Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 204 total)
  • About to be sacked and devastated
  • Mog
    Free Member

I think I’m about to be sacked tomorrow. I left a job I’d been in and enjoyed for 7 years for this one 6 months ago to be closer to home to see the kids more.
    I’m about to turn 40, worked since I was 16 and have never been sacked from anywhere.
    I was told about a ‘poor performance meeting’ at 5pm on Friday, scheduled for tomorrow. Haven’t slept/eaten since.
    I always thought I’d be aloof & OK about it if it ever happened to me, but I’m devastated.
    The company’s terrible and my direct manager is horrendous and I really don’t like it there, but I’m devastated to think I’m about to be dismissed (probation not successful).
    Mortgage, kids, dog (!), stigma on CV……
    Hopefully only one more sleepless night to go.

Markie
    Free Member

Good luck Mog.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sorry, I’ve got nothing useful to say, but that situation sucks and I feel for you mate.

Leku
    Free Member

The company’s terrible and my direct manager is horrendous and I really don’t like it there,

Focus on that point. Both times I’ve been let go I’ve found better jobs after. Hang in there..

boltonjon

Here’s hoping that it doesn’t come to a dismissal mate

Seek advice to ensure that everything is fair – and bring a representative to any meetings (you’ll be entitled to one if linked to poor performance or misconduct)

Employment law really sides with the employee – so take notes on everything and make sure you are treated fairly

Keep calm and don’t let them see that its getting to you

What line of work are you in?

timbur
    Free Member

Head up. Look for a silver lining (sounds like a poor place to work anyway)
    You’ll survive.
    I was made redundant at the beginning of the banking fiasco/recession. I’m happy now and only wear a tie to funerals.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Mog.

Good luck.

Cant help much apart from this happened to me. I now explain the missing 6 months on my CV as “looking after my little girl whilst my wife pushed for a promotion” no one has ever cottoned on to my little white lie.

Its their loss.

dannyh
    Free Member

Any way you could go back to your old job or work more flexibly for them?

Also, try to get CV sorted to get in the mood for being in the job market again?

Other than that, do not be too down. It might be a blessing in disguise. Nice of them to let you stew over the weekend – perhaps in the hope you will jump first? Do not make it easy for them even if you might actually want to leave.

Good luck.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Chin up Mog, hope things work out for you.

kevj
    Free Member

Firstly, good luck. I hope it goes in your favour.

Secondly, if it does go the wrong way, do you feel you have been professional and have conducted yourself correctly? I only ask this because if you have, then your paper trail of emails, personal notes etc will back this up.
    A poorly organised company can be very frustrating to work for, especially if you are used to working with good people and working practices.

andymc06
    Free Member

Hopefully they will give you a development plan and an opportunity to improve. It shouldn’t be straight to dismissal or failed probation if this is the first you have heard of this so called poor performance. Believe in yourself and ask for the opportunity. Good luck.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you’ll get to see the kid even more now, every cloud?

stavromuller
    Free Member

You don’t mention what the job is, are your skills transferable to another line of work?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it goes that way, you’ll get through it. All the “shame” type stuff is in your head only. FWIW I’ve been through similar, I’m not “sorted” now but a hell of a lot happier not to be earning money for my previous wee shite of a boss.

bokonon
    Free Member

I have to disagree with the above post which said that employment law is skewed in favour of the employee – it’s not – it’s totally employercentric and becoming more so every year – we have some of the most lax labour laws in the western world.

None the less – poor performance review doesn’t mean you will be sacked, and I’d expect that you would be given an opportunity to rectify any problems which are outlined at the review, I would also expect that any formal processes would outline the exact nature of the problem *before* the meeting took place, and that any outcomes had clear time basis and that the opportunity for assistance for you to ensure that you can meet them is given (a mentor to help as a minimum).

I’ve represented dozens of people in performance reviews and similar and very few of them were sacked at the first one, and those who were sacked often went because they failed to do what they said they would and could do in the meetings.

br
    Free Member

If you’ve performed badly, then…

But if you think that you’ve not you have two options:

1 Just agree with everything they say, and try to hang on while you look elsewhere.

2 Fight them, with which they’ll either let you go straight away or you’ll be gone soon – so look elsewhere.

Also beware ‘resigning’ if you want/need to sign-on.

alibongo001

Difficult time. Hope it goes better then you think.

Process is the most important thing here, if they get the process right then even though it may not be “right” to dismiss as a result of unsuccessful probation, then they can.

Have you had previous performance meetings where your (alleged) shortcomings have been highlighted?

Unfortunately a probation is much easier to end than a years work.

Best of luck!

Rochey
    Free Member

What is it you do??

tonyd

Could be worse, I turned 41 last week!

Good luck tomorrow.

Mog
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    I think it is fair. I haven’t met their targets (which I felt were unachievable and raised this at every review). I inherited an underperforming team who were 4 members down out of a structure of 12. Most figures have gone in the right direction, but not to the heights they wanted.
    I’ve only been there 6 months so looks like I’m entitled to very little, nay, nothing.
    The whole point of the move was to support my young family and see them more and now I can’t afford the roof over their heads.

footflaps

Even if the worst happens, you can get another job. You don’t have to put the reason for why you left on your CV, so no stigma attached.

The message you take home is most important, so focus on ‘the poor management and lack of training / guidance meant I couldn’t do my best’ rather than ‘I failed / am useless etc’.

All the best for tomorrow and remember, there are other jobs out there!

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Feel for you bud , good luck and keep your head held high,actually I don’t think they have given you enough notice to enable you to find/ arrange representation also I hope they sent you a job at risk letter first ? If not I’m sure they should do.
    If your backs against the wall see what they are willing to do pay off wise / reference etc as it becomes messy if they give you a bad ref.
    Anyway positive vibes sent your way fella,you never know was around the corner.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

What is it you do??

I was told about a ‘poor performance meeting’

not much?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

put out the feelers at your old job if you’ve only been gone 6 months? surely you still know people if you were there 7 years, one would assume you did not burn bridges

billyboy
    Free Member

Maybe….go on the offensive……tell the boss that it’s pretty obvious they don’t like you and obviously just want any excuse to out you. Tell them to give you a year’s wages and you will go quietly otherwise there will be tribunals and other shit to pay for them.

I’ve spent sleepless nights over tons of shit before and it never was worth it….won’t stop me from doing the same when I’m worried about something in the future though.

Good luck

iain1775
    Free Member

What line of work Mog?
    And whereabouts in the country?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t threaten tribunals, you only get those after 1 year (unless you can show discrimination).

project
    Free Member

Mog you havent been sacked yet, wait and see wht happens, usually there will be a warning letter and a chat with your managers.

Sometimes we all make mistakes leaving a job we like to one we hate, been there, and been sacked by letter as i was off sick,and i resigned on the same day said the date on my resignation letter.

whattyre
    Free Member

I’d recommend getting some advice pronto…cab are pretty good

paulosoxo
    Free Member

not much?

Not funny?

footflaps

Maybe….go on the offensive……tell the boss that it’s pretty obvious they don’t like you and obviously just want any excuse to out you. Tell them to give you a year’s wages and you will go quietly otherwise there will be tribunals and other shit to pay for them.

If you’ve only been there 6 months you have no right to claim for unfair dismissal. So they can pretty much get rid of you for anything…

It’s not worth the fight, anger only eats you up inside and you’re better off focusing your energy on finding a better job.

footflaps

not much?

Pretty offensive and uncalled for.

muggomagic

Chin up. Its never as bad as you think and the fact you’ve had a few days to think about it has made it seem a hell of a lot worse in your head.
    Ask lots of questions. Don’t let them off the hook.
    1, if this is the first time your “poor performance” has been mentioned then push them as to why it has gotten this far without it being bought to you attention.
    2, if not then ask for examples of where your performance had not met the expected standards since the last conversation.

There are too many companies that get rid of probationary staff just because it’s easy. Just don’t make it easy for a crap boss.

zokes
    Free Member

Yep, that’ll work when he’s only been there 6 months and is on probation

jekkyl

If you do get sacked & the meeting is early you could be out on the trails by 1pm.

althepal

If you’re being reviewed, I reckon they have to give you a chance to improve..
    Be ready to answer the criticisms in as diplomatic and positive way as possible.
    If they are asking you to improve try and get them on side with working towards improvements- if it doesn’t happen it’s not just your fault!
    Get them to note everything down in writing at the meeting for future reference..
    Hang on as long as you can, if need be and if you’re sacked at least you’ll get some help till you find something else.
    Try and stay positive..

nealglover
    Free Member

I haven’t met their targets (which I felt were unachievable and raised this at every review). I inherited an underperforming team who were 4 members down out of a structure of 12. Most figures have gone in the right direction, but not to the heights they wanted.

Those are the bits to focus on in any discussion about performance.

Accept your part of the responsibility

But make sure they accept their part too, if you believe that’s the way it is.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

It’s not worth the fight, anger only eats you up inside and you’re better off focusing your energy on finding a better job.

This is the truth.

Hope you get something better soon.

slparsons
    Free Member

ACAS also offer advice, there is a phone number on their website.

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve had almost exactly the same happen to me – nearly 2 years ago now. A VERY well known insurance company. Boss was utterly out of his depth (I think deliberately, to get him out) and the company was an utter mess. I would never had taken the job if I’d known. (I’m guessing you wouldn’t either.)
    As I hadn’t actually messed anything up a load of half-truths were used to ‘prove’ I had to be ‘managed out’.
    Luckily I have a mate who’s an HR Director who’s seen this kind of game many many times and he said just get out and get on with your life.
    That was excellent advice. I’m now far better paid and in a much less stressful role elsewhere. Working for an incompetent boss in a struggling company who aren’t willing to listen to you is incredibly unhealthy and you are far, far better off out.
    Don’t forget, you told them the targets were impossible and you’ve been proved right. It doesn’t sound like your judgement or ability are the issue here, simply their level of maturity to take your views on board and cowardlyness in dealing with the situation you predicted…

So overall, sounds like you’re best off out of an unhealthy organisation. I would give your old company a call if you left on good terms and liked it there…

Good luck tomorrow and don’t let the gits grind you down. Karma comes round (my boss lost his job a few months after me…) 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 204 total)

The topic ‘About to be sacked and devastated’ is closed to new replies.