Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 1×9 Trail Centre riders – ideal front ring?
  • Hallsy
    Free Member

I've run 1×9 for ages as around here (suffolk) it is plenty for the flatish stuff, and I don't ride on the road enough to worry about out pedalling.

I run 38T front and 11-34 rear.

I went to Afan for first time last weekend, and even though I'm not a fan of spinning my legs like a mad man to climb, there were times when 38T front and 34 rear was hard work.

I've come back thinking of running a smaller ring, maybe 34 or 36T, but this morning I've actually been wondering about just going to maybe a 22/36 double setup. Trouble is, that would mean buying a shifter, mech & another ring, probably a new CD as well.

Anyone compromise with 1×9, if so, what ring do you choose?

Living in Suffolk I never really got the granny & middle double setup, having ridden some steeper stuff it now makes sense 😉

theflash
    Free Member

I run 36 up front with 11-34 on the hardtail and 34 with 11-32 on the Nomad, good for everything and thats after 4 years of running 1×9.

poppa
    Free Member

Depends on your fitness, the terrain, and whether you spin or grind. Best bet is to experiment yourself, as people differ. Maybe sit down and work out what gears you will gain/lose.

brakes
    Free Member

I'm a grinder and run 34F 11-34R
    there's one climb at Afan and similarly one at CYB that is a bit of a chore, but nothing major

Bagstard
    Free Member

Same as bakes, 34×34 will get me up any trail centre climb, although after a long day I sometimes wish I had a lower gear.

ajantom

36 up front and 11-32 on the back. Got me round the Highlands a few weeks back, and it's what I use on Dartmoor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘1×9 Trail Centre riders – ideal front ring?’ is closed to new replies.