Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1×10 29er?
  • House
    Free Member

I’ve been riding my new Yeti Big Top (29er) for a few weeks now as a singlespeed and love it. Mayhem entries go live tonight and I am entering with a team of non singlespeeders. I think I should probably think about getting gears for Mayhem and the summer and was thinking of going 1×10. Am I mad?

rOcKeTdOg

No

BigDummy
    Free Member

How could it be “mad” to add 9 gears?

I run a Karate Monkey 9-speed personally. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    House
    Free Member

I guess the question is more, if I am putting gears on, why just 1×10 – rather than 2×10???

– I am not sure why I am having such a problem with this point – just that I have had so much fun single speeding over winter…

bunnerscj
    Free Member

House,you running the ss dropout chips on the big top or just a tensioner off the mech mount ?
    Last time I tried evolution imports the chips were not available ?
    How does it ride (got a big top just not built yet) ?

Cheers

House
    Free Member

… BigDummy – I have to own up to not knowing what a Karate Monkey was – just looked it up – sweet!
    😀

House
    Free Member

bunnerscj – I have the singlespeed dropouts – and they work a treat! It’s my first 29er, but I am a big guy (6’4) and for the first time I feel like I am on a bike made for me! Yes it rolls really well and is great over rough ground but the best bit for me is the cornering – feels like it is on rails… I haven’t stopped grinning since I completed the build about three weeks ago!

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Been on 29ers for 18 months now, 6ft 4″, 15st and love em, never go back. Riding 26 wheeled bike is now like riding a kids bike for me.

I have gone 1×9 on my ‘top’ as its good kit from another build, have a swift as a SS so not too fussed about ss’ing the yeti.
    Looks a lush frame, just waiting on a few bits before test ride 😆

House
    Free Member

bunnerscj – do you have an ss specific swift? how does it handle?

And yep – thinking I might gear up the Big Top and get a rigid fork ss 29er for muddy home riding later in the year…

bunnerscj
    Free Member

The swift is the newer one which can be run either but I use it as a ss specific rigid ride.
    I have had quite a few 29ers both steel and alu and with the singular fork I can honestly say its the best ride yet.
    Bit like you house,I have so enjoyed the swift and ss’ing this winter that the yeti has sat in a box for months !
    Get a swift for ss duties !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1×10 29er?’ is closed to new replies.