Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • 2 US TV Journalists Shot Dead On Air
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

The footage makes it look like one presenter and the camera(person).

You don’t actually see anything, just sound and the camera falling to the ground.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I read the news too

soobalias
    Free Member

‘yikes’ + link = crossposting = spam. IMHO

TOGTFO

you surely have something better to offer than just ‘yikes’ – or were you rushing to post the link before someone else did resulting in a second rate thread that is closed early under duplication.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Just as the camera drops you can see the potential gun man. Why? What is wrong with people…

bails

The guy was wearing a go pro. He put the video online. 😐

slimjim78
    Free Member

If only the crew were armed with their own guns for self protection.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

grim.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Crazy. Sadly another example of a dissatisfied employee killing colleagues.

retro83
    Free Member

soobalias – Member

TOGTFO

you surely have something better to offer than just ‘yikes’ – or were you rushing to post the link before someone else did resulting in a second rate thread that is closed early under duplication.

Whereas your post adds so much to the discussion? 😉

Reports on CNN state the shooter has shot himself.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/26/us/virginia-shooting-wdbj/

twang
    Free Member

soobalias – Member

TOGTFO

What a dickish post

rene59
    Free Member

I think soobalias is mad because he was the ‘someone else’ about to post this.

Cougar

To be fair, he’s got a point in that posting a URL with no other content is getting pretty tedious now.

That said, the time to raise such concerns is probably not immediately following the announcement that two people have been murdered.

Ho hum.

bails

if only the crew were armed with their own guns for self protection.

Not sure if that’s serious or not, but they didn’t even seem to realise he was there until he’d opened fire. I doubt it would have made any difference, sadly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Title plus link plus one word comment.

Seems fair enough to me.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I got into shit in early September 2001 on bikemagic when I linked a new story and posted something whilst forgetting I was logged in as Jon Doran, one word comments sometimes safer while I check who I’m logged in as 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

To be fair, he’s got a point in that posting a URL with no other content is getting pretty tedious now.

One of the things I like about this forum is that it does have a community feel about it. There is banter, in jokes and bickering. And, like any community, when something interesting, or relevant, or shocking or annoying happens it’s brought to the attention of the rest of the community, so it can be bantered about, or bickered over, or used as a prompt or in jokes. That’s how these things work, isn’t it?

Cougar

Who?

scruff9252

Go ‘Merica! With depressing regularity their gun laws are shown to be stupid beyond comprehension.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A friend of mine in a journalist, who’s on the scene of where the shooter was arrested, only after he shot himself though.

I wonder how many more high profile gun crimes need to happen before something get’s done about it. Shocking situation 🙁

bubs

2 US TV Journalists Shot Dead On Air is a bigger story than 50 people found dead on a ship in the Mediterranean….I am really starting to dislike the term migrant. No back stories on those poor souls, just a set of numbers to add to this year’s tally 🙁

LHS
    Free Member

Not sure gun control would have stopped this one. If someone is hell bent on killing someone like this over a personal grudge then they will find a way to do it. This wasn’t a random murder.

grahamh
    Free Member

If only the crew were armed with their own guns for self protection.

I’m sure a spokesman from the NRA will be along to say that the solution is “more guns.”

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Not sure gun control would have stopped this one. If someone is hell bent on killing someone like this over a personal grudge then they will find a way to do it. This wasn’t a random murder.

I think you’ll find that you’re wrong.

LHS
    Free Member

Agree to disagree.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well, per head of capita i’m sure the UK has just as many nutters as any other country you care to mention, especially the US, and there are probably as many people out there with murderous tendencies/thoughts about work colleagues and other people. It makes their fantasies a lot easier to achieve, and therefore more tempting, if they can get their hands on an Uzi 9mm as easily as they can a loaf of bread. The prospect of stabbing someone to death or bludgeoning them to death with a blunt weapon is far more tricky and difficult to achieve.

moose
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that you’re wrong.

Really? Was gun control or lack of it the reason for some US servicemen having to beat unconscious an individual with an AK, 270 rounds of ammunition, complimented with a pistol and stanley knife?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just think how many more bullets would have been flying around if half the passengers on the train had guns too? They would have probably shot the US servicemen before they got a chance to deal with the actual shooter.

moose
    Free Member

@wobbliscott, totally agree. My point is that gun control is not going to prevent all attacks, it may reduce them. Just look at that kid from Newcastle who used the Dark Web to buy weapons and IED components to go on a spree with.

The knee jerk gun control argument is tired, just the same as more civilians should have guns. Crazy people will usually find a way to kill.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Really? Was gun control or lack of it the reason for some US servicemen having to beat unconscious an individual with an AK, 270 rounds of ammunition, complimented with a pistol and stanley knife?

Really? That the argument for the defence? 😆
    How many more incedents would there be if there was no gun control? In the UK we have gun control, but hardly anywhere near the number of random killings as in the USA, but we still have killings as no matter how much control there is we know that people will always find a way around the control.
    Do you believe that removing gun control in the UK would leave the number of gun deaths at exactly the same levels we have now, or do you think there would be an increase?
    That goes to the pre-edit LHS too.

EDIT: Do you think that this feller would have been able to get close enough to kill two people today if he was only armed with a breadkinife?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Three unarmed men stop a nutter with a gun.

You couldn’t make it up.

piemonster

God that’s grim

moose
    Free Member

I’m not saying that, but how many people go banzai with legally owned weapons vs those with illegally owned weapons? People use the UK, and Island with pretty well enforced borders as an example, the US has a huge land mass beneath it with a huge quantity of illegal weapons that are moved over the border in a variety of pretty sophisticated ways.

2012 I was lucky enough to spend a day with the US Border Patrol in El Centro, Southern California. Absolutely mental what crosses that border. It made me realise how difficult it is to smuggle weapons into the UK. Compared to the US we’re pretty safe.

As for the knife question, totally. Or if not he could have picked another moment to strike. Depends on the level of crazy. I personally wouldn’t choose a bread knife. The length is good to damage internal organs, but with no point it would require a fair amount of force to pierce clothing and skin. But you can buy a variety of fairly evil looking knives over the counter these days.

ninfan
    Free Member

People speak as if there’s no Gun control at all in America.

There’s all sorts of federal restrictions on firearms, plus state ones – Virginia being the 20th most strict state firearms laws in the US, and a slightly lower than average gun death rate.

moose
    Free Member

Those guys saw an opportunity, nutter had a stoppage so they charged him. Total respect to them, they took a calculated risk and it paid off. Did have a giggle at the mobile phone footage of the attacker hogtied in the aisle with is weapons unloaded and cleared. Good drills on the part of all four guys who dealt with him.

Sandwich

The approach to attempted hijacking or shootings has changed since September 2011. You stand up and go for the attacker. The first 20 may well die or be wounded but the other 50 to 200 will get the man. Stalin had it right with “numbers have a quality of their own” .

moose
    Free Member

Sandwich, I wish I had your faith in people to do that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

People speak as if there’s no Gun control at all in America.

I have never heard anyone claim that there are no gun controls in the US. There is however a widespread belief that there is insufficient gun control in the US.

This belief is shared by the present President of the United States who will have been fully briefed with regards to the legal status of guns.

“If you ask me where is the one area where I feel that I have been most frustrated and most stymied, it is the fact that the United States of America is the one advanced nation on earth in which we do not have sufficient, common sense, gun safety laws,” Obama said. “Even in the face of repeated mass killings.”

Obama’s biggest frustration: Gun laws

chewkw
    Free Member

Not trying to play down the sad news but if a person is going to kill s/he will kill regardless. In this case, a former employee has gone crazy …

Yes, guns might make it easier to carry out his/her intention but knife/machete would do the job too with a surprise attack.

hmmm … I wonder where did that French train shooter got his AK47 from … hhmmm …

Put it this way if someone is going to shoot at me I sure want to shoot back … we can debate about the rest later once the shooting is over. Dead or alive.

That is the Merica way of life so that should be that.

In BritLand you have your way of life so that should be that if you prefer not to bear arms.

😯

konabunny
    Free Member

I agree that it’s poor form.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘2 US TV Journalists Shot Dead On Air’ is closed to new replies.