Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • 2 months ago I was about to be sacked and devastated…….
  • Mog
    Free Member

So, 2 months ago I was going through a rough time at work (people have bigger problems, I know that, I have work for a start). I’d been called into a review meeting at short notice and the way I’d been treated left me feeling worried, insecure and convinced I was about to be sacked.

I received bags (6 pages!) worth of support and advice. For that, I’m grateful I got a bit panicky here

I’m still with the same employer and things have got worse. I’m sent emails asking me to justify everything. My monthly ‘one-to-ones’ have involved my line manager handing me a bit of paper and telling me to ‘read it, sign it and return it.’ I also found out the same manager has been asking 2 of my direct reports what they think I’m doing wrong and what negative impact I’ve had on the business since I joined. This is the same manager that interviewed me and offered me the role. Thakfully, the 2 reports have remained honest and tried to keep out of what seems like a bit of a vendetta (bit dramatic, I know).

Anyway, to round off the story I’m going in on Monday morning to hand in my notice as I start a new (better) job in a month’s time following a call, out of the blue, from a competitor where I have ex-colleagues working – which I didn’t even know.

So, with a celebratory beer on the go, cheers all and thanks.

scotroutes

Ha ha. – enjoy that moment!

luffy105
    Free Member

Well bloody done fella!

I’ll raise a glass to that. Had similar and it ain’t nice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nice one, don’t forget to crap on the desk while you tell them 🙂

plecostomus
    Free Member

High five! All the best to you.

kimbers

you need to get a strangers crap or better still some dog crap as they can get dna from your poo

oh and well done!

allthepies
    Free Member

Awesome, well done you. Blood pressure will come down a notch or two 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

hope you get an “exit interview” and are able to tell them what for 😉

be sure to mention the words “industrial tribunal” and “constructive dismissal”

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Result.
    Nice one!

geoffj

Good luck, but don’t burn your bridges. You may really want to, but you never know how things will pan out.

warton
    Free Member

good on you.

It’s incredible how many people use the place of work to bully and intimidate people. It’s just a job you sad ****!

piemonster

Excellent.

Some threads need a like button.

mightymule
    Free Member

Nice 😀

PS, If you wish to leave a present when you go, I can send you the contents of the cat-litter tray…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Anywhere warm to hide fish products in your work? 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well done dude! Take time over that letter, and try and include the flowing words:

*******, ****, ***** and ******* ****

🙂

deluded
    Free Member

At the exit interview ask matey what his/her problem was. The REAL reason.

Give him/her some 360 degree feedback on their overbearing and bullying nature.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Beautiful. I remember the original thread very well and was getting a bit worried as I worked my way through your second paragraph.

Well done, and good luck at the new place.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*******, ****, ***** and ******* ****

He’s right you know!

Great news!

Mog
    Free Member

Yup, whenever I run the scenario thorugh my mind it involves some form of defication, urine and probably some cress seeds. Maybe a kipper and a heating duct.

When, in actual fact, it’ll probably irk them more that I continue doing the role properly, don’t take any sick and wish them all the best.

I guess it’s a kind of ‘you know, I know, you know’ kind of thing. It’s making me feel a little smug thinking about it.

Plus, it pains me to say it, if I back something out into a ‘to-do’ tray I’m bound to need that person again in the future. The world’s funny like that.

So, despite my mind runing wild with ideas, I guess I’ll thank them for their opportunity – making a point of thanking my line manager personally for their support – and wish them luck.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM8DfCgVWx8[/video]

cranberry
    Free Member

calm, understated, professional and with a massive f*ck-off grin on your face is the way to go.

duntstick
    Free Member

Sooooooooooooooooo, glad I had a life, and didn’t become an office wageslave, to a bunch of arseholes. Good luck fellah

RustyMac

Yay more good news, PP earlier in the week and now this. top stuff :Y:

[edit] the :Y: thing does a thumbs up on our messenger thing at work, but obviously doesn’t work here [/edit]

takisawa2

Well done mate.
    For your own self respect remain respectful to the last then politely tell this manager eff awf.

Or, hand in notice & go sick for a month.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

yup,,,tell him to **** off..

you only live once, this is your time

brooess
    Free Member

Glad it’s worked out for you. I hate it when managers/companies are cowardly and bully people out of a job.
    Although IME, karma does her job pretty well 🙂

My advice, leave with your pride intact and head held high. Say nothing unpleasant, just keep your view to yourself. Your silence will speak volumes to the bullies… and it reminds them who’s the better man

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Don’t say anything more than ‘goodbye, I’m off’.

Kevevs
    Free Member

That sounds ace mate! wahoo! 🙂 I thnk you are right with the quieter approach myself.

CountZero

Excellent.

Some threads need a like button.

Oh, and congratulations, and the very, very best of luck in your new job. Fantastic news. 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    Good luck, but don’t burn your bridges. You may really want to, but you never know how things will pan out.

Nah, tell ’em to stick it. Good for you. I’ve also experienced this – my line manager and I never saw eye to eye and it took a Union meeting and a lot of bad feeling before they were forced to re-employ me after a constructive dismissal case. I left anyway but the principle is what matters in these cases.

ds3000
    Free Member

3 words;

Turd

Desk

Boss

trevron73
    Free Member

Before i met my wife(bear with me?)i used to harbour vendettas?now im married to a bhuddist i’ve changed.If they don’t want you leave?if you don’t want them leave? life is too short!i used to live by the rule of i work 80hours a week for you you owe me ? nah more fool me ? now i get the support of my bosses as i make them more money than they ever made in a tough enviroment ,the key thing is A, they know i can be replaced/and i know that, B i could find an easier job that pays more ,C i need them and they need me -simples? i want to work for them and they put up with my overbearing standards + we click .they want me i need them ?its a job the Buisness has to win and we support each other /if that fails on either part -i will leave either on my own or forced ,if a bad reference is given in todays job market no matter what the circumstance i will not get another job so easy ,this is life so think ahead as ? alas you are still doing the same job in the same market in a small pond ??? A Thai proverb says “if you see just see?if you know just know?and when you taste just taste ?? so walk away happy you do not deal with them anymore and think of your future and your familys as this is what matters ? not scoring points

trevron73
    Free Member

punctuation lacking??i know come on its 1 am re read it makes sense?

user-removed
    Free Member

wtf?

Kevevs
    Free Member

thanks Trevron73. what do you think you can do? cos i have little Idea myself..!

Mog
    Free Member

Erm, thanks Trevron73. Not entirely sure I’m on your page, but I suspect I’d like to be.

‘Know what’s important’ is a big thing for me, which is why I couldn’t just walk – it’d put undue stress on the family. I try and keep perspective on things but sometimes you feel overwhelmed by it all. I’d never experienced that before working here so thought it was a bit of a wimpy thing to happen to someone, but it’s real alright.

At the exit interview ask matey what his/her problem was. The REAL reason

Her. And I think that may have been part of the problem. I’m not a Her. Seemed there was something for them to prove? Not sure what it was but there was a completely different relationship with other female managers. Odd.

hora
    Free Member

Fantastic. Be polite but cold and blunt when you hand it in. When I walked out of habitat I explained what I thought of the business and management. Politely but brutal. Well they insisted on a exit-interview.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Exit interview: thank the company for the years of support and be clear how much you regret having to leave. Then rip into your tool of a manager and suggest they should keep a close eye on his performance because in your opinion it’s all the managers fault.

hora
    Free Member

Genius. Focus on his comptency. Dont just think glad to be out/too much hassle. If you stay calm it can come across as a shock if another manager is present.

thered

I’m really pleased that you have something positive to come from this. I read your original thread and could empathize completely as I was in a job that I hated working for people who had no concept of what they were doing. I am also out now and already feeling better despite a very challenging first month.

Good luck.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘2 months ago I was about to be sacked and devastated…….’ is closed to new replies.