Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 160mm forks on a 140mm zesty?
  • portydave
    Free Member

So, has anyone done it and would you recommend it? I’m looking for some beefier forks (36mm) and eventually would like to upgrade the frame when funds allow.

Obviously it makes the bike slacker…..but will it be too slack? I’ve heard of folk using offset bushes for the rear shock to correct the angles, has anyone any experience of this?

Or if I get bigger forks should I just stick spacers in to reduce the travel until such time as I upgrade the frame?

Any thoughts welcome!

Cheers

smiff
    Free Member

imho (just ho) there’s a lot of bollocks talked about longer forks messing things up on FS bikes.. it’ll feel very slightly different, whether better or worse is up to you, just as likely you’ll prefer it. then make adjustments with stem, bar, sag, angle-headset, tyres, bushes, spacers in fork etc. i would do the spacer thing last though as extra travel is nice and it’s easier to change everything else (except headset, that is a pain).

(i just made a much more extreme change than +20mm and love it).

remember the particular angle you get any moment is largely a result of suspension travel and ride position, the terrain etc, not what it measures stood flat anyway.

edit: exception would be if you really don’t want to change your current steering feel at all, then maybe just space when you get it! even then you’re likely to get different axle to crown or trail or something, plus fork will feel different!

I would not use offset rear bushes to raise the rear end to compensate, not likely to work imho and raises your BB, see threads about this. use an angle headset if you need to, they work.

portydave
    Free Member

That’s what I was inclined to think, good to hear it from someone else though!

Had forgotten about angle headsets, problem might be getting one to fit the zesty which has odd sized diameters.

Cheers!

v10
    Free Member

If your overly worried then get 36 floats / lyrik solo air and if it doesn’t work out as you would like on the zesty space down to 140mm, then if/when you need a new frame you can crank them back up to 160.

trailmaster1985
    Free Member

I have 160mm fox 36 talas for on my Zesty. Best bike i have ever had love the change. Keeps the pedaling easy but still lets you descend like a boss. I have the dhx air 5 with pro pedal on the rear and it works a treat. As soon as you are going down hill you will be loving the extra 20mm had the old 36 150mm before then went new 160.

jimmyc223
    Free Member

Im thinking of upgrading my fox float 140 forks to Pikes. One the main reasons is I can’t stand the qr which came as standard on the Zesty and really feel I need a thru axle forks. Cant decide if I want the 150 or 160 though. I have a Zesty 314 2012 and am worried the frame wont handle the 20mm difference and that I should stick to 150. I ride pretty aggressive all mountain race enduro and plan on doing or two of the tamer downhill races this year. Anybody got any thoughts or advise please

fozzybear
    Free Member

Jimmy you can drop the pikes to 140/150 or get some fox with a 15mm front axle.

I would be cautious as Zesty frames were know to crack on occasions (My partner had one and we bought the fixed 2012 version where they resolved the cracking issues).

i’m not saying it will crack but to be aware of overly stressing a frame designed around a 140 fork.

Northwind

They don’t usually crack at teh head tube though, do they? Usually at the other end. The chat is that some Zesty and Spicy models use the same main frame with some component changes so if it’s one of those, probably fine.

And yeah, internet know-it-alls like to insist that you can’t change fork length without ruining a bike. Quite a few of my bikes have worked best with “too long” forks, my Idrive and Camber especially were only any good with more fork than they were “allowed”. Meanwhile my Scandal was rubbish with the amount of fork it was allowed, and needed less. The truth is you can’t really tell til you get into it.

But yes, the end might drop off. Carpe diem!

fozzybear
    Free Member

North your totally right.
    I’ve not seen one fail on the headtube but i have seen on the BB which longer forks will put more stress on this area.
    Most were rear triangle.

maxtorque

Mine rides like a boss with 160mm forks, although i have now “matched it” with a 160mm shock too:

It got a little more wandery on the ups, but nothing that causes an issue, and i added a wider bar / shorter stem at the same time (750/50)

I don’t think a long fork will crack a zesty tbh(especially as they share frames with the spicy) as the front end of the bike is pretty tough. (it’s the rear that snaps off 😉

martinxyz
    Free Member

I would change mine but considering how hard it is to climb on steep stuff with a fork fixed at 140, I’d have to have some kind of talas/u-turny fork.

fozzybear
    Free Member

I found the Zesty to be an excellent climber.
    Maybe one of the best Full Sus climbers I’ve ridden.

jimmyc223
    Free Member

Hi Fozzybear I think you can only drop the pikes to 140/150 on the dual air piston on the new Pikes although I might be wrong. I have heard all about the Zestys cracking but have not had an issue to date and as said have ridden it pretty hard. I actually had the early 2012 model but it was robbed and then got another one later in the year, so I am hoping this is one of the ones that the issue has been addressed. Ive decided Im going with the Pike as feel with fox they need way too much servicing. I do on average about 3-4 rides a week about 8-9 hours in riding and clock up on average about 80km so according to fox that thing should be serviced quite often. Im really impressed with the reviews on the pike and really wanna give it a go

Northwind cheers for the advise and yes I do read allot about people adjusting bikes which work out very well but did worry about stress on the headtube and cracking the frame.

Maxtorque that Zesty is looking like a right beast. I aim to upgrade the rear also but will have to await a further increase in funds before i do that. Out of interest what rear shock did you use ? I was thinking about a bos or maybe a cane creek db air. I def want more travel than the current rp23 which is set to 140 also although saying that is has served me well at this stage.

I always found the Zesty a great climber although after changing the bars and stem it did impact it a bit but the improvement going down more than made up for it.

I was thinking of getting the 150 single air but ya maybe the dual air 160 where I can adjust it might work also but again as said I worry about the stress put on the bike

Thanks all for feedback anyway it is appreciated

maxtorque

It’s a Spicy shock shuttle and CC DBair on the back for 160mm:

Pretty much ‘fit-n-forget’ so far, certainly now it’s setup i don’t spend ages fiddling with it

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2013 zesty with a 2014 pike and 2014 monarch plus piggy back shox
    Rides amazing love it!!!

jimmyc223
    Free Member

Nice 😀

portydave
    Free Member

I stuck 160mm x fusion vengances on my zesty which improved it no end! I imagine pikes etc have a shorter axle to crown, so may be a bit better with the lower BB.

I did brake my frame at the shock mount though….but it’s worth noting I did the same on the previous frame, which I ran with the stock 140mm 32’s, so wouldn’t seem to be fork related.

Cheers

blob
    Free Member

This excellent website will tell you exactly what changing the forks will do to the geometry on your bike:
    http://bikegeo.muha.cc/

Bit different, but I stuck some 170mm Vengeance on my 150mm Enduro and it’s ace

fozzybear
    Free Member

Jimmy speak to lock or tftuned they “machine” the damper rod to shorter if needed.

goyawave
    Free Member

Still waiting for my Sweeps DLA which will go on the Zesty. Might then swap out the frame for the Liteville 301 although lately wondering… why bother changing!

jimmyc223
    Free Member

Im not sure now as spoke with a Lapierre dealer who contacted Lapierre and they advised that warranty would be voided if I upgraded to a 150mm fork. Considering the issues regarding cracking and the xtra stress on the bike as a result of the upgrade I am now considering not to go ahead

goyawave
    Free Member

First ride this weekend at cwmcarn twrch trail with the Sweep DLA and what can I say – amazing! A bit of front wheel lift going up even in 130 mode but I have a smidgen more a2c than the fox 140. I will experiment with bar height. Downhill in 160 mode more stable although I have effectively lengthened the bike. I need more time and to play with the setup but very positive after the first ride…. Why then would I want to change to the liteville I crave??

hboycey
    Free Member

I have a 2010 zesty 314 which I’ve put 150mm revs on. If anything it just made the bike more playful. It doesn’t seem to have effected climbing much either. Certainly had no frame issues.

gonzy
    Free Member

i dont have a lapierre but my frame has 140mm travel at the rear and i’m currently running a marzocchi 55cr with 170mm. it rides fine.
    IMO 140/160 should be fine on most bikes. i have a friend who has a zesty with this combo and he loves it!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘160mm forks on a 140mm zesty?’ is closed to new replies.