Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 1×9 – chain falling off front ring
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Bike in the stand, chainring on normal middle chainring position (inside of spider tabs). No guide. Pretty sure BB is set up right (one spacer on drive side, 73mm BB shell)

Chain falls off when in biggest gear at the back. Is this normal? I know the chainline is off, but is it normal for the chain to fall off?

(I know I should put a guide on, and am planning to).

BadlyWiredDog

What ring are you using? You want something un-ramped with big teeth, not a standard middle ring with ramped teeth which is designed to shift easily. Sorry if you know that already.

Duane…
    Free Member

Yeah just realised that won’t be helping.. Just using a standard ring at the moment. The one I had on before (when I wrote the thread) was bent, so that wasn’t helping either 😛

It now stays on in the largest gear, but you can tell it’s not very happy and wants to hop off…

zangolin
    Free Member

Make sure your chainline is as central as you can get it – ideally you want the middle sprocket to line up with the chainring. You may have to swap the bb spacer to the other side – just depends how things line up and what clearance you have.
    Plus what BW Dog said about a single specific ring.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’m running a 32t on-one, unramped chainring with a superstar top guide, touch wood never had a problem!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘1×9 – chain falling off front ring’ is closed to new replies.