Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1×9 chain device for mojo?
  • Highland28
    Free Member

thinking of going 1×9 on my regular ibis mojo as I rarely use the small ring on my dual set-up anyway but unsure as to which chain device to go for as I think it needs to be a specially designed one due to the chain stays on the frame. So I was wondering if anyone has done or runs one and which do you use?
    Cheers

neil853
    Free Member

I think MRP doa specific one for the MOJO, try the importers (ISON)

Highland28
    Free Member

Cheers. Yeh mrp and E13 both do a chain device but from what I have read I think they might only be for mojo hd and sl, but I will give the importers an email as you say. Anyone else tried any?

mrblobby
    Free Member

What sort are you after? Would a BB mounted one like the XCX not do the job?

Highland28
    Free Member

Well I want one which has a chain tensioner as well. Having said that do you think it would be possible to run an xcx along with the stinger Which I already have running on the bike?
    But basically I am looking for a guide which also has a chain tensioner with it, the problem is the chainstays on the frame are in odd positions!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah heard that about the mojo. Could always get a BB mounted one like the LG1 from CRC, see if it fits, and send it back if it doesn’t. Not sure you could mount a stinger and an XCX as it would be too many bits hanging off the BB. Also aren’t stingers for doubles?

Highland28
    Free Member

Yeh the stinger is meant for a double in an ideal world but I have heard of people running then as a single. That is what I thought if I ran them together. There is the mrp lopes guide but I am pretty sure that was designed for the hd and SL just like the other two aswell.

honourablegeorge

Pretty sure a BB mount Lopes won’t work:

There’s a big thread on this on MTBR.

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/hey-ibis-mrp-how-about-dual-ring-chain-guide-mojo-mojo-hd-652062.html

Highland28
    Free Member

Yeh, well I have also emailed ibis themselves to see what they suggest. Had a good look brought that forum but they are mainly talking about dual ring guides on the hd, rather than singles on regular mojos.

dreednya

If it is compatible with a Mojo SL then wouldn’t it be ok for a standard Mojo? I thought the only difference between the two was the SL finishing kit of Ti bolts throughout.

I’ve a Mojo SL with XX front rings and thinking about a chain retention device for downhill type runs

Highland28
    Free Member

Yeh got an email back from Ibis, saying i have the option of anything that will fit on the sl, I have also been told that the MRP mini g2 that ibis sell themselves. The other option i have is going 1×10 and buying the new XTR shadow+ rear mech, the only problem with this is the extra costs, obviously the mech is expensive on its own, but i would aso still need to get an mrp1x, new cassette, chain (I am waiting before i need these anyway though), 10sp chain ring (should have one from the new cranks I had to buy) and a new xt shoifter to replace the 9sp ones i have got.
    So i am still thinking 1×9 due to the costs of going 10sp, unless i can be convinced that it is soooo much better.

vinnyeh

cheap soution -bbg do a 64bcd guard to replace the 22t ring, for $18 posted, which is slightly larger than the 32t ring, to stop the chain falling in. Combine it with a bb mounted blackspire stinger (yes, I know it’s for a double, but will still work with one ring) and you should be right.. Or for a wee bit more, get the blackspire blackguard instead of the bbg one.

Highland28
    Free Member

Cheers vinneyh, cheap and cheerful way of trying it out 🙂 seen a version of that on mtbr forums but didn’t want to have to buy the whole lot. If i like the 1 chainring a lot I might be tempted to go with that new xtr mech but we will see, 10sp does seem to be the way to go. But i just seem to be spending so much money on that bike at the moment!!!

neil853
    Free Member

I was faced with the same issue, I have a full 9 speed XTR drivetrain which is only 6 months or so old. As much as I would love to go for the new clutch mech its just not worth spending £300-£400 on replacing the bits yet.

I’m happy with the 1×9 right now, i’ll replace the 9spd bits maybe next spring/summer.

Can recomend the MRP mini G2, very good, quiet, very little rubbing.

Highland28
    Free Member

Yeh I think he idea of the xtr+ mech is a great idea, but having to change everything so that I can go to 10sp is a little ott! Have got that backplate thing and the stinger I have already got. Would love to wait and see if shimano take out a 9am version of the mech but think that is unlikely 🙁 think he mrp g2 is the only worthwhile option if I like it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1×9 chain device for mojo?’ is closed to new replies.