Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 1×9 problems…… I'm such a clutz!
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

just been out for the first time using 1×9 set up on my hardtail.

schoolboy error as I thought I’d be fine without any guide on the front chainwheel, any downhill even moderately rough and the chain popped off.

just wanted to ask what you guys use upfront to stop this happening, bearing in mind I have no lhs shifter or front mech.

thanks in advance

fenred
    Free Member

I just use an n-gear jump stop and a SS specific ring…Never dropped the chain yet.

Garry_Lager

I used a full-monty chain device so haven’t tried simpler methods, but I believe the answer is an unramped chain ring with maybe a jump stop to prevent the chain coming off inwardly.

sv

One of those chain keeper things from Superstar worked very well for my 1×9.

phinw
    Free Member

Cheap as chips MRP-a-like singlespeed chain guide from Superstar Components

Dekerf
    Free Member

Yep, got a superstar on here, cheap and does the job

njee20
    Free Member

Superstar here, with a bodged seat tube mount, never dropped the chain. Their ‘pukka’ seat tube mount one looks quite neat. I see no reason to pay any more.

Scamper
    Free Member

I’ve got the tube mounted superstar jobby – 85g and what, £16? My chain has dropped twice in 4 weeks off an e-thirteen ring – each time it was over the rougher stuff i’ve done.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

what’s the difference between this bad-boy….

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=495

and this jobby…

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=475

oh and should I still need to fit a ss non-ramped chairing too even if I get a chainguide’ what do you think?

thanks for all the info guys. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

For ultimate peace of mind get a proper chain guide like the SS plasma. Depends on the trails you’re riding though but I had no end of chain-dropping problems (2×9) til i got a roller chain device/tensioner thing. Makes a nice whirring sound as well 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

E13 LG1+

rob2
    Free Member

The blurb says…” This is chainkeeper style with a less obtrusive cage than the standard evrsion”

I’ve got two normal ones and they’re great.

takisawa2

My Superstarcomponents tube mounted one arrived broken, posting it back tomorrow. Looking at the hinge mechanism it looks a weak point. Running a bb mounted one at the moment & thats been fine. Only downside is the limited adjsustment that the shims offer.

MarkyG82

An unramped ring will make a big difference. My chain drops once every other ride. That’s with no device.

jam-bo

E13 xcx. dH racing yesterday and still didn’t drop the chain.

Wouldn’t touch superstar shite again if you paid me.

kiwijohn

+1 for E13 XCX with a guide ring. Superb stuff.

mboy
    Free Member

Got a Superstar BB mount device I’m selling if anyone wants it. I’ve upgraded to an MRP Lopes device now, which has a lower roller too.

People who say an N gear jump stop keeps their chain on are riding canal towpaths only. My superstar device kept dropping the chain, I worked out the only way I was going to keep the chain on all the time over the rough terrain was to buy a device with a lower roller too. Oh and unramped ring is a must!

rOcKeTdOg

People who say an N gear jump stop keeps their chain on are riding canal towpaths only

Utter rubbish 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

+1 for e.13 LG1+. My chain’s not going anywhere!

carbon337
    Free Member

Anyone got some superstar plasma plastic guide bits? I have a backplate and BB adapter but need these other parts.

fenred
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

People who say an N gear jump stop keeps their chain on are riding canal towpaths only

Utter rubbish

@mboy -Interested in your thoughts and experiences…Are you trolling or are you mechanicaly inept and unable to perfect chain length/line/tension?

carbon337
    Free Member

Actually whilst on this subject. Orange five running double and bash SLX 22-32 with a Blackspire stinger.

Moving to 1×9 as i never use granny ring on the front. Should i just replace the bb mounted stinger and replace it with the BB adapter on a Superstar Plasma guide – and in turn attach backplate to adapter?

Or should i adjust chainline in a way to move the 32 ring in or out? Not sure why I would need to do this though as it works fine as is now with the stinger there.

mboy
    Free Member

@mboy -Interested in your thoughts and experiences…Are you trolling or are you mechanicaly inept and unable to perfect chain length/line/tension?

Hahaha, knew it wouldn’t take long for the great enraged masses to appear! 😉

Seriously though, if you ride hard and fast over bumpy terrain, a top only device just won’t suffice. I had severe problems with my superstar top only device (BB mount so no adjustments to be made, but perfect chainline as standard), it just couldn’t keep the chain on over the rough stuff. I know several other people (all quicker than me too) who have had the same problem, since solved by fitting a full device with a bottom roller. Doesn’t help that the backplate on the Superstar is a bit flexy too, so the top guide can move if the chain decides it wants to jam… Anyway, if you can keep up with me without losing your chain on your bike with just an N gear jump stop, down my usual terrain, I’ll take my hat off to you!

As for the mechanically inept comment, pretty far from it actually… Don’t need to qualify it, but I know what I’m doing…

EDIT: If top only guides were so effective, why don’t they run a top guide only on DH and 4X bikes?

faaz
    Free Member

I’ve ridden some pretty hard stuff and my top guide works fine. Ramped ring as well.

I’d lose a few links… sounds like you’re pretty slack if you’re still having problems.

mboy
    Free Member

I’d lose a few links… sounds like you’re pretty slack if you’re still having problems.

Chain is always run as short as it can go.

No probs now I’ve got the MRP Lopes on now though…

rOcKeTdOg

Seriously though, if you ride hard and fast over bumpy terrain, a top only device just won’t suffice

Scotland, Wales, FoD,Wyre Forest and local trails must all be tarmac smooth then as my n-stop seems to cope with it, i’m not known for my riding finesse either
    set up like this

Renthal + N-Stop by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

njee20
    Free Member

Anyway, if you can keep up with me without losing your chain on your bike with just an N gear jump stop, down my usual terrain, I’ll take my hat off to you!

Put your cock away and get over yourself 🙄

Unless you pedal backwards I don’t really see how you’d lose the chain with a well set up top guide, but I know people who manage it, so who knows.

Out of interest has anyone tried those new XTR ‘clutch’ rear mechs? They seem quite impressive playing with one, but could you get away without a guide?

Rivett
    Free Member

MRP Lopes and a un-ramped Raceface ring. Has been dead good. Used in the Alps and a UK Gravity Enduro round. No chain faff at all.

rOcKeTdOg

current set up

BBG bash by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Pauls chain keeper, simple, robust and easy enough to set up. Would be surprised if anyone could break one? Pretty much endless range of chain line adjustment as well.

Initial set up can be a bit tight, took the first ride of mine to take the edge off the guide when in the top ring before it went completely silent throughout.

Have used both the BB and tube mount versions, and both are excellent.

richmtb

I use an old front mech with the limit screw wound down to hold the chain in the right place. Seems to work fine for commuting

jam-bo

mboy – Member

Seriously though, if you ride hard and fast over bumpy terrain, a SUPERSTAR top only device just won’t suffice.

fixed that for you.

mboy
    Free Member

Njee, you are the only person I’ve come across that rides quick (certainly quicker than me, recognised your bike as you overtook me at SITS) that seems to get on with top only guides. Everyone else I know has had trouble with them under hard use. I wasn’t willy waving, just trying to provoke a reaction from some people who think they can ride hard and fast yet claim to have no issues without a full chain device… Others on here are agreeing with me at least… And I’ve provoked some reactions too!

Rocketdog, fair play you must have some magically sticky chain lube or something then, cos even on the final descent of the blue run at the FoD my chain came off twice (not back pedalling either) and jammed using the Superstar top only guide. Having switched to the MRP Lopes I’ve had none of the same issues.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

I use the same as Rocketdog. singlespeed/downhill chainring, bashring and n-gear jump stop. Keeps chain on 99% of the time. You just have to occasionally check that the jump-stop hasn’t bent. Also used a Superstar xcr upper guide on another 1×9 bike and that worked fine as well.

njee20
    Free Member

I know a lot of people far quicker than me who are fine with top only guides. Like I say, unless you back pedal I’m not too sure how a bottom roller helps, unless you’re riding full on DH when I guess the jolting is far more significant.

I suspect flexy backplates may be related, a happy byproduct of my bodged seat tube mount is that it’s absolutely solid, many of the complaints seem to be related to the guide not being stiff enough to resist the chain.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘1×9 problems…… I'm such a clutz!’ is closed to new replies.