Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2 x 10
  • chris-p
    Free Member

I am currently riding a scale 29er with an XT triple which is wearing out and would like to change for a double. My current set up is front d = slx fc m660 ( 34.9 ) 10 speed, rear XT RD 780 SGS 30 speed, shifters sox sl m660 – 10 rapid fire +. What do I need to purchase to make the change ?
    Thanks

thered

Just your chainset by the looks of it and flick the switch on the bottom of your shifter from 3x to 2x

chakaping
    Free Member

What chainring size are you going for?

Doing the same on a light XC-ish bike myself and considering 26/38.

(with 11-36 cassette)

Mister-P
    Free Member

M660 shifters don’t have the mode convertor switch on them, that is only on the newer M670 model.

You could just swap the chainset to a double and use the limit screws on the front mech. I would be tempted to buy a specific double front mech though. I would also consider swapping the rear mech to a medium cage but it is by no means neccessary.

chris-p
    Free Member

Thanks thered, not seen the switch on bottom of shifter, so that will sort out front derailleur and shifter ?
    chakaping, i am thinking double xt 26/38 which i think will be fine for xc racing ?

chris-p
    Free Member

Mister P, so you reckon new chain set, Shimano XT M786 10 Speed Double Front Mech – Conventional and use my M660 or do i need to change it ?

boysie
    Free Member

Recommend going 24/38 on your Scale 29er, dependent of course on how hilly it is were you are, and your rear cassette? 11/36? Best to have the correct front mech too.. I have 26/38 on my Scale and it’s great but I would like slightly lower gearing on the long uphill sections hence recommending 24

snakebite
    Free Member

11/36 rear and 26/38 front on my Remedy, fine for everything!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2 x 10’ is closed to new replies.