might it get boring unless you do some proper planning, hell yes

I’d prefer to enjoy the food, rather than see it as sustenance. Carbs are cheap too (potatoes, rice, bread, pasta)

scotroutes

How much cheesey pasta for a fiver? 5 boxes, that’s how much. Nom nom nom…

But what about lunch and dinner?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

lunge

Easily done, 2 of us eat on £70 per week without tying hard, with thought I could get that to under £50 easily enough. Batch cooking and Aldi being the keys for us.

footflaps

Quite easy with HUEL

Sizes – Vanilla

100g = 402 calories
    14,000 calories. ?28 meals at 500 cals each, this comes in 2 x 1.74kg pouches. Cost per meal is £1.60
    28,000 calories. ?56 meals at 500 cals each, this comes in 4 x 1.74kg pouches. Cost per meal is £1.54
    56,000 calories. ?112 meals at 500 cals each, this comes in 8 x 1.74kg pouches. Cost per meal is £1.47

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Huel = Gruel

sbob
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member

If your idea of cheap is £16.43 a day then I don’t think you’re qualified to answer the OP!

That’s all living expenses, including Cambridgeshire rent.

chvck
    Free Member

I’m tempted by Huel not as a regular thing but as a really cba meal or got in really late from a ride type meal. Anyone tried it?

footflaps

I’m tempted by Huel not as a regular thing but as a really cba meal or got in really late from a ride type meal.

likewise!

Not tried it though…

sbob
    Free Member

paulx – Member

Surprised no one has mentioned baking your own bread yet – this being STW and all that.

Works out a 70p / loaf using Waitrose organic flour or abut 50p / loaf using Supermarket flour. Tastes better than cheap supermarket bread too.

You can buy a whole loaf for 9-10p. Half in the freezer for toast, other half will keep.

One thing to look out for in supermarkets is when there is an offer for multiple purchases.
    When these are reduced for quick sale, the “buy 2, save £1” is often still live so it is quite possible to literally get paid to take food away.

sbob
    Free Member

chvck – Member

I’m tempted by Huel

I’m tempted by hard drugs and hot women.
    One of us is doing this wrong. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

I’m tempted by Huel not as a regular thing but as a really cba meal or got in really late from a ride type meal.

How does it compare to beans on toast, on cost, nutrition and ease of making?

scotroutes

avdave2

My breakfast sounds a bit like Huel,

Oats 100g
    Sunflower seeds
    Pumpkin seeds
    Linseed
    Sesame seeds
    Quinoa flakes
    Hemp seeds
    Cocoa powder
    Coffee
    Ginger
    Kale
    Water

All blended up. I usually make 5 to 10 at a time and freeze it. I still haven’t convinced anyone else to try it but I love it.

newrobdob
    Free Member

My breakfast sounds a bit like HuelHell,

FTFY

tomhoward

What newrobdob says. That sounds like a lot of effort to make something I’d rather be punched in the face than consume

Junkyard
    Free Member

I still haven’t convinced anyone else to try it but I love it.

remove the coffee and I would drink it

Hue is vegan but **** that I draw the line somewhere – would like to try it for bikepacking actually but not enough I will stump up £45 to see what it is like and you dont seem to be abe to get smaller amounts

tomhoward

Out of interest, how did you come up with the recipe? Did you make up a batch and think ‘you know what this needs? Linseed!’

Or did you just throw all that in a blender and hope for the (Relative term) best?

Junkyard
    Free Member

linseed has omega 3 in it so that is why that was added

anagallis_arvensis

Veg curry with home made chapatis.
    Veg stir fry with noodles.
    Veg chilli
    Veg with pasta

Porridge for breakie as said made with water not milk…

avdave2

I just made it up with what I had in. I forgot to say it also has a few raisins in it which does make quite a difference. The seed content sometimes differs slightly depending on what Infinity Foods have got in when I go in. The next batch will have buckwheat flakes instead of quinoa as they had some in last time I went in so i thought I’d give them a try. I’m not sure what it costs to make but 1KG of oats is a lot less than a pound in Lidl and that makes 10. I reckon I spend around £20-£25 on seeds and bits once every 2 months and the other bits are pretty cheap.

chvck
    Free Member

How does it compare to beans on toast, on cost, nutrition and ease of making?

Well, if you have a day’s worth of Huel it aims to fulfil all of your nutrition needs for the day. The bigger issue for me is that beans on toast aren’t an option unless I make the beans myself. I’m yet to see a tin of baked beans that aren’t really high in salt and I try to keep salt consumption low. This is the issue that I get with most options like that – they’re high in saturated fats and/or salt.

ransos
    Free Member

Jack monroes food blog will do you – she is vegan now but was not at the start

Best advice in the thread. She picks up on small details, for instance the cheapest way to buy haricot beans is to buy baked beans and rinse off the sauce.

brassneck

How much to heat up the oven, and to heat water for washing up?

Bread makers run cheap and barely need a rinse – bit of poking to get the bits out of the stirrer thingy.
    Love ours – you can make the bread exactly to your taste with less sugar and ingredients that keep well – living rurally its a god send. It’s the one appliance that hasn’t ended up in the ‘ice cream maker cupboard’.

philjunior
    Free Member

A lot of people have looked into doing £1 a day – prices have probably risen a bit since this blog was written, but calorie wise it shouldn’t be a problem.

http://supplementsos.com/blog/eat-healthily-for-1-pound-per-day-version-0-2/

The guy even considers problems like spoilage if you buy big value packs of fresh fruit/veg.

No need to thank me, I just dig out old blogs I remember reading.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘2000 calories, in 3 meals, for £5 per day?’ is closed to new replies.