Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • 2 US TV Journalists Shot Dead On Air
  • GrahamS

In BritLand you have your way of life so that should be that if you prefer not to bear arms.

Gun Deaths Per 100,000 population per year:

United States: 10.64

BritLand: 0.26

Yeah I’m happy enough with our approach thanks!

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

In BritLand you have your way of life so that should be that if you prefer not to bear arms.

Gun Deaths Per 100,000 population per year:

United States: 10.64

BritLand: 0.26

Yeah I’m happy enough with our approach thanks! [/quote]

It’s the nature’s way of keeping in check the world population if you are willing to see it in another way.

Let’s hope you will fight back when your life or those of your family are under threat.

You can rationalise the origin of mankind and violence later one …

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

chewkw you need to go and live in America.

You could sleep (and masturbate) with a Bernoulli M7 every night and we’d get a good 5 hours before you post. I’d recommend the west coast though if you’re planning on doing it.

crazy-legs

Yes, guns might make it easier to carry out his/her intention but knife/machete would do the job too with a surprise attack.

Psychologically, its far harder to kill someone with a knife and also much more difficult to take down multiple targets in one attack. Close quarter armed combat is a completely different prospect than simply blatting off a few rounds from 100yds away.

chewkw
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    chewkw you need to go and live in America.

You could sleep (and masturbate) with a Bernoulli M7 every night and we’d get a good 5 hours before you post. I’d recommend the west coast though if you’re planning on doing it.

Too late, too old … they don’t me.

crazy-legs – Member

Yes, guns might make it easier to carry out his/her intention but knife/machete would do the job too with a surprise attack.

Psychologically, its far harder to kill someone with a knife and also much more difficult to take down multiple targets in one attack. Close quarter armed combat is a completely different prospect than simply blatting off a few rounds from 100yds away. [/quote]

True, true … but in this case it’s not 100 yards away but arm length away.

GrahamS

Let’s hope you will fight back when your life or those of your family are under threat.

Of course I would – that’s a silly thing to say.

Being happy with gun control doesn’t mean that I am against protecting my family. In fact that’s the main reason I am for it!

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Of course I would – that’s a silly thing to say.

Being happy with gun control doesn’t mean that I am against protecting my family. In fact that’s the main reason I am for it! [/quote]

Yes, in BritLand I agree.

In Merica that’s a different story.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

My understanding of this is that didn’t mean every George, Jeb and Cletus have the right to shoot whoever they may or may not think is about to steal their pickup, with a weapon capable of firing hundreds of rounds a minute. If you want to live by something over two hundred years old try arming yourself with something of a similar vintage. I know which I’d rather take my chances against.

CountZero

EDIT: Do you think that this feller would have been able to get close enough to kill two people today if he was only armed with a breadkinife?

Judging by the perp’s own camera footage, he could just as easily have used a machete, one good swing would have taken out the reporter and the cameraman, another the interviewee, a couple more to finish the job.
    Would have been pretty quiet, too; no gunshots to alert anyone.
    And he was a crap shot, too; seven or eight shots to kill two people a metre or so away?

moose
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, I know a few guys that could take your head off with an old musket or rifle at a good 100m+. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Keep guns for killing small tasty animals? Fine.
    Spend time in the backwoods of Montana and need one for defense against bears etc? Fine.
    Keep a Desert Eagle in your bedside drawer for “home defense”? You’re a batshitmentalist.

American gun culture scares me, and I’m pro gun ownership! (For the aforementioned tasty animal purpose, or target/clay shooting). Once saw a couple of young men in a “sports” shop in Tennessee comparing handguns, including a Desert Eagle, by posing with them in the mirror. Yep. A mirror in the gun department. One said, while posing, “I think this one is more me”. Wish I’d repeatedly punched him. And then kicked him.

GrahamS

And he was a crap shot, too

According to the news he shot himself but is still alive.

So yeah, crap shot!

moose
    Free Member

@Flash, no need for such a hand cannon. My dad swore by his 1911 when we lived in SA for a while. That and his Remington in the car.

I’ve grown up around weapons of various sizes and have used them whilst serving, never felt the need to own one in the UK though. However hypothetically, if there was a lifting of restrictions and more people had access, I may change my mind.

Thing is with shooting people, unless you drill and drill and drill, you’ll be all over the place, more so if you’re a little bit mental. Once the adrenaline starts pumping rounds go bloody everywhere. The reality is most people wouldn’t have the time to develop that kind of discipline, so the comment about passengers being armed on the French train, it would have been carnage if a bunch of people pulled out handguns and started shooting.

Interesting thing I read about the second amendment, it’s there to protect people from federal interference. the states can impose the rules they see fit. So if they say you can only own a single shot .22, best suck it up.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@graham suicides skew those figures quite a lot

@Graham he was reported dead hours ago.

You can’t take guns away from Americans, there are already far too many in circulation. If you try you’ll just take the guns away from the average legal owner and all the illegally held weapons will remain.

Plenty of countries have guns in widespread ownership like Canada and Switzerland which don’t see the same levels of gun crime. It’s a more complex problem than just the guns

Junkyard
    Free Member

He is dead and has been for a few hours

Why would anyone watch the footage let alone the gunmans footage ?
    Rhetorical please dont answer that

GrahamS

If you want to live by something over two hundred years old try arming yourself with something of a similar vintage.

It would be poor taste to post Jim Jefferies brilliantly cutting routine about gun control which mentions that exact point (and many other), but do google it if you feel the need to lighten the mood.

jimjam
    Free Member

CountZero

And he was a crap shot, too; seven or eight shots to kill two people a metre or so away?

One handed, holding a phone in the other it seems. Have you ever fired a semi-automatic hand gun? I have, and it’s actually quite difficult to hit things. It’s not like the movies.

moose
    Free Member

CountZero

It takes incredible discipline and skill to put rounds centre of mass efficiently. And that’s with two hands!

GrahamS

@graham suicides skew those figures quite a lot

Not really no. The table on the link gives you a full breakdown for suicide, homicide, unintentional and undetermined.

The figures for just Homicide were 0.05 for UK and 3.55 for the US.

I acknowledge that they do represent an average risk across the population though – the actual risk faced by nice middle class white people is quite a lot lower.

Plenty of countries have guns in widespread ownership like Canada and Switzerland which don’t see the same levels of gun crime. It’s a more complex problem than just the guns

I agree. And I also agree that sadly it is a nearly impossible problem to solve in the states.

Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try though.

@Graham he was reported dead hours ago.

Fair enough – that was the last update I’d seen.

chewkw
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Keep a Desert Eagle in your bedside drawer for “home defense”? You’re a batshitmentalist.

Desert Eagle! 😯

That is not a pistol that is a tank! Probably break the shooter own wrist first … 😮

1911 is reliable. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*wonders how it feels to shoot a gun*

*imagines it causes the strangest boner* (to someone who struggles for one normally)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gun-free carriages?

chewkw
    Free Member

Me mate’s uncle was a gun dealer when we were young. His uncle also represented the country in Olympic shooting …

But I wish I could shoot his other younger uncle because the bar-stewart boosted about him shooting the endanger wild Borneo buffolo …

jimjam
    Free Member

chewkw

But I wish I could shoot his other younger uncle because the bar-stewart boosted about him shooting the endanger wild Borneo buffolo …

Yep, that’s a good and rational attitude.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The US has two choices IMO.

1. Maintain status quo.

2. Revoke the 2nd amendment and deal with the consequences.

Both will result in firearms related homicide. But at a different rate.

Guns don’t kill people.

Mentally ill people choose guns as an effective, remote medium to kill.

Nothing will change.

athgray
    Free Member

Psychologically, its far harder to kill someone with a knife and also much more difficult to take down multiple targets in one attack. Close quarter armed combat is a completely different prospect than simply blatting off a few rounds from 100yds away.

I agree with this. Perhaps also the ease of obtaining guns makes perpetrating these acts more likely if you intend to commit suicide afterwards. I don’t know but perhaps shooting yourself seems easier than turning a knife on yourself or other methods.

I have gun, intend to end it, may as well vent anger first, if you know what I mean.

chewkw
    Free Member

jimjam – Member

chewkw
    But I wish I could shoot his other younger uncle because the bar-stewart boosted about him shooting the endanger wild Borneo buffolo

Yep, that’s a good and rational attitude. [/quote]

Ya, that bar-stewart uncle is still alive and healthy today … 😡

whatnobeer
    Free Member

In the same way that putting paracetamol into popper packaging rather the bottles helped reduce suicide attempts using paracetamol, making guns harder to access should reduce the firearms death rate. It may not of stopped this shooting, but suicides, accidental deaths, spur of the moment type shootings would almost definitely reduce.

Cougar

The fundamental difference you’re overlooking is,

Should I happen to find my life or that of my family under threat, it is incredibly unlikely to be from an assailant with a gun. Ergo, the chances of me finding myself suddenly having to play Dirty Harry in my living room one night is about as probable as me taking the lead in Swan Lake at the national ballet.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

The fundamental difference you’re overlooking is,

Should I happen to find my life or that of my family under threat, it is incredibly unlikely to be from an assailant with a gun. Ergo, the chances of me finding myself suddenly having to play Dirty Harry in my living room one night is about as probable as me taking the lead in Swan Lake at the national ballet. [/quote]

I wouldn’t bet on that nowadays when your luck is down, yes the probability is low, but I mean look at the French train shooter, where the hell did he get the AK47 with a bag of ammunition … 😯

jamj1974

What would be assessed as mentally ill depends on the values of the society where the assessment is made.

In America there is a normalised view in many quarters that ownership of automatic weapons is safe and desirable, that disproportionate response to perceived threats is acceptable and that these are rights inviolate. So, no it’s not just mentally ill people who shoot people with guns.

chewkw
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member
    In America there is a normalised view in many quarters that ownership of automatic weapons is safe and desirable, that disproportionate response to perceived threats is acceptable and that these are rights inviolate. So, no it’s not just mentally ill people who shoot people with guns.

By your assumption they are all nutters? 😯

JoeG
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member

The US has two choices IMO.

1. Maintain status quo.

2. Revoke the 2nd amendment and deal with the consequences.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to amend the US constitution?

Article V of the Constitution spells out the processes by which constitutional amendments can be proposed and ratified.

To Propose Amendments

In the U.S. Congress, both the House of Representatives and the Senate approve by a two-thirds supermajority vote, a joint resolution amending the Constitution. Amendments so approved do not require the signature of the President of the United States and are sent directly to the states for ratification.

Two-thirds of the state legislatures ask Congress to call a national convention to propose amendments. (This method has never been used.)

To Ratify Amendments

Three-fourths of the state legislatures approve it, or

Ratifying conventions in three-fourths of the states approve it. This method has been used only once — to ratify the 21st Amendment — repealing Prohibition.

The Supreme Court has stated that ratification must be within “some reasonable time after the proposal.” Beginning with the 18th amendment, it has been customary for Congress to set a definite period for ratification. In the case of the 18th, 20th, 21st, and 22nd amendments, the period set was 7 years, but there has been no determination as to just how long a “reasonable time” might extend.

Of the thousands of proposals that have been made to amend the Constitution, only 33 obtained the necessary two-thirds vote in Congress. Of those 33, only 27 amendments (including the Bill of Rights) have been ratified.

From http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/usconstitution/a/constamend.htm

bails

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Why do suicides not count as gun related deaths? Obviously you can kill yourself without a gun, but a gun makes it much easier. A suicide is still someone’s mum/dad/son/daughter gone. It’s not like saying “those figures include mannequins that have been shot”!

Drac

Guns don’t kill people.

Nothing will change.

So you’re saying everyone who killed someone with a gun in America was mentally ill and removing easy access won’t change that?

What a very strange view.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think Sandy Hook was a turning point, really – once the US decided that even massacring little kids was okay, the possibility of ever changing US gun control vanished.

There’s been more than one mass shooting per day in the US this year.

jamj1974

By your assumption they are all nutters?

That’s almost the opposite of what I said. I am saying their societal norms are different from our own, which makes actions we would seem abnormal, normal. We throw this mental illness thing around a lot without considering the cultural background.

jimjam
    Free Member

I think they are a bit ****ed tbh. Even if all firearms sales ceased instantly tomorrow the country is completely awash with guns. Something like 3-400 million. There’s a crazy statistic along the lines that Americans own half of all guns on the planet.

Coupled with their healthcare system which by all accounts is entirely focused on selling as many drugs to as many people a possible, regardless of whether they need them or not and it’s a recipe for disaster.

FuzzyWuzzy

Presumably they could severely limit the types of guns allowed without needing an amendment to the constitution? I really can’t see how anyone can justify owning an assault rifle, machine gun or sub-machine that they keep at home, they should be restricted to highly regulated gun ranges only. After that start limiting other guns (e.g. 9mm 10-round mag max for a handgun).

Of course in reality the combination of the powerful pro-gun lobby and general anti-government-interference stance of the republican party (esp. the more right-wing part) mean nothing of any meaning will get done.

jimjam
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member

Presumably they could severely limit the types of guns allowed without needing an amendment to the constitution? I really can’t see how anyone can justify owning an assault rifle, machine gun or sub-machine that they keep at home, they should be restricted to highly regulated gun ranges only. After that start limiting other guns (e.g. 9mm 10-round mag max for a handgun).

There already are very strict regulations on machine guns and assault rifles, with their sale, movement and use being illegal or highly restricted in most states. Their sale and manufacture for civilian use has been banned since 1986. It’s probably as easy to legally own a machine gun in the UK.

Google NFA Weapons or Title 2 weapons.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘2 US TV Journalists Shot Dead On Air’ is closed to new replies.